Author Topic: Luke 3:15-20  (Read 771 times)

clark thompson

Luke 3:15-20
« on: March 06, 2015, 06:26:09 pm »
Luke 3:15-20 King James Version (KJV)
15 And as the people were in expectation, and all men mused in their hearts of John, whether he were the Christ, or not;
16 John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire:
17 Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and will gather the wheat into his garner; but the chaff he will burn with fire unquenchable.
18 And many other things in his exhortation preached he unto the people.
19 But Herod the tetrarch, being reproved by him for Herodias his brother Philip's wife, and for all the evils which Herod had done,
20 Added yet this above all, that he shut up John in prison.

Luke 3:15-20
CLV 15 Now at the people hoping, and all reasoning in their hearts concerning John, lest at some time he may be the Christ, 16 John answers, saying to all, "I, indeed, in water am baptizing you. Yet coming is One stronger than I, the thong of Whose sandals I am not competent to loose. He will be baptizing you in holy spirit and fire, 17 Whose winnowing shovel is in His hand, and He will be scouring His threshing floor and be gathering the grain into His barn, yet the chaff shall He burn up with unextinguished fire." 18 Indeed, then, entreating about many different things also, he brought the evangel to the people." 19 Now Herod the tetrarch, being exposed by him concerning Herodias, the wife of his brother Philip, and concerning all the wicked things which Herod does, 20 adds this also to them all: he locks up John in jail.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

15 The people were looking for the Messiah, John was not Him and if they truly listened to him they would know that.

16 Jesus was far more important that John but John had his purpose. Jesus would baptize with the Holy Spirit, Jesus was the greatest thing to come to earth, God coming to us.

17 Jesus came to grace but by doing this people would face judgment but without Him coming everyone would face judgment.

18 This is what some are called to do today share the Good News the gospel, We all are called to share how Jesus changed our life but sometimes He chooses us to share more and then sometimes He calls people to be like John to proclaim the gospel.

19 Many people would have not liked John because the people thought he was the Christ which causes him to have many followers. John preached against sin no matter what the results would be.

20 John went to prison, he would be in there for a time until they killed him later. Sometimes we have to face unjust punishments for serving the Lord.

JB Horn

Re: Luke 3:15-20
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 11:36:17 pm »
Hi Clark

Just like to point out that verse 20 is not in proper sequence. I don't know why Luke wrote it that way but if you jump ahead to verse 21 it reminds you that Jesus has not been baptized by John yet.

Luke 3:21 And it happened in the baptizing of all the people, Jesus also being baptized, and praying, and the heaven was opened.

JB