Author Topic: How does an atheist determine what is evil and what is not evil?  (Read 8437 times)

Henry

Re: How does an atheist determine what is evil and what is not evil?
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2014, 08:27:20 am »
http://rforh.com/store/index.php/dvds/debunked-no-evidence-private.html

Fat

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2014, 08:40:19 am »
They can, theists just don't accept their reasoning.  On the bright side this discussion has led me to a book on the subject, so well done!

Before I go, it's only fair to ask: What do you think is the basis of your morality?  We know it's not the bible, which talks about genocide being an acceptable solution to...anything.  Anybody who actually based their sense of morality on the entirety of the bible would be unable to function in modern society. Should we only follow the new testament? I don't remember anywhere that Jesus says "Oh, and all that stuff that was dictated earlier? Forget that. Doesn't apply anymore."  Maybe you know of such a passage, in which case please tell me where it is.

We also know it's not god speaking directly to people, because if that were true everybody who follows god (well, your god) would think exactly the same thing on all moral questions. Unless you'd like to commit the No True Scotsman fallacy, and say that people who don't think the same as you on moral questions are not real christians? In which case, how do you tell the difference between telepathy from on high versus your own thoughts?

You must have stayed up last night watching the Red Moon, looking at the time stamp. I'll getting too old for that stuff.  8)

Glad you found a book to get your morals from.

No one that I recall in this thread ever claimed that morals were from the bible or any other printing. Are there moral topic in the scriptures yes but man was here long before the law was give to him by God and morals still existed. There are moral people in societies to day that have never heard the words in that OLD ANCIENT BOOK.

But the bible does tell us where our morals come from. The term Greek, as used here is unbeliever.

There will be tribulation and distress for every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek, but glory and honor and peace to everyone who does good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. For there is no partiality with God. For all who have sinned without the Law will also perish without the Law, and all who have sinned under the Law will be judged by the Law; for it is not the hearers of the Law who are just before God, but the doers of the Law will be justified. For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves, in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them,  on the day when, according to my gospel, God will judge the secrets of men through Christ Jesus.

Morality is about being able to know the deference between good and evil. The question or situation that was posted by jb about the boat was hard for you to answer because you know instinctively that it would be wrong to murder your friend, but you know there is only one way that at least one of you could come out of it alive. You answer was to attack God (if He exist) for creating you. You have the morals needed to tell right and wrong but in this case you would not had the ability to make that choice.

The above scripture speaks of a conscience bearing witness. The guilt you feel after you do an immoral act is testimony of the existence of God, you can't explain it away with science or man made laws. It has been in you as long as you can remember.

But hey, you're and accident or product of Luck so if your real luckily I will be wrong and that guilt you feel is just a chemical reaction of two evil atoms colliding with one good atom.

Fat

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2014, 08:47:03 am »

I watched the video short but good. Thanks  ;)

Box-o-Tribbles

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2014, 11:08:00 am »
Morality is about being able to know the deference between good and evil.

Which you think is inherent to every person. "Written in their hearts" (from a time period when people thought that the heart was the center of identity and the brain was a fancy heat sink).  Except every individual has demonstrable differences in their idea of moral behavior. Islamic jihadists think blowing themselves up in the middle of a crowd of people is morally correct, but I hope that you disagree. So your basis for morality is... whatever feels right to an individual except when it's contrary to what you think they should do?

I didn't answer the boat dilemma because the poster said they didn't want an answer. If we take the facts of the case exactly as stated, obviously the strong man must remain strong and further his chances of survival. It would be stupid to throw away both of their lives by sharing the water. It would also be selfish of the sick man, knowing his chances are slim to none, to demand that the other sacrifice himself for no gain.  It would be bad for all involved but it is the least bad option.  If I were the strong man, I would take down my friend's last words and promise to tell their family what happened. If I were the weak man, I would ask that I be thrown overboard and left behind so that my friend doesn't have to sit there feeling guilty about my lingering death by dehydration. (That and it would lighten the boat, win/win) Seems pretty clear cut. The fact that the stronger man feels bad about having to make this choice is that pesky empathy thing showing up again. If there wasn't an emotional cost to making difficult moral choices, we would not approach them with the appropriate gravity or learn as much from the outcomes.

Of course, with proper application of foresight and technology the problem would never have gotten this far. The lesson to learn here is never sail out of sight of land without GPS and a rescue beacon.  (addendum)  And a radio, for weather updates. Can't forget our friends at NOAA.

That was good for a laugh. :)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 11:29:29 am by Box-o-Tribbles »

Fat

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2014, 05:57:15 pm »
Hello BOT

(My comments in blue)

Which you think is inherent to every person. "Written in their hearts" (from a time period when people thought that the heart was the center of identity and the brain was a fancy heat sink). (tell the young high school girl that her heart is not broken) Except every individual has demonstrable differences in their idea of moral behavior.( the key word here is behavior) Islamic jihadists think blowing themselves up in the middle of a crowd of people is morally correct, but I hope that you disagree. So your basis for morality is... whatever feels right to an individual except when it's contrary to what you think they should do? ( It has been mention that the theology of Calvinism  starts with the FACT that all men are deprave. We see it in the scripture starting with Adam who after sinning try to hide from God. Other biblical men like Moses- the giver of the law was a murder, David- who found favor with God was a murder and adulterer, and Paul- who wrote most of the New Testament was also a murder. Man does not follow God’s instruction, does he.)

I didn't answer the boat dilemma because the poster said they didn't want an answer. If we take the facts of the case exactly as stated, obviously the strong man must remain strong and further his chances of survival. It would be stupid to throw away both of their lives by sharing the water. It would also be selfish of the sick man, knowing his chances are slim to none, to demand that the other sacrifice himself for no gain.  It would be bad for all involved but it is the least bad option.  If I were the strong man, I would take down my friend's last words and promise to tell their family what happened. If I were the weak man, I would ask that I be thrown overboard and left behind so that my friend doesn't have to sit there feeling guilty about my lingering death by dehydration. (That and it would lighten the boat, win/win) Seems pretty clear cut. The fact that the stronger man feels bad about having to make this choice is that pesky empathy thing showing up again. If there wasn't an emotional cost to making difficult moral choices, we would not approach them with the appropriate gravity or learn as much from the outcomes. ( I would expect nothing less from your view of right and Wrong )

Of course, with proper application of foresight and technology the problem would never have gotten this far. The lesson to learn here is never sail out of sight of land without GPS and a rescue beacon.  (addendum)  And a radio, for weather updates. Can't forget our friends at NOAA. ( Yes, if everyone was as smart as you there would never any dilemmas in the world. )

May all your rescue beacons batteries be fresh and fully charged and your GPS tell you that land is only one day away.

Fat

macuser

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2014, 06:27:58 pm »
To Phats point on mans depravity and the question of Islamic jihadists.

2 timothy 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires, 4 and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths.

Mac