Author Topic: Luke 2:21-24  (Read 690 times)

clark thompson

Luke 2:21-24
« on: October 24, 2014, 05:50:57 pm »
Luke 2:21-24
KJV 21 And when eight days were accomplished for the circumcising of the child, his name was called JESUS, which was so named of the angel before he was conceived in the womb. 22 And when the days of her purification according to the law of Moses were accomplished, they brought him to Jerusalem, to present him to the Lord; 23 (As it is written in the law of the LORD, Every male that openeth the womb shall be called holy to the Lord;) 24 And to offer a sacrifice according to that which is said in the law of the Lord, A pair of turtledoves, or two young pigeons.

MSTC 21 And when the eighth day was come that the child should be circumcised, his name was called Jesus, which was named of the angel before he was conceived in the mother's womb. 22 And when the time of their purification, after the law of Moses, was come they brought him to Jerusalem, to present him to the Lord: 23 As it is written in the law of the Lord, "Every man child that first openeth the matrix, shall be called holy to the Lord": 24 and to offer, as it is said in the law of the Lord, "A pair of turtle doves, or two young pigeons."

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

21 It was done since the time of Abraham to circumcise a boy when they were 8 days old, this may have been done to ensure they were going to live first. Isaac was the first to have this done when he became 8 days old. It was also common to give them their name at 8 days, His name was already determined by the Father.

22 This days are mentioned in the book of Leviticus, more time for having a daughter than for a son, they would be in home and not come out until these days were over, anyone who came in contact with them would become unclean, and this would have included the shepherds.

23 They followed the law even though Jesus was the Lord in flesh, they went through the traditions. God can not be dedicated to Himself because by being God He already was. Christ was to fulfill His plan even if they did not go to the temple. We also should be dedicated to God as we are His followers, baptism shows this.

24 This shows that the wise men had not come yet because with gold they could have afforded a sheep or goat instead of buying the poor man’s sacrifice.

Better to be a servant of the King than to be a king in hell.

Hal

Re: Luke 2:21-24
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 12:02:24 am »
Joseph and Mary followed the law exactly as they were required to do. Christ did the same through all His life, keeping the law.

Mat 5:17 "Don't assume that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. 18 For I assure you: Until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or one stroke of a letter will pass from the law until all things are accomplished. 19 Therefore, whoever breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches people to do so will be called least in the kingdom of heaven. But whoever practices and teaches [these commandments] will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you, unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

Kimberley

Re: Luke 2:21-24
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 02:44:25 pm »
Hi there. Just wanted to share a thought about those 'wise' men. Long before I became a Witness it had already occured to me from reading and study that these men were astrologers who looked to divination to understand matter. God quietly sent Gabriel to let Mary know of her special situation. He sent an angelic host to announce Jesus birth to simple, humble shepards. This 'star' caught the attentions of men who practiced spiritism, something God hates and is offended by. It drew them into the orbit of Herod who slew all baby boys under 2 years. Is this the way God worked? Never. Who else is powerful and could benefit by causing death and destruction? That is who sent the star. The star is a symbol of deception. It never made sense to me.