Author Topic: An Honor to Be Used in His Service  (Read 756 times)

macuser

An Honor to Be Used in His Service
« on: March 16, 2014, 07:34:22 pm »
An Honor to Be Used in His Service
Yet, O Lord, you are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand. Do not be angry beyond measure, O Lord; do not remember our sins forever. Oh, look upon us, we pray, for we are all your people. Isaiah 64:8-9

I thought I looked and saw the Master standing, and at his feet lay an earthen vessel. It was not broken, not unfitted for service, yet there it lay, powerless and useless, until he took it up. He held it awhile, and I saw that he was filling it, and soon I beheld him walking in his garden, where he had “gone down to gather lilies.” The earthen vessel was yet again in his hand, and with it he watered his beautiful plants and caused their fragrances to be shed forth more abundantly. Then I said to myself, “Sorrowing Christian, hush! Hush! Peace, be still! You are this earthen vessel, powerless, it is true, yet not broken, still fit for the Master’s use. Sometimes you may be laid aside altogether from active service, and the question may arise, what is the Master doing with me now? Then may a voice speak to your inmost heart, ‘He is filling the vessel, yes, only filling it to be ready for use.’ Don’t ask how he will use you. Be silent. Is it not all too great an honor for you to be used by him at all? Be content, whether thou art employed in watering the lilies or in washing the feet of the saints. It doesn’t really matter. Surely it is enough for an earthen vessel to be in the Master’s hands and employed in the Master’s service.”

By C. H. Spurgeon

JB Horn

Re: An Honor to Be Used in His Service
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 11:39:34 pm »
We were all given different skills and different tasks to accomplish. We are told to be humble, without pride and our reward will come later.

The Jews have a saying somewhat like this:
`everyone that makes himself as a servant, for the words of the law in this world, shall be made free in the world to come.'

Luke 9:48 NAS
and said to them, "Whoever receives this child in My name receives Me, and whoever receives Me receives Him who sent Me; for the one who is least among all of you, this is the one who is great."