Author Topic: The Real Reason Liberal Churches Are Losing Members  (Read 1272 times)

Hal

The Real Reason Liberal Churches Are Losing Members
« on: June 27, 2014, 11:30:28 pm »
Michael Brown

Almost every day conservative Christians are told that if we don't become more enlightened and progressive, we will become irrelevant to society as our numbers continue to decline.

In reality, the opposite is true: We will only be relevant to the extent we honor God and hold fast to biblical truth, which is why the more "progressive" and "enlightened churches" are the ones losing members the most rapidly.

God will back His gospel, not some man-made, watered-down message.

God will back the exaltation of Jesus, not some muddled, every-path-leads-to-God nonsense.

God will back the call to take up the cross and live for Him, not some flesh-pleasing success formula.

God will back biblical standards, not some meet-me-halfway, worldly-wise compromise.

The truth be told, most people who are serious about spiritual things are looking to join with people of like mind, while most people who don't take God's Word seriously will not take spiritual commitment seriously either.

http://www.charismanews.com/opinion/44427-the-real-reason-liberal-churches-are-losing-members

Fat

Re: The Real Reason Liberal Churches Are Losing Members
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 11:50:36 am »
In reality, the opposite is true: We will only be relevant to the extent we honor God and hold fast to biblical truth, which is why the more "progressive" and "enlightened churches" are the ones losing members the most rapidly.

I think Mr. Brown is right on the mark. Many churches is becoming lukewarm! Christ said He will spit you out.

Kimberley

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 06:15:39 am »
Good morning Fat and Hal. You both make very good points. Your point, Hal, of Jesus disgust and his 'spitting' them out is rendered 'vomit' in our trans. Can't not get the sense of his level of disgust!  Many want a style of worship that conforms to their level of what they consider good. The above replies mentioned a "watered down, all roads lead to..." type of faith. I like how Paul states the matter at 2Tim. After stating the times we are living in at 3:1-5 he writes in 4:3-4, "For there will be a period of time when they will not put up with the wholesome teaching, but according to their own desires, they will surround themselves with teachers to have their ears tickled(1Tim. 4:1-3). They will turn away from listening to the truth and give attention to false stories." We live in a world where society has few or any moral wrongs any longer. Everything is OK if it make YOU happy. A ME MYSELF AND I world and satisfaction and gratification need to be instant. Reality: thats not a christian way of life.

Fat

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 08:48:18 am »
True and sad. We have a whole nation that has become the ME MYSELF society. Prosperity churches are springing up all over the country.

Hal

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 06:07:24 pm »
Going to some of these churches, these days, is like going to a rock concert. It is an entertaining experience not a spiritual experience.

Kimberley

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 06:24:17 am »
Good morning Fat, Hal, Hope your day is starting off good. Waiting for ride to the K.H. I like the term used above, 'prosperity churches'. Or 'rock concer, entertainment'. People want to be entertained and not taught. No chance of being instructed that what they may be doing in their daily lives God may not approve of. That isn't what they go to hear. Not all people, I am sure many have sincere interests. But its common, just as common sense, common courtesy, common DECENSY are decidedly on the way out. 2Tim. 3:16-17. You both have an enjoyable relaxing day.