Author Topic: Luke 3:7-9  (Read 836 times)

clark thompson

Luke 3:7-9
« on: February 20, 2015, 06:33:54 pm »
Luke 3:7-9 King James Version (KJV)
7 Then said he to the multitude that came forth to be baptized of him, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?
8 Bring forth therefore fruits worthy of repentance, and begin not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, That God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.
9 And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: every tree therefore which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

Luke 3:7-9
CLV 7 He said, then, to the throngs going out to be baptized by him, "Progeny of vipers! Who intimates to you to be fleeing from the impending indignation? 8 Produce, then, fruits worthy of repentance. And you should not begin to be saying among yourselves, 'For a father we have Abraham,' for I am saying to you that God is able, out of these stones, to rouse children to Abraham." 9 Now already the ax also is lying at the root of the trees. Every tree, then, which is not producing ideal fruit is hewn down and cast into the fire."

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

7 We learn from Matthew that the crowds of people he shouted to be the Pharisees. Baptism shows that we are ready to meet Jesus face to face. Those who have Jesus should be baptized thru faith we avoid God’s wrath by the grace of Jesus.

8 Just because they were Jewish did not mean they were in God’s grace, Being of the faith is not something you are born into you may be born into blessings which the Jews were but their blessings did not mean they had faith. When we have faith the Spirit will show by bearing the fruit of the Spirit in us. The Spirit will work in us if we have Him.

9 Judgment will come one day many will be surprised where they go because all the work they thought they had done for something but because it was not for Him then it was for nothing.

Zant Law

• ZLaw
Re: Luke 3:7-9
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 11:42:50 pm »
I'll give it a try.

7 A generation of sinners coming to show repentance by Johns baptism (VS 3 a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins) -  the wrath to come could be the distruction of Israel or maybe the coming day of judgement.

8 Repentance requires more than talk or even baptism, it requires a change in your heart and life, John ask them to show this change. The reference to stones could be from Ezekiel 36:26 ( I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh.) Also could be talking of the Gentiles hearts, Gal 3:29, who would become sons of Abraham by adoption.

9 Mat 3:10 is almost the same verse of irreversible  judgement.

ZLaw

Hal

Re: Luke 3:7-9
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 04:28:08 pm »
No doubt that verse 9 is about the Hell judgement.

See Matthew on the same conversation:
 Matthew 3:12 “His winnowing fork is in His hand, and He will thoroughly clear His threshing floor; and He will gather His wheat into the barn, but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.