Author Topic: What does the Bible say about truth? - The Handbook of Bible Application  (Read 769 times)

Hal

What does the Bible say about truth?

From The Handbook of Bible Application

BIBLE READING: Proverbs 12:1-28
KEY BIBLE VERSE: Truth stands the test of time; lies are soon exposed. (Proverbs 12:19 , tlb)

Truth never changes. Truth is always timely; it applies today and in the future. Because it is connected with God’s changeless character, it is also changeless. Think for a moment about the centuries that have passed since these proverbs were written. Consider the countless hours that have been spent in careful study of every sentence of Scripture. The Bible has withstood the test of time. Because God is truth, you can trust his Word to guide you.
BIBLE READING: Job 14:1-22
KEY BIBLE VERSE: If a man dies, will he live again? All the days of my hard service I will wait for my renewal to come. (Job 14:14 , niv)

Truth gains strength under pressure. Job’s profound speech illustrates a great truth: to have a right set of doctrines is not enough. To know what to believe is not all that is required to please God. Truth untested by life’s experiences may become static and stagnant. Suffering can bring a dynamic quality to life. Just as drought drives the roots of a tree deeper to find water, so suffering can drive us beyond superficial acceptance of truth to dependence on God for hope and life.
BIBLE READING: Mark 15:1-15
KEY BIBLE VERSE: Wanting to satisfy the crowd, Pilate released Barabbas to them. He had Jesus flogged, and handed him over to be crucified. (Mark 15:15 , niv)

Truth is not nullified by compromise or wrongdoing. Although Jesus was innocent according to Roman law, Pilate caved in to political pressure. He abandoned what he knew was right. Trying to second-guess the Jewish leaders, Pilate gave a decision that would please everyone while keeping himself safe. When we lay aside God’s clear statements of right and wrong and make decisions based on the preferences of others, we fall into compromise and lawlessness. God promises to honor those who do right, not those who make everyone happy.
BIBLE READING: Luke 9:28-36
KEY BIBLE VERSE: A voice came from the cloud, saying, “This is my Son, whom I have chosen; listen to him.” (Luke 9:35 , niv)

Truth matches the teaching of Jesus Christ—the one who is truth. As God’s Son, Jesus has God’s power and authority; thus his words should be our final authority. If a person’s teaching is true, it will agree with Jesus’ teachings. Test everything you hear against Jesus’ words, and you will not be led astray. Don’t be hasty to seek advice and guidance from merely human sources and thereby neglect Christ’s message.
BIBLE READING: John 8:30-47
KEY BIBLE VERSE: Then many of the Jewish leaders who heard him say these things began believing him to be the Messiah. Jesus said to them, “You are truly my disciples if you live as I tell you to, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” (John 8:30-32 , tlb)

Truth sets us free. Jesus himself is the truth that sets us free (John 8:36 ). He is the source of truth, the perfect standard of what is right. He frees us from the consequences of sin, from self-deception, and from deception by Satan. He shows us clearly the way to eternal life with God. Thus Jesus does not give us freedom to do what we want, but to follow God. As we seek to serve God, Jesus’ perfect truth frees us to be all that God meant us to be.
BIBLE READING: John 14:1-14
KEY BIBLE VERSE: Jesus told him, “I am the Way—yes, and the Truth and the Life. No one can get to the Father except by means of me.” (John 14:6 , tlb)

Truth challenges us to submit to its demands. Jesus says he is the only way to God the Father. Some people may argue that this way is too narrow. In reality, it is wide enough for the whole world, if the world chooses to accept it. Instead of worrying about how limited it sounds to have only one way, we should be saying, “Thank you, God, for providing a sure way to get to you!”

Truth is found in the person of Jesus. As the way, Jesus is our path to the Father. As the truth, he is the reality of all God’s promises. As the life, he joins his divine life to ours, both now and eternally.

Moss

I like the expression “truth does not change”.

I wish that the church leadership would understand this. They continually Say that parts of the scripture is not relevant in today’s Society.

Example: same sex marriage and guy leadership in the church.