Bible Talk > Bible Study

Matthew 16:28- Son of Man coming in His kingdom

(1/3) > >>

Frank T:
Matthew 16:28 I assure you: There are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom.”

It seems that every commentator has a different view of what this verse says.
 Jesus stated this just six days prior to the transfiguration, but many believe he was speaking of the day of Pentecost or His resurrection from the dead, and His ascension to heaven. It is also been suggested that he was speaking of the destruction of Jerusalem or the second coming in judgment, I find these two unlikely even impossible to the length of time that is passed since he made the statement.

Does Jesus refer to the Transfiguration, the Resurrection of Jesus, the great Day of Pentecost, the Destruction of Jerusalem, the Second Coming and Judgment?

FT

Fat:
 I understand that the Transfiguration only came a few days after the statement, but I don't think that's what He was referring to.  Reviewing all the possibilities that are on your list there is only one that stands out to be extraordinary and above the rest, and that was the resurrection.

Moss:
Just a way Matthews wrote this Christ could not have been pointing to an event that was going to happen in only six days. I would eliminate the transfiguration from the possibilities and would leave only the day of Pentecost or the day of Resurrection. I have to agree with Fat that Christ was speaking something He considered to be most important and that would be the Resurrection.

cwinn:
Jesus in Matthew 16:28 has in mind giving three of his intimate disciples a spectacular foregleam of his glory in Kingdom power. This visionary preview is called the transfiguration.(Jesus is not saying that certain ones of his disciples will live until the establishment of the kingdom in 1914.)

Six days later, Jesus tales Peter, James, and John up into a lofty mountain-likely a ridge of Mt. Hermon. There, Jesus is "transfigured before them, and his face shone as the sun, and his outer garments became brilliant as the light." (Matthew 17:1-6)

macuser:
The strong number for Kingdom used here is G935

G935
βασιλεύς
basileus
bas-il-yooce'
Probably from G939 (through the notion of a foundation of power); a sovereign (abstractly, relatively or figuratively):—king.

properly royalty, that is, (abstractly) rule, or (concretely) a realm (literally or figuratively): - kingdom, + reign.

MaCarthur using Royal Splendor it fits for the Transfiguration theory.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version