Author Topic: Keep yourselves from idols  (Read 1419 times)

biblebuf

Keep yourselves from idols
« on: June 22, 2012, 12:14:46 am »
Keep yourselves from idols. (1 John 5:21 )
My son, give me thine heart. (Prov. 23:26 ) Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. (Colossians 3:2 )
Son of man, these men have set up their idols in their heart and put the stumblingblock of their iniquity before their face: should I be enquired of at all by them? (Ezek. 14:3 ) Mortify … your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry. (Colossians 3:5 ) They that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare. For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. But thou, O man of God, flee these things. (1 Tim. 6:9-11 )
If riches increase, set not your heart upon them. (Psa. 62:10 ) My fruit is better than gold, yea, than fine gold; and my revenue than choice silver. (Prov. 8:19 )
Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. (Matt. 6:21 ) The Lord looketh on the heart. (1 Sam. 16:7 )

JB Horn

Re: Keep yourselves from idols
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 10:37:31 am »
The natural man goes after money, sex, and power. That is who he is :(

biblebuf

Re: Keep yourselves from idols
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 07:06:24 pm »
The natural man goes after money, sex, and power. That is who he is :(

True.
The natural man gets nothing from the Spirit, so he looks to what's on the earth.

1 Corinthians 2:14 KJV
But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned .

But John is speaking to the saved not the Natural Man.