Author Topic: Luke 1:80  (Read 647 times)

clark thompson

Luke 1:80
« on: August 22, 2014, 07:26:48 pm »
Luke 1:80
KJV 80 And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, and was in the deserts till the day of his shewing unto Israel.
MSTC 80 And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, and was in wilderness: till the day came, when he should show himself unto the Israelites.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

We are the same when first gain the Spirit we start off as children and grow in the Spirit and it makes us strong but keeps us depend on Him. This is why there is no story about Christ growing up, He lived in the wilderness and made no public appearances, this does not mean He did not go to the temple when it was time but went as others and acted as He was no different than others.

Better to be a servant of the King than to be a king in hell.

biblebuf

Re: Luke 1:80
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 11:14:38 pm »
John and Jesus were cousins but did not grow up together, this would have tainted John's witness.

john 1 (HCS)
29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, "Here is the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! 30 This is the One I told you about: 'After me comes a man who has surpassed me, because He existed before me.' 31 I didn't know Him, but I came baptizing with water so He might be revealed to Israel." 32 And John testified, "I watched the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and He rested on Him. 33 I didn't know Him, but He who sent me to baptize with water told me, 'The One you see the Spirit descending and resting on-He is the One who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.'

To CT's point both John and Christ were taught by the Spirit not by man. This is important to Christians.
John 6:45 "It is written in the prophets, 'AND THEY SHALL ALL BE TAUGHT OF GOD.' Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father, comes to Me
John 14:26 "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you.

BB