Author Topic: Luke 6:20 vs Matthews 5:3 vs meaning.  (Read 811 times)

JB Horn

Luke 6:20 vs Matthews 5:3 vs meaning.
« on: October 21, 2013, 04:49:47 pm »

I saw a thread another forum where one of the posters was trying to make a case that all poor people were going to go to heaven. The verse that the person was using was Luke 6:20. This is part of the Beatitudes but is written differently in Matthews 5:3. What Luke says, "Blessed are you who are poor for yours is the kingdom of God." Matthews writes it this way, "blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

I don't believe that Luke was present during the sermon on the Mount. On the other hand Matthews was present, this would lead more credibility to Matthew's interpretation.

What does it mean to be poor in spirit? This phrase in the Old Testament is used to refer to somebody that is humble and places themselves at the door of God's mercy.

Another way to look at it is a person that believes that when you stand before God you are Spiritually insignificant and the deserving of nothing.

Christ did not teach that all poor people are going to heaven, nor did he teach you all rich people are going to hell.

Fat

Re: Luke 6:20 vs Matthews 5:3 vs meaning.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 02:45:23 pm »
I think you're absolutely right and I believe Matthews has the correct translation. This is about humbling yourself as opposed to the way the Pharisees lived in those days. This was a constant subject that Christ addressed and this verse is in line with everything else He has said.

clark thompson

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 04:34:19 pm »
If is by grace we go to heaven thru faith.

Fat

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 08:32:18 am »
If is by grace we go to heaven thru faith.

Agreed, and I wish more people understood that it is by grace and nothing to do with us. When we stand in-front of God there can be NO pride in us because we will be there only because He brought us there. Even our faith comes from Him.

Acts 3:16 NAS
"And on the basis of faith in His name, it is the name of Jesus which has strengthened this man whom you see and know ; and the faith which comes through Him has given him this perfect health in the presence of you all.

Romans 10:17 NAS
So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ.