Author Topic: The Inevitable Penalty  (Read 1534 times)

Hal

The Inevitable Penalty
« on: July 13, 2014, 03:08:50 pm »
The Inevitable Penalty
By Oswald Chambers

“You will by no means get out of there till you have paid the last penny” (Matthew 5:26 ).
There is no heaven that has a little corner of hell in it. God is determined to make you pure, holy, and right, and He will not allow you to escape from the scrutiny of the Holy Spirit for even one moment. He urged you to come to judgment immediately when He convicted you, but you did not obey. Then the inevitable process began to work, bringing its inevitable penalty. Now you have been “thrown into prison, [and] … you will by no means get out of there till you have paid the last penny” ( 5:25–26 ). Yet you ask, “Is this a God of mercy and love?” When seen from God’s perspective, it is a glorious ministry of love. God is going to bring you out pure, spotless, and undefiled, but He wants you to recognize the nature you were exhibiting—the nature of demanding your right to yourself. The moment you are willing for God to change your nature, His recreating forces will begin to work. And the moment you realize that God’s purpose is to get you into the right relationship with Himself and then with others, He will reach to the very limits of the universe to help you take the right road. Decide to do it right now, saying, “Yes, Lord, I will write that letter,” or, “I will be reconciled to that person now.”
These sermons of Jesus Christ are meant for your will and your conscience, not for your head. If you dispute these verses from the Sermon on the Mount with your head, you will dull the appeal to your heart.
If you find yourself asking, “I wonder why I’m not growing spiritually with God?”—then ask yourself if you are paying your debts from God’s standpoint. Do now what you will have to do someday. Every moral question or call comes with an “ought” behind it—the knowledge of knowing what we ought to do.

Hal

Re: The Inevitable Penalty
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 03:14:25 pm »
The moment you are willing for God to change your nature, His recreating forces will begin to work.
This is called repentance, a turning to God and a change of life.

Zant Law

• ZLaw
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 10:41:41 am »
This is called repentance, a turning to God and a change of life.

Exactly, you can't say you're saved and go back to your worldly life. You must turn your life over to Christ not give it back to Satan.

Fat

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 11:16:52 pm »
There has to be a penalty for violating the law or the law is nonexistent. We have a society of laws yet we are becoming a lawless society  because nobody obeys them.

God has paid the penalty for our violations, we either have to accept that or we're going to have to pay the penalties are self.

Kimberley

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 05:06:44 am »
I like all your comments. We are warned not to use our knowledge of our inherited imperfection as a blind, or excuse, for badness. Remember the '70s phrase "The devil made me do!"? Knowledge is power. If we are students of God's word then we know that we are taught how Satan operates. Jehovah doesn't leave us ignorant of his standards and his standards never change. Having 'belief' has no bearing on our actions if our belief isn't motivated by a spirit of appreciation, gratitude, love and respect for our Creator. Those feeling are what motivate change in our life. Jesus said "no one comes to the Father except through me" and also that "no one comes to me unless, first, the Father draws them." Draws us, not drags us. How we respond is entirely left up to us. Pr. 27-11 "Be wise, my son, and make my heart rejoice. So that I may make a reply to him that is taunting me." Satan has slandered our God and man for about 6000 years. We can fight back for Him and bring him such joy.

Bob

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 07:34:14 pm »
Jesus said "no one comes to the Father except through me" and also that "no one comes to me unless, first, the Father draws them." Draws us, not drags us. How we respond is entirely left up to us.

Actualy that is not true.  You quote John 6:44 No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day. (NAS)

The word is Helkuo.

The NAS New Testament Greek Lexicon
 Strong's Number:   1670    
Original Word   Word Origin
elkuo   probably akin to (138)
Transliterated Word   TDNT Entry
Helkuo   2:503,227
Phonetic Spelling   Parts of Speech
hel-koo'-o        Verb
 Definition
to draw, drag off
metaph., to draw by inward power, lead, impel

NAS Word Usage - Total: 8
drag 1, dragged 2, draw 1, draws 1, drew 2, haul 1

Look also at vs 65

John 6:65 And He was saying, "For this reason I have said to you, that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted him from the Father." (NAS)

A further study of John 6 gives us even more information an the nature of our ability to come to Christ.

44 "No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day. 45 "It is written in the prophets, 'AND THEY SHALL ALL BE TAUGHT OF GOD.' Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father, comes to Me.

Note the words ALL and Everyone that means all the Elect.  From your bible  It is written in the Prophets: ‘They will all be taught by Jehovah.’ Everyone who has listened to the Father and has learned comes to me. (NWT)

The Caps is OT quote from Isaiah 54:13 And all your sons will be taught by Jehovah,
And the peace of your sons will be abundant (NWT)

Now there are teachings from the Watchtower and there are teachings from the Holy Spirit

John 14:26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you.

But the helper, the holy spirit, which the Father will send in my name, that one will teach you all things and bring back to your minds all the things I told you. (NWT)

Sister Kimberley, please don't trust your salvation to this lie you have been handed.