Author Topic: The Honor of God’s Heavy Hand  (Read 1600 times)

Fat

The Honor of God’s Heavy Hand
« on: August 10, 2014, 05:49:34 pm »
The Honor of God’s Heavy Hand
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. James 1:2-4

“I will refine them like silver and test them like gold. They will call on my name and I will answer them; I will say, ‘They are my people,’ and they will say, ‘The Lord is our God.’” Zechariah 13:9
In the ancient times, a box on the ear given by a master to a slave meant liberty—little would the freedman care how hard he was struck, when the blow meant release. By a stroke from the sword the warrior was knighted by his monarch—it was a small matter to the new knight if the royal hand was heavy. When the Lord intends to lift his servants into a higher stage of spiritual life, he frequently sends them a severe trial; he makes his Jacobs to be prevailing princes, but he confers the honor after a night of wrestling, and accompanies it with a shrunken sinew in the thigh. So we should not wish to be deprived of trials if they are the necessary attendants of spiritual advancement.

THE QUOTABLE SPURGEON

macuser

Re: The Honor of God’s Heavy Hand
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 11:23:22 pm »
When the Lord intends to lift his servants into a higher stage of spiritual life, he frequently sends them a severe trial; he makes his Jacobs to be prevailing princes, but he confers the honor after a night of wrestling, and accompanies it with a shrunken sinew in the thigh. So we should not wish to be deprived of trials if they are the necessary attendants of spiritual advancement.

Things that come easy are not cherished as mush as the things we have to work for.

Kimberley

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 04:49:57 am »
"Sends a trial", "allows a trial". James 1:13, 'When undergoing trial let NO ONE say "I am being tried by God." For with evil things God cannot be tried, nor does he himself try anyone." Jesus himself said that those following him and trying to live lives of Godly devotion would suffer persecution, even death perhaps. "If they have hated me, they will hate you also." but arn't we assured that he who endures to the END will be saved? Maybe we will come through sever trials or we die and hope for a resurrection. Remember when Job was tested? Satan slandered Job and all of us by saying we are faithful only for what we can get. But if we lost everything, as did Job, we would turn our back on God. Satan had the nerve to ask God to test Job, to harm him or test him and God said NO. He told Satan "YOU may test him but not take his life...." he was convinced of Job's integrity and faithfulness. Satan tried that tactic twice with Job in chapter 1 and 2. Jehovah and Jesus give us the strength to cope with these tests.

Fat

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 11:26:33 am »
'When undergoing trial let NO ONE say "I am being tried by God." For with evil things God cannot be tried, nor does he himself try anyone."

James 1:13 When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone;

Translations are important. Are all trials a temptation to do evil? Can God send a trial that is not a temptation to do evil? Can faith be tested without temptation? 

Think about how God sent His people into slavery and how He made them become dependent on Him for 40 years even for the manna and water they received. Testing is part of learning.

Was the passover not a test and also used to strengthen faith?

Moss

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 11:51:07 am »
Are all trials a temptation to do evil? Can God send a trial that is not a temptation to do evil? Can faith be tested without temptation? 

2 Corinthians 12 NIV
   7 To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. 8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.    

Satan is made to do God's work as the book of Job shows us. I do not see the temptation to do evil here however.

Kimberley

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 12:42:17 pm »
Hello Moss. Near the end of your reply you said "Satan is made to do God's work...". Do you mean he palmed it off on Satan or Satan had no choice? Just want to understand you correctly. Satan, like all the angelc creation or ourselves, has free will. When the Jews went into slavery in Babylon that wasn't a testing of their faith. They were warned by God for hundreds of years that if they kept turning away, turning to pagan worship, etc, he would punish them for their deliberate disobedience. At the same time, he also gave the name of King Cyrus who he used to destroy the Babylonians and free the Jews to return home. All this before they were taken captive. They weren't taken by Babylon in the midst of obedience and faithfulness. They ignored warnings for years. What is important is to remember that bad choices we make or sometimes Satan himself, puts us in bad circumstances. He is certainly behind the origin of our suffering. Not God. He gives us the tools to combat it.

Moss

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 04:53:11 pm »
Hello Moss. Near the end of your reply you said "Satan is made to do God's work...". Do you mean he palmed it off on Satan or Satan had no choice? Just want to understand you correctly. Satan, like all the angelc creation or ourselves, has free will. When the Jews went into slavery in Babylon that wasn't a testing of their faith. They were warned by God for hundreds of years that if they kept turning away, turning to pagan worship, etc, he would punish them for their deliberate disobedience. At the same time, he also gave the name of King Cyrus who he used to destroy the Babylonians and free the Jews to return home. All this before they were taken captive. They weren't taken by Babylon in the midst of obedience and faithfulness. They ignored warnings for years. What is important is to remember that bad choices we make or sometimes Satan himself, puts us in bad circumstances. He is certainly behind the origin of our suffering. Not God. He gives us the tools to combat it.

Romans 8:28 NAS
And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.

Just an added note here consider the work of Satan through Judas.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 04:58:03 pm by Moss »