Author Topic: James 2:10-13  (Read 1136 times)

clark thompson

James 2:10-13
« on: March 17, 2013, 05:16:30 am »

James 2:10-13

New King James Version (NKJV)

10 For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all. 11 For He who said, “Do not commit adultery,”[a] also said, “Do not murder.” Now if you do not commit adultery, but you do murder, you have become a transgressor of the law. 12 So speak and so do as those who will be judged by the law of liberty. 13 For judgment is without mercy to the one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment.

these are my thoughts please share yours
   10 We are all liable to have broken the law at one point.
    11 Jesus' sermon on the mound shows that all are fallen from God's glory for instance if we lust in our hearts it is adultery in God's eyes. We all transgressors of the law.
    12 We are liberated by our belief in Christ dieing for our sins and rasing from death to life as He did.
      13 If we do not have the Spirt in our lifes we can not effectly show mercy because God is the only one that can show mercy and those that our God's thru faith. We are to show mercy because God gave us mercy.

better to be a servant of the King than to be a king in hell

JB Horn

Re: James 2:10-13
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 01:05:19 pm »
We are being told that all sinners no matter what the sin are guilty of violating the law, that is all the law. We will be treated no different being a liar or a murderer. All sin carries the same punishment.

When God tells us that mercy triumphs over judgment, He is telling us that if judgment is given to us we will be condemned for there can be no other judgment than that of a just judgment. For us the hope is in God's mercy, but mercy has to come before the judgment. Before you can receive mercy you must admit that you have committed the crime, or violated the law being judged. To receive mercy you must not only admit that you violated the law but you must be repentant, meaning you must have a change in your heart and your life. Mercy does not come without first the showing of repentance. The mercy that God gives us is that we will not have to face judgment for our sins, they will be covered as if they never happened. We will be seen as righteous in God's eyes.

You cannot be saved from judgment just because you showed mercy to someone else in this life. There is no Scripture that teaches salvation can be earned through man's mercy. Did not the mob show mercy to a criminal named Barabbas?

We are to forgive.
 Then Peter came to Him and said, "Lord, how many times could my brother sin against me and I forgive him? As many as seven times?" "I tell you, not as many as seven," Jesus said to him, "but 70 times seven.

Fat

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 02:01:51 pm »
True JB, mercy is a work but is only a good work when it is done to glorify our Lord. If that is what you are saying here than I agree with you. Showing mercy can be a self-serving act, kings and dictators have done it for centuries.

macuser

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 08:19:00 am »
I think CT is right on. If mercy is not coming from The Spirit it will not be effective for God's  plan.