Bible Talk > Apologetics

Give thee A Covenant of the People !

(1/10) > >>

savedbymercy:
Isa 42:6

I the LORD have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles;

This is a prophecy of Jesus Christ in His Covenant Mission from the Father, and the promise is that He is given for a Covenant for the People, for a light of the gentiles ! See also Isa 49:8 !

Now Christ being given as a Covenant for the People means that He is the one who fulfills all the stipulations and conditions of the Covenant in order to the people reaping the benefits of it, in order that those benefits shall be Sovereignly applied to them ! One such benefit is to give them Spiritual Illumination and Faith. As here Acts 26:18

To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

Fat:

--- Quote from: savedbymercy on July 11, 2012, 05:34:05 am ---Isa 42:6

I the LORD have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles;

This is a prophecy of Jesus Christ in His Covenant Mission from the Father, and the promise is that He is given for a Covenant for the People, for a light of the gentiles ! See also Isa 49:8 !

Now Christ being given as a Covenant for the People means that He is the one who fulfills all the stipulations and conditions of the Covenant in order to the people reaping the benefits of it, in order that those benefits shall be Sovereignly applied to them ! One such benefit is to give them Spiritual Illumination and Faith. As here Acts 26:18

To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

--- End quote ---

Hello Mercy

I'm not too sure what you're saying here but it appears that you believe that Christ was first promised to the Jews and that is not so.

savedbymercy:
fat

it appears that you believe that Christ was first promised to the Jews and that is not so.
You must did not read vs 6 of Isa 42:6

6 I the Lord have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles;

Fat:

--- Quote from: savedbymercy on July 11, 2012, 11:13:56 am ---fat

it appears that you believe that Christ was first promised to the Jews and that is not so.
You must did not read vs 6 of Isa 42:6

6 I the Lord have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles;

--- End quote ---

You have to go back farther them that to understand why it is important to God that we come to Him. The promise of Christ was not originally made to the Jews.

savedbymercy:
Give thee A Covenant of the People ! cont - Yesterday, 08:02 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More on what it means that Christ was given as a Covenant for the People as in Isa 42:6

Isa 49:8

Thus saith the Lord, In an acceptable time have I heard thee, and in a day of salvation have I helped thee: and I will preserve thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, to establish the earth, to cause to inherit the desolate heritages;

Now what God is saying is that Christ to those people is their Federal Head and Representative of the Everlasting Covenant of grace, in a similar manner as Adam was their Covenant Head at the beginning of the world; and as Adam failed [by design] that Covenant headship by his disobedience, all those he was an covenant head to partook of the consequences thereof, and in like manner, as Christ being given as a Covenant Head Isa 42:6 by His obedience and confirming of the Covenant [Dan 9:27] those whom He was given for shall partake of all the consequences of it ! One of many of the consequences of the Covenant that Christ met all the conditions for is Faith or believing Heb 12:2

2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

1 Pet 1:20-21

20 Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,

21 Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.

This is so because one of the consequences of the covenant adam disobeyed was unbelief Rom 11:32

32 For God hath concluded them all[The Many] in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.

2 Cor 4:3-4

3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:

4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

God delivered all the elect in Adam to unbelief by nature, and the only recovery from it is through Christ's Covenant Blood being shed for one ! All for whom He died shall be delivered from unbelief, and faith given is the evidence of it !

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version