Author Topic: Basic Mechanics of Christian Giving  (Read 1176 times)

kc137

Basic Mechanics of Christian Giving
« on: September 16, 2015, 08:15:04 am »
Read and Review

Questions:
Where does this article deviate from scripture? What does it overlook? Where is it lacking?

Christian Giving

"Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to care for orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.” (James 1:27)

Giving of ourselves for the care of others is such a fundamental part of being a Christian that James considers it fully half of the definition of religion. Christ never ceased to teach about the importance of giving, and so great was His desire to give that He became a sacrifice for us, so that we would not be subject to the same fate. With such a Lord as this, we may rest assured that He will not have left us in the dark when it comes to how and when we are to give. Since there are instructions that apply to giving, our responsibility is to examine them and make certain that we are following them properly.

See attachment

This paper represents my basic understanding of the different ways in which the New Testament exemplifies giving, so I am looking for any (real and constructive) insight to other perspectives.

File: ///

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7EO2_NtUdfqdEU2VllVOUUtY2c/view?usp=sharing

« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 08:21:19 am by kc137 »

Hal

Re: Basic Mechanics of Christian Giving
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 10:35:06 am »
“The King will answer and say to them, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.'”
Matthew‬ 25:40‬ NASB‬‬

What you do for the least of them you do for Christ.

Fat

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 02:03:29 pm »
Quote from: article
1. Individual charity ​is by far the broadest and most effective form of giving in our arsenal, and
is obviously intended to be the most frequently employed. So long as the cause is good and
just—that is, not contrary to the name of Christ in any way—we are free to give however we
wish to whomever we find in need, regardless of their membership in the church and often
especially with concern for our enemies. We are free to dispose of our wealth and charitable
services as we please, in a manner worthy of Christ. Giving in this case might include the
donation of money to someone looking for a meal, but it could just as easily be an invitation to
share that meal with you. Handing out clothes to the homeless, studying the Word of God with a
coworker, or simply being a companion in a time of need are other examples of personal giving
that we can accomplish. See the following list of passages for more. What is a more powerful
weapon for Christ than the love that we show to others, or what better refreshment for a weary
Christian than to receive it from another?

The only thing I would add is that we should make obvious that the "Individual charity" is from Christ and not ourselves. That it comes from a heart that has been changed by Christ in His name.

JB Horn

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 07:49:42 am »
First rule of giving is giving yourself to God.

“And He said to him, " 'Y OU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR G OD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.'”
Matthew‬ 22:37‬ NASB