Author Topic: Do free willers take credit for work of the Holy Ghost?  (Read 2340 times)

Moss

Do free willers take credit for work of the Holy Ghost?
« on: April 11, 2014, 11:45:06 am »
The free will crowd that claim salvation is their choice may be heading for a wake up call some day. Both Christ and Paul taught us that salvation is none of our doing. Paul warns us not to boast.

Acts 12:23 KJVA
And immediately the angel of the Lord smote him, because he gave not God the glory: and he was eaten of worms, and gave up the ghost .

JB Horn

Re: Do free willers take credit for work of the Holy Ghost?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 12:07:22 pm »
Hi Moss, I saw you post this just now and had to say something. You know I am a Calvinist but I disagree that you deny the work of the Spirit if you claim that you came to faith and belief in Christ and made the choice to follow Him.
After all isn't that the purpose of the Spirit to bring you to that point where you do make the correct choice?
I think the only denial you could make is that the Holy Spirit had a hand into bringing you to that point I think all Christians would agree that the spirit does draw you. The question is, is it only a general calling or Pacific or unresistible calling.

Moss

Re: Do free willers take credit for work of the Holy Ghost?
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 10:32:18 am »
Hi Moss, I saw you post this just now and had to say something. You know I am a Calvinist but I disagree that you deny the work of the Spirit if you claim that you came to faith and belief in Christ and made the choice to follow Him.
After all isn't that the purpose of the Spirit to bring you to that point where you do make the correct choice?
I think the only denial you could make is that the Holy Spirit had a hand into bringing you to that point I think all Christians would agree that the spirit does draw you. The question is, is it only a general calling or Pacific or unresistible calling.

Helloooo JB

But what they are saying is that they got to that point on their own and they could've not chosen the way they did. In fact they are contradicting John 6 when they say that those that chose not to come to Christ made the work of the Holy Spirit a failed work.