Author Topic: Discipline your body and make it your slave  (Read 1021 times)

biblebuf

Discipline your body and make it your slave
« on: October 02, 2014, 06:21:55 pm »
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, (Gal. 5:22 )
Everyone who competes in the games exercises self-control in all things. They then do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. Therefore I run in such a way, as not without aim; I box in such a way, as not beating the air; but I discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified. (1 Cor. 9:25-27 )
And do not get drunk with wine, for that is dissipation, but be filled with the Spirit, (Eph. 5:18 )
Then Jesus said to His disciples, "If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me. (Matt. 16:24 )
so then let us not sleep as others do, but let us be alert and sober. For those who sleep do their sleeping at night, and those who get drunk get drunk at night. But since we are of the day, let us be sober, having put on the breastplate of faith and love, and as a helmet, the hope of salvation. (1 Thes. 5:6-8) instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus, (Titus 2:12, 13 )

clark thompson

Re: Discipline your body and make it your slave
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 04:51:19 am »
The Spirit will change as we need to be changed if we just let Him, having a change is biblical but very unpopular in todays time.

biblebuf

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 09:40:29 am »
Clark it is a blessing to be unpopular :)

Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake. (Luke‬ 6‬:22‬ KJV)

BB

Fat

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 12:16:39 am »
The title reminded me of 20 years ago when I quit smoking. Quit cold turkey, just told myself that's it and that I was in charge of my desires and cigarettes were no longer one of them.