Bible Talk > Apologetics

Covenant Theology is Not Replacement Theology

<< < (2/2)

philer:
i think i see,but disagree with some of what was quoted,in the sense of the church not being isreal i don't agree with, the church is  isreal ,we are grafted in adopted, so we cannot be the church and not isreal ,we have to be isreal if we are adopted,if we say we are not isreal we are not adopted and also then not part of the church if you will. This is not saying that physical isreal was the church as pointed out in what was quoted ,they are correct in the spiritual jew is a new thing GOD did by putting his spirit and law in us and making us a jew inwardly . The scriptures don't eliminate the physical jew as replaced but disconnected from the root until they recieve the spirit of GOD and believe in christ and repent etc, as are the gentiles ,all were sinners, on equal ground in that respect all needing salvation which had always been so , isreal is a physical group of people called isreal but they are not all isreal that are descended from isreal romans 9:6 Not as though the word of God has taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel: romans 9:7Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall your seed be called. romans 9:8 That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.

so in other words ,they (physical isreal) may have been called isreal, but they are not isreal (spiritual isreal) because they were not children of the promise. so as far as replacement? no they were never the church, or spiritual isreal . were the promises to physical isreal? according to paul the promises were to the seed or children of the promise or spiritual isreal ,so were they replaced? i would say not according to this understanding.

JB Horn:

Theologies like this pop up when man has a hard time explaining something usually because they can't understand or see God's motives. Man is impatient, and feels that they have the right to have God's plans made clear to them. As the quote explains the nation Israel had disappeared for 1900 years and man had to make an excuse for it not existing so they came up with the idea that it had been replaced by the Church. This was the only way in some men's mind to make the prophecy of Israel come true, but in 1948 God showed man how inpatient and how stupid he is. Unfortunately many churches still carry on this theology today, for instance Jehovah's Witnesses claim that the 144,000 prophesied in Revelations will be members of their church, even though John made it clear that those 144,000 would be Jewish males. In the end, the church which is the assembly of believers will be both Jew and Gentile, Romans 1:16, Colossians 3:11

"I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy."

Fat:

--- Quote from: JB Horn on November 03, 2012, 11:04:21 pm ---
Theologies like this pop up when man has a hard time explaining something usually because they can't understand or see God's motives. Man is impatient, and feels that they have the right to have God's plans made clear to them. As the quote explains the nation Israel had disappeared for 1900 years and man had to make an excuse for it not existing so they came up with the idea that it had been replaced by the Church. This was the only way in some men's mind to make the prophecy of Israel come true, but in 1948 God showed man how inpatient and how stupid he is. Unfortunately many churches still carry on this theology today, for instance Jehovah's Witnesses claim that the 144,000 prophesied in Revelations will be members of their church, even though John made it clear that those 144,000 would be Jewish males. In the end, the church which is the assembly of believers will be both Jew and Gentile, Romans 1:16, Colossians 3:11

"I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy." 

--- End quote ---

The LDS preach that the American Indians were all descended from the Jews and that America was going to be the new Jerusalem. I don't know if that really comes under replacement theology or maybe we could call it relocation theology.  :-\

--- Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zion_(Latter_Day_Saints) ---Soon after the founding of the Latter Day Saint church in April 1830, Smith designated a physical location for the Saints to start to build Zion, which he taught would be the future New Jerusalem. On July 20, 1831, Smith stated that he had received a revelation that designated Missouri as the "land which I have appointed and consecrated for the gathering of the saints." The revelation further stated, "Behold, the place which is now called Independence is the center place; and the spot for the temple is lying westward…" Smith later envisioned the temple as being the starting point for the creation of a New Jerusalem: "Verily this is the word of the Lord, that the city New Jerusalem shall be built by the gathering of the saints, beginning at this place, even the place of the temple, which temple shall be reared in this generation."
--- End quote ---

Moss:

Deuteronomy 9:5-7
You are not going to take possession of their land because of your righteousness or your integrity. Instead, the Lord your God will drive out these nations before you because of their wickedness, in order to keep the promise He swore to your fathers, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.  Understand that the Lord your God is not giving you this good land to possess because of your righteousness, for you are a stiff-necked people.   "Remember and do not forget how you provoked the Lord your God in the wilderness. You have been rebelling against the Lord from the day you left the land of Egypt until you reached this place.

The Lord always fulfills his promises.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version