Author Topic: Quotes On Creation  (Read 1051 times)

Fat

Quotes On Creation
« on: June 29, 2015, 11:40:45 pm »
QUOTES ON CREATION

A handful of the earth to make God’s image!
Elizabeth Barrett Browning (1806–1861)

A house testifies that there was a builder, a dress that there was a weaver; a door that there was a carpenter; so our world by its existence proclaims its Creator, God.
Rabbi Akiba Ben Joseph (c. 40–135)

A human being: an ingenious assembly of portable plumbing.
Christopher Darlington Morley (1890–1957)

All created things are but the crumbs which fall from the table of God.
Saint John of the Cross (1542–1591)

All God’s great works are silent. They are not done amid rattle of drums and flare of trumpets. Light as it travels makes no noise, utters no sound to the ear. Creation is a silent process; nature rose under the Almighty hand without clang or clamor, or noises that distract and disturb.
Andrew Martin Fairbairn (1838–1912)

All the world in a grain of sand; all the universe too. If I could understand a grain of sand, I should understand everything.
Malcolm Muggeridge (1903–1990)

Could blind chance create symmetry and rhythm and light and color and melody? Or begin with the mathematics of the universe? The great mathematicians—Euclid, Newton, Einstein—did not create mathematical order; they uncovered the truth that was already there.
Harry Emerson Fosdick (1878–1969)

Everything is a thought of Infinite God. And in studying the movements of the solar system, or the composition of an ultimate cell arrested in a crystal, developed in a plant; in tracing the grains of phosphorus in the brain of man; or in the powers, and action thereof—I am studying the thought of the Infinite God.
Theodore Parker (1810–1860)

God has four ways of making a human body. He can create one without the agency of either man or woman as he did when he made Adam out of the dust of the ground. Then God can form a body through the agency of just a man as he did when he formed Eve from the rib taken from Adam’s side. A third way is through the agency of both a man and a woman. This is the common way, the way we have received our bodies. But God can also form a body through the agency of just a woman, and that is the way Our Lord received his body—born of a virgin.
R. I. Humbred

God must have made some parts of creation for sheer fun—how else would you account for the kangaroo?
G. K. Chesterton (1874–1936)

I repent me of the ignorance wherein I ever said that God made man out of nothing: there is no nothing out of which to make anything; God is all in all, and he made us out of himself. He who is parted from God has no original nothingness with which to take refuge.
George Macdonald (1824–1905)

In the vast and the minute we see
The unambiguous footsteps of the God
Who gives its luster to an insect’s wing
And wheels his throne upon the whirling worlds.
William Cowper (1731–1800)

Let us study the visible creation as we will; take the anatomy of the smallest animal; look at the smallest grain of corn that is planted in the earth, and the manner in which its germ produces and multiplies; observe attentively the rose-bud, how carefully it opens to the sun and closes at its setting; and we shall see more skill and design than in all the works of man.
François Fénelon (1651–1715)

Man is heaven’s masterpiece.
Francis Quarles (1592–1644)

My heart is awed within me when I think
Of the great miracle that still goes on,
In silence, round me—the perpetual work
Of thy creation, finished, yet renewed forever.
Written on thy works I read
The lesson of thy own eternity.
William Cullen Bryant (1794–1878)

Open, ye heavens, your living doors; let in
The great Creator from his work return’d
Magnificent, his six days’ work, a world!
John Milton (1608–1674)

The created world is but a small parenthesis in eternity.
Sir Thomas Browne (1605–1682)

The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn.
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803–1882)

The Creator of the earth is the owner of it.
John Woolman (1720–1772)

The extravagant gesture is the very stuff of creation. After the one extravagant gesture of creation in the first place, the universe has continued to deal exclusively in extravagances, flinging intricacies and colossi down aeons of emptiness, heaping profusions on profligacies with ever fresh vigor. The whole show has been on fire from the word go!
Annie Dillard (1945– )

The Genesis account of creation is brief, giving evidence of having been intended only as a prologue to the more important human drama.
Solomon Goldman (1893–1953)

The glory of creation is in its infinite diversity.
      The universe seems to have been designed by a pure mathematician.
Sir James Hopwood Jeans (1877–1946)

The world is the immeasurable totality of energies and forms, a tissue of relations extending into ever-increasing enormity and withdrawing into ever-decreasing minuteness. All this was thought, willed, and realized by God. Nothing was supplied for him, neither models nor matter. And all these forms and arrangements, so full of truth, which science strives unceasingly to penetrate, only to see again and again that they continue into the vast unknown; this profusion of value and meaning which ever and ever again impinges upon the human mind yet can never be fathomed—God has made them.
Romano Guardini (1885–1968)

The world was built in order And the atoms march in tune.
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803–1882)

The world we inhabit must have had an origin; that origin must have consisted in a cause; that cause must have been intelligent; that intelligence must have been supreme; and that supreme, which always was and is supreme, we know by the name of God.
Nikita Ivanovich Panin (1718–1783)

To say that God is Creator is another way of saying that he is Father; had he not been Father, he would not have been Creator. It was being Father that made him want to create. Because he was infinitely pleased in his Son, he wanted sons, and it was in the image of his Son that he made the world. His creation was an overflowing of love and delight.
Louis Evely (1910– )

What can be more foolish than to think that all this rare fabric of heaven and earth could come by chance, when all the skill of science is not able to make an oyster.
Jeremy Taylor (1613–1667)

What is there more natural, and yet more magnificent, what is easier to conceive and more in accord with human reason, than the Creator descending into the primordial night to make light with a word?
François René, Vicomte de Chateaubriand (1768–1848)

When God conceived the world, that was poetry. He formed it, and that was sculpture. He colored it, and that was painting. He peopled it with living beings, and that was the grand, divine, eternal drama.
David Belasco (1853–1931)

When God scooped up a handful of dust,
And spit on it, and molded the shape of man,
And blew a breath into it and told it to walk—
That was a great day.
Carl Sandburg (1878–1967)

Whoever considers the study of anatomy, I believe will never be an atheist.
Edward Herbert (1583–1648)

Wonderful and vast as is the universe, man is greater. The universe does not know that it exists; man does. The universe is not free to act; man is.
Martin J. Scott

macuser

Re: Quotes On Creation
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 08:03:26 am »
house testifies that there was a builder, a dress that there was a weaver; a door that there was a carpenter; so our world by its existence proclaims its Creator, God.
Rabbi Akiba Ben Joseph (c. 40–135)

Amen!

Hal

Re: Quotes On Creation
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 03:27:21 pm »
      Could blind chance create symmetry and rhythm and light and color and melody? Or begin with the mathematics of the universe? The great mathematicians—Euclid, Newton, Einstein—did not create mathematical order; they uncovered the truth that was already there.
Harry Emerson Fosdick (1878–1969)

You cannot separate science and God. Science is about God's work.