Author Topic: A Man Ought Not to Consider Himself Worthy of Consolation, but Chastisement  (Read 2484 times)

Fat

A Man Ought Not to Consider Himself Worthy of Consolation, but Rather Deserving of Chastisement

By Thomas ŕ Kempis

LORD, I am not worthy of Your consolation or of any spiritual visitation. Therefore, You treat me justly when You leave me poor and desolate. For though I could shed a sea of tears, yet I should not be worthy of Your consolation. Hence, I deserve only to be scourged and punished because I have offended You often and grievously, and have sinned greatly in many things. In all justice, therefore, I am not worthy of any consolation.
But You, O gracious and merciful God, Who do not will that Your works should perish, deign to console Your servant beyond all his merit and above human measure, to show the riches of Your goodness toward the vessels of mercy. For Your consolations are not like the words of men.
What have I done, Lord, that You should confer on me any heavenly comfort? I remember that I have done nothing good, but that I have always been prone to sin and slow to amend. That is true. I cannot deny it. If I said otherwise You would stand against me, and there would be no one to defend me. What have I deserved for my sins except hell and everlasting fire?
In truth, I confess that I am deserving of all scorn and contempt. Neither is it fitting that I should be remembered among Your devoted servants. And although it is hard for me to hear this, yet for truth’s sake I will allege my sins against myself, so that I may more easily deserve to beg Your mercy. What shall I say, guilty as I am and full of all confusion? My tongue can say nothing but this alone: “I have sinned, O Lord, I have sinned; have mercy on me and pardon me. Suffer me a little that I may pour out my grief, before I go to that dark land that is covered with the shadow of death.”
What do you especially demand of a guilty and wretched sinner, except that he be contrite and humble himself for his sins? In true sorrow and humility of heart hope of forgiveness is born, the troubled conscience is reconciled, grace is found, man is preserved from the wrath to come, and God and the penitent meet with a holy kiss.
To You, O Lord, humble sorrow for sins is an acceptable sacrifice, a sacrifice far sweeter than the perfume of incense. This is also the pleasing ointment which You would have poured upon Your sacred feet, for a contrite and humble heart You have never despised. Here is a place of refuge from the force of the enemy’s anger. Here is amended and washed away whatever defilement has been contracted elsewhere.

Zant Law

• ZLaw
Re: A Man Ought Not to Consider Himself Worthy of Consolation, but Chastisement
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 03:05:16 pm »
I have talked to others who seem to believe that our Lord owes them something, be it in this life or the next.

ZLaw

Fat

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 04:11:33 pm »
I have talked to others who seem to believe that our Lord owes them something, be it in this life or the next.

ZLaw

Yeah, there are people who blame every bad choice they make  on God.  I like the ones that say if God is so loving how come  there is so much violence in the world.

God gave us everything and we blew it.

macuser

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 07:00:39 am »
The snake argued that Eve was worthy to be a god, she agreed with h.

Fat

The snake argued that Eve was worthy to be a god, she agreed with h.

There are some religions that believe that they will become gods after death on earth. LDS for one.

macuser

We reading thins it reminds me of the last chapter of Job, when he was brought to reality of his relationship with his creator.

Frank T

There are some religions that believe that they will become gods after death on earth. LDS for one.

Some define a god as being some one eternal, in which case they would be correct.

Fat

Some define a god as being some one eternal, in which case they would be correct.

Hi Frank

True there is a lot in defining a word.

There is no other god besides Him.

Is 45:21
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 02:54:51 pm by Fat »