Author Topic: Defining Works  (Read 1342 times)

Hal

Defining Works
« on: January 16, 2013, 07:27:05 pm »
Let's try to define works, I'll give you couple verses here to start off with, first is John 14:15 - "if you love me, you will keep my commandments." Second verse is Matthews 22:39 the second is like it love your neighbor as yourself. Now Christ was referring to the first of that statement in 37 which was the commandment which is most important and is of  courses to love your God and but he was not talking of the 10 Commandments. The Jews had approximately 613 Commandments which they considered to be from God. And Christ was saying the second most important in all the commandments was love your neighbor as yourself any further went on to say that these first two commandments loving God and loving your neighbor, were the basis for all the other commandments in the Bible.
Aren't we talking about going out and doing works while helping other people aren't we doing it because as John 14 says if you love me. We are not doing this work, whatever it may be, because were expecting some sort of payment. We are doing it out of our love for our Creator and Lord. In the Ephesians 2:10 Paul tells us that we were created by Christ, in Christ for good works, which God prepared ahead of time so that we should walk in Him. In other words our walk with Christ will bring about opportunity to do good works and we should be prepared when these opportunity's arise. We should be doing these good works not because the church congregation assigned them to us or that we are trying to earn favor with Christ, but because we have devoted ourselves to Christ and our love for Him and our neighbors we also love and serve.
If I was going to define works I would define works as a byproduct of love for our Lord and our fellow man.

Rom 4:4 Now to the one who works, pay is not considered as a gift, but as something owed. 5 But to the one who does not work, but believes on Him who declares righteous the ungodly, his faith is credited for righteousness.

Fat

Re: Defining Works
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 10:47:27 pm »
Exactly! If your child fell in the pool and was drowning would you considered a good work to jump in and save your child? Of course not, you do it because you love your child and not because you were trying to find favor with your child. Now if you didn't try to save your child then there would be no love. James put it: You see that faith was active together with his works, and by works, faith was perfected.

JB Horn

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 09:23:21 am »
The greatest good work, the work on the cross.

John 15:13 CSB
No one has greater love than this, that someone would lay down his life for his friends.

Isn't this the work Christ did for us, and it came out of love because He owed us nothing. It was us that were in debt to Him.

Fat

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 10:53:07 am »
Amen JB

The Jews reject Christ for the law, believing they could earn their salvation by the works of the law.

Moss

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 10:57:24 am »
I like the idea that works shows love, or as James put it faith is shown in works.