Author Topic: Air Force dumps ‘so help me God’ from enlistment oath  (Read 1435 times)

Hal

Air Force dumps ‘so help me God’ from enlistment oath
« on: September 18, 2014, 03:54:54 pm »
Members of the U.S. Air Force will no longer be required to say “so help me God” during their enlistment oath.

A legal review of rules that required the phrase occurred after the American Humanist Association threatened to sue on behalf of an atheist airman. The unnamed airman at Creech Air Force Base in Nevada was denied re-enlistment Aug. 25 after crossing the phrase out of the oath.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/sep/17/air-force-removes-so-help-me-god-requirement-from-/

Henry

Re: Air Force dumps ‘so help me God’ from enlistment oath
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 06:21:35 pm »
Although I think it is beneficial for troops to have a faith, if their faith is actually "No faith" then they should have a right to express a "no faith" declaration. To force God upon someone does nothing for the victim and nothing for their God... It's what Muslims do all over the world

macuser

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 06:47:30 pm »
Although I think it is beneficial for troops to have a faith, if their faith is actually "No faith" then they should have a right to express a "no faith" declaration. To force God upon someone does nothing for the victim and nothing for their God... It's what Muslims do all over the world

Why bother to take an oath that all? When you were born did you take an oath not ever break the law, yet you you are responsible to obey it.

Henry

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 06:58:59 pm »
I agree, if the oath is before God and you have no God or no fear of displeasing God then its just a ceremony with no weight to the words

Fat

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 07:16:44 pm »
I don't think I would want to fight in an army of atheist. I'm presently on my iPhone but I do believe it would not be hard to find biblical references on how to set up war camp. I do not believe that atheism would do well in God's army.

Henry

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 07:24:43 pm »
I think the initial oath was to the camp or the country so they didn't swap sides. A person without Christian based morals cold easily change camps in the world of their own rules and not Gods (make your yes mean yes and your no mean no!)

Fat

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 01:22:22 am »
I think the initial oath was to the camp or the country so they didn't swap sides. A person without Christian based morals cold easily change camps in the world of their own rules and not Gods (make your yes mean yes and your no mean no!)

It was to the "LORD of hosts" (Armies) 1 Sam 17:45, Deuteronomy 20

The KJV Old Testament Hebrew Lexicon
 Strong's Number:   06635    
Original Word   Word Origin
abc   from (06633)
Transliterated Word   TDNT Entry
Tsaba'   TWOT - 1865a,1865b
Phonetic Spelling   Parts of Speech
tsaw-baw'          Noun Masculine
 Definition
that which goes forth, army, war, warfare, host
army, host
host (of organised army)
host (of angels)
of sun, moon, and stars
of whole creation
war, warfare, service, go out to war
service

Henry

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 01:50:59 am »
great find.............. The Hebrews would never consider going to battle without a considered request to God. How someone could take such a huge step without God is beyond me 

macuser

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 10:09:38 am »
Here's a thought, if every Army had God on their side, there wouldn't be any wars.💒 🔯