Author Topic: Do the Scriptures address the Trinity?  (Read 3260 times)

JB Horn

Do the Scriptures address the Trinity?
« on: April 17, 2011, 10:47:33 pm »
Do the Scriptures address the Trinity?
At the Pentecost there was a major change in the role of the Holy Spirit. In Romans 8:9 lets us know that the Holy Spirit is the spirit of Christ. When Christ was on this earth he told his disciples that he could not send a comforter (Holy Ghost) to them until after He had departed John 16:7.

I would normally start this discussion with John 1:1, but I have learn that there is one translation (NWT) that completely rewrites the verse however the NWT did not for the most part change the below verses.

Again take a look at Rom 8:9-10 and you will see that Spirit of Christ and the Spirit of God are the same.

Romans 8:9 However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him.10 If Christ is in you, though the body is dead because of sin, yet the spirit is alive because of righteousness.

We are told in John 6 that all Christians will be taught by the Father before we come to Christ.

John 6:45 "It is written in the prophets, 'AND THEY SHALL ALL BE TAUGHT OF GOD.' Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father, comes to Me.

But as we move on in John we see that the Holy Spirit is our teacher.

John 14:26 "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you.

We also see that the Father and the Holy Ghost seem to be one and the same, when it comes to being the Father of Christ.

Matthew 1:18 [Conception and Birth of Jesus] Now the birth of Jesus Christ was as follows : when His mother Mary had been betrothed to Joseph, before they came together she was found to be with child by the Holy Spirit.

So let's recap-

We have the Spirit of Christ also being the Spirit of God.
We have the Spirit of Christ and the Holy Spirit dwelling in us.
We have Christ telling us that to come to Him we must be taught by the Father.
We have Christ telling us that we will be taught by the Holy Ghost.
We have Father of Christ being both the Father and the Holy Ghost.

One other point, who drew you to Christ. Was it the Father or the Holy Ghost.

John 6:44 "No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day.

The only way this works out folks is if they are ONE.

Blessings
JB

Proa42

Re: Do the Scriptures address the Trinity?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 02:59:12 pm »
I have been discussing with my son, how much we miss by not having a three dimensional (TV) bible, and that, properly acted out. It would be handy in understanding the teachings of the Christ.

Picture in your minds TV:
As he walks through the temple listening to the disciples telling him of the wonders of that great temple (Herod's), He stops walking. The disciples walk a few more steps and seeing Jesus is no longer among them, they stop and turn. As they turn HE looks at them, and they at Him, and spreading His arms wide, says, "Destroy THIS temple, I will will raise it up in three days."

Of course they didn't get it.

Consider:

Scene 1: Jesus tells his disciples, "Beware the leaven of the pharisees."

And they wonder among them selves, "Is it because we have brought no bread, that he said this?"

And Jesus asks, "Why reason ye, because ye have no bread? perceive ye not yet, neither understand? have ye your heart yet hardened? Having eyes, see ye not? and having ears, hear ye not? and do ye not remember? When I brake the five loaves among five thousand, how many baskets full of fragments took ye up? They say unto him, Twelve. And when the seven among four thousand, how many baskets full of fragments took ye up? And they said, Seven. And he said unto them, How is it that ye do not understand?

Scene 2:
Christ and his disciples are sitting by a river and He gets news that his dear friend Lazarus is very ill. He waits around a while and then says, "Let's go visit Lazarus - he sleeps"

Disciples in their usual manner misunderstand and say, " Isn't it good that he sleeps?"

Jesus drops his head, sighs, takes a deep breath, looks up and says, "Lazarus is dead."

All through the Gospels you see The Christ say it His way, and then having to clarify in human speak.

And, so it is with His promise.

Scene 3:

Jesus is sitting with his disciples and He says, "If ye love me, keep my commandments. And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you." (Ask yourself, "who is the "He" that Jesus said dwelled with them?)

Now the disciples, Looking at one another , puzzled,  begin reasoning among them selves (as usual) about what Jesus has just said.

Then Jesus, as in the past, looking on his sheep, sighs a deep sigh and says, "I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you."

(Now you also know who it is who the "he" they know, and "he"who dwells with them)

Fat

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 10:43:51 pm »
Hello Proa42

Very good, I thank I'll plagiarize you on this next time I get into a Trinity discussion.  :)

Blessings
Fat

Proa42

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 02:37:59 pm »
What does a man have that he did not receive?

Fat

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 05:13:25 pm »
What does a man have that he did not receive?
Hunger  ;D

philer

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 06:56:02 am »
there are a few views on what the TRINITY is. it is difficult when someone uses this word to be certain of which they speak. It is my understanding that GOD,the WORD AKA CHRIST,HOLY SPIRIT ,are the same being in 3 forms ,not 3 individual personalities . so when someone asks the question of does the bible address the trinity or mention it, you would have to define it before i could be clearly answered.,if that makes sense.

Fat

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 03:03:00 pm »
there are a few views on what the TRINITY is. it is difficult when someone uses this word to be certain of which they speak. It is my understanding that GOD,the WORD AKA CHRIST,HOLY SPIRIT ,are the same being in 3 forms ,not 3 individual personalities . so when someone asks the question of does the bible address the trinity or mention it, you would have to define it before i could be clearly answered.,if that makes sense.

Excellent point both Jehovah's Witnesses and the Mormons use the word trinity but in a totally different meaning then that most of us here on this forum. It might be better if we just stuck with the word Godhead.