Author Topic: Francis Schaeffer  (Read 1198 times)

macuser

Francis Schaeffer
« on: February 16, 2013, 02:26:32 pm »
I like to discuss a man named Francis Schaeffer, he was born in 1912 in Pennsylvania. He attended a liberal Presbyterian church and early in his life, in his teens, he decided that the  church could not answer the questions about life that he had. He approached the ministers and they were unable to provide him with any Scripture that supported Christianity. Like many others like CS Lewis, he decided to study the Bible for the purpose showing it was flawed. However, upon reading the Bible from cover to cover he found but the Bible did in fact at the answers that he was seeking and not getting from the church. At the age of 17 he became a Christian and later on in life he attended seminary. As time went on he found that the church, as a whole, was lacking in the ability bring about fruits the Christianity should be producing for Christ. After doing some soul-searching, in 1955 he decided to start a faith ministry called it L'Abi (shelter). This was a place were people seeking the answers that he had been seeking could go to and find the answers. In his life he wrote a number of books and also with his son produced some movies. He became a worldwide known apologetic, he believed that a Christian should not be afraid to debate their faith good with an open mind and showing the unbeliever that he was willing to listen to their point of view in exchange for them listening to his point of view. He was very successful in his endeavors. He knew that while debating an unbeliever if he could get the unbeliever to open his mind and look at the Scriptures without a preconceived ideas, that God would always win the argument.

I believe the real moral of the story is Francis Schaeffer could not get his answers from his liberal church pastors so he went to the one real source of answers for a Christian, or unbeliever for that matter, and he found the truth. Sometimes we cannot depend upon the local church to be able to give us all the answers, that is why the Lord has sent us our helper and comforter, the Holy Ghost.

Zant Law

• ZLaw
Re: Francis Schaeffer
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 10:49:21 pm »
I have to admit that I never heard of the good Doctor before your post so I looked him up. Seems like most call him a presuppositionalist theologian and some call him a Evidentialism theologian. Which means he must have been a complicated guy. By the way it looks like his son hated him. :( Your description kind of puts him in-bettween.

We have discussed before that much of the church has lost its way. Many church leaders measure success by the number of people attending services on Sunday, and the weight of the offering plates after the service. The term liberal church could be synonymous with the term most churches in today's world. I believe that Dr. Francis Schaeffer would've run into the same problems in the majority of today's churches as he did when he was a teenager.

Fat

Re: Francis Schaeffer
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 01:58:21 pm »

We have discussed before that much of the church has lost its way. Many church leaders measure success by the number of people attending services on Sunday, and the weight of the offering plates after the service. The term liberal church could be synonymous with the term most churches in today's world. I believe that Dr. Francis Schaeffer would've run into the same problems in the majority of today's churches as he did when he was a teenager.

Political correctness has turn our churches into congregations of cowards, afraid of the outside world. Some pastors either do not have the answers because they have not studied the Scripture with the assistance of the Holy Ghost, or they are too cowardly to give the truth in fear of repercussions by the secular world.

Revelation 21:8 CSB
But the cowards, unbelievers, vile, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars-their share will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death."