Bible Talk > Sound doctrine

Is there another way?

(1/8) > >>

Jack Koons:
Is it possible for God to be sovereign, AND allow man to exercise his free will, at the same time?

That is the million dollar question!

Calvinism on one end of the spectrum, believing on the absolute sovereignty of God; and Arminianism on the other end of the spectrum, believing in the absolute will of man; or, is there something else?

Covenant Theology vs. Dispensationalism?

These are just two examples of major Doctrines, absolutely opposed to the other; but could there be a balance between the two?

Why is it necessary for men to hold on to one end of the spectrum so hard, that to even consider any other possibility; would be absolute heresy?

Jack

Fat:

--- Quote from: Jack Koons on June 20, 2013, 08:48:31 am ---Is it possible for God to be sovereign, AND allow man to exercise his free will, at the same time?

That is the million dollar question!

Calvinism on one end of the spectrum, believing on the absolute sovereignty of God; and Arminianism on the other end of the spectrum, believing in the absolute will of man; or, is there something else?

Covenant Theology vs. Dispensationalism?

These are just two examples of major Doctrines, absolutely opposed to the other; but could there be a balance between the two?

Why is it necessary for men to hold on to one end of the spectrum so hard, that to even consider any other possibility; would be absolute heresy?

Jack

--- End quote ---

The answer to your question is in the bible.

2 Tim 4
2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove , rebuke , exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine. 3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; 4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

I got a good idea Jack, let's all believe the truth.

Zant Law:
There is only one way and that road is narrow.
You're going to see many people with many different doctrines in heaven, however they will all arrive there on the same road.

Jack Koons:
Hello Zant,

Indeed the road to Heaven is narrow. The we face in theology is that as we pass through time men have a tendency to get 'hung up' on some point of doctrine, and that point then gets 'tweaked' just a little bit from 'center'. That is the reason we have doctrines in Christianity that are at opposite ends of the spectrum. Theologians get so tied up in the pride of being taught, and therefore 'knowing' the truth; they refuse to actually do a balanced study of God's Word on their own. What we end up with in our schools and churches are nothing more than 'parrots' saying "Polly want a cracker". Students are trained to answer general questions, but when faced with things not covered by their teachers, the student (possibly now a teacher) only has the generic answer that doesn't address the question as presented.

For instance, on my topic, "The infallibility of the Bible", most people only know what they have been taught by men like Semler (via his writings), Griesbach (via his writings), Metzger (via his writings), and Wallace rationalism and textual criticism to the point that God's word is becoming the word of men, rather than the word of God. But if you take the time to study the issue yourself, and look at history's evidence outside of these critics; history unfolds in a whole new light.

We are told as we go through college, that looking further into any teaching 'outside of that faith' would be sin.

When I graduated, I found that as I read, and study, I realized that the 'discipline' I had been studying, didn't always 'align' with certain Bible truths. With the Bible as my anchor, and the guidance of the Holy Spirit; I began studying 'the other end' of the spectrum. Things began to make sense.

Yes the road is narrow. You see, I believe man has been, is now, and will always be saved by God's grace. (Does that sound familiar?) I also believe God is sovereign. Finally, I also believe I have a free will (no I'm not a Free Will Baptist).

Jack

Theodore A. Jones:
"For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God's sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous." Rom. 2:13 His statement really narrows it down to the point.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version