Author Topic: Luke 5:17-19  (Read 650 times)

clark thompson

Luke 5:17-19
« on: January 08, 2016, 05:10:03 pm »
KJV 17 And it came to pass on a certain day, as he was teaching, that there were Pharisees and doctors of the law sitting by, which were come out of every town of Galilee, and Judaea, and Jerusalem: and the power of the Lord was present to heal them. 18 And, behold, men brought in a bed a man which was taken with a palsy: and they sought means to bring him in, and to lay him before him. 19 And when they could not find by what way they might bring him in because of the multitude, they went upon the housetop, and let him down through the tiling with his couch into the midst before Jesus.

A Voice In The Wilderness Bible
5:17 And it happened on a certain day, as He was teaching, that there were Pharisees and teachers of the Law sitting by, who had come out of every town of Galilee, Judea, and Jerusalem. And the power of the Lord was present to heal them.
5:18 Then behold, men brought on a bed a man who was paralyzed, whom they sought to bring in and lay before Him.
5:19 And when they could not find how they might bring him in, because of the crowd, they went up on the housetop and let him down with his bed through the tiling into the midst before Jesus.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

17 Teachers were coming to hear Him teach. People were coming to be healed. His fame was becoming known and the Holy Land. By us receiving His teachings as Truth and accepting Him He heals us of the thing we need healed of most sin.

18 This man had to trust in these men to be brought to Jesus. Others often times as brought by others to Jesus are we willing to bring them to Him. We need to have a desire to want to be in the present of Jesus and go to Him when we have need but we should allow help bring others to Him.

19 They did whatever they needed to do to make sure they got him to Jesus do we stop when challenge comes or do we do all we can do to get them to Jesus?

Hal

Re: Luke 5:17-19
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 03:41:08 pm »
Hello Clark

My thoughts:
We can conclude from the text that the men carrying the paralyzed man had faith in Jesus's power to heal. The same could be said of the paralyzed man and some of the crowd which had been following Jesus. However I don't believe we can assume the same about the Pharisees and scribes, I believe their motives were not that of faith but possibly of jealousy.

Later on in the chapter we see that Jesus challenges there faith not by healing the paralyzed man, but by first forgiving the man of his sins. Time and time again the Pharisees show up in the crowd of people listening to Jesus teach about His Father and we see that they continually try to trick Jesus, either by misleading or misunderstanding the Scriptures or making accusations about Jesus that were faults.

Isn't it a good thing that the friends of this paralyzed man were not like the friends of Job?

Hal