Author Topic: Matthew 16:28- Son of Man coming in His kingdom  (Read 2467 times)

Frank T

Matthew 16:28- Son of Man coming in His kingdom
« on: September 02, 2016, 12:13:56 am »
Matthew 16:28 I assure you: There are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom.”

It seems that every commentator has a different view of what this verse says.
 Jesus stated this just six days prior to the transfiguration, but many believe he was speaking of the day of Pentecost or His resurrection from the dead, and His ascension to heaven. It is also been suggested that he was speaking of the destruction of Jerusalem or the second coming in judgment, I find these two unlikely even impossible to the length of time that is passed since he made the statement.

Does Jesus refer to the Transfiguration, the Resurrection of Jesus, the great Day of Pentecost, the Destruction of Jerusalem, the Second Coming and Judgment?

FT

Fat

Re: Matthew 16:28- Son of Man coming in His kingdom
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 09:49:05 am »
 I understand that the Transfiguration only came a few days after the statement, but I don't think that's what He was referring to.  Reviewing all the possibilities that are on your list there is only one that stands out to be extraordinary and above the rest, and that was the resurrection.

Moss

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 04:39:02 pm »
Just a way Matthews wrote this Christ could not have been pointing to an event that was going to happen in only six days. I would eliminate the transfiguration from the possibilities and would leave only the day of Pentecost or the day of Resurrection. I have to agree with Fat that Christ was speaking something He considered to be most important and that would be the Resurrection.

cwinn

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 04:43:15 pm »
Jesus in Matthew 16:28 has in mind giving three of his intimate disciples a spectacular foregleam of his glory in Kingdom power. This visionary preview is called the transfiguration.(Jesus is not saying that certain ones of his disciples will live until the establishment of the kingdom in 1914.)

Six days later, Jesus tales Peter, James, and John up into a lofty mountain-likely a ridge of Mt. Hermon. There, Jesus is "transfigured before them, and his face shone as the sun, and his outer garments became brilliant as the light." (Matthew 17:1-6)

macuser

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 12:39:54 am »
The strong number for Kingdom used here is G935

G935
βασιλεύς
basileus
bas-il-yooce'
Probably from G939 (through the notion of a foundation of power); a sovereign (abstractly, relatively or figuratively):—king.

properly royalty, that is, (abstractly) rule, or (concretely) a realm (literally or figuratively): - kingdom, + reign.

MaCarthur using Royal Splendor it fits for the Transfiguration theory.

Isaiah9Six

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 04:25:50 pm »
Another way to pose this thread and one that covers the same idea is "when did the kingdom of God begin?" I am not trying to change the thread by asking this question, I am merely answering it by using a different approach.

John the baptist, Jesus, and his apostles went all over preaching that the kingdom of God was at hand. We can assume that it was not something that was going to take hundreds of years to fulfill. Jesus says there are some that would not die until they see the kingdom come. Either there are men who lived a very long time or the kingdom came in their lifetime.

There is a passage of scripture in 2 Sam. 7 that an inspired apostle uses to confirm the establishment of the kingdom at Pentecost, let me share it with you.

2 Sam. 7:12-13  And when thy days be fulfilled, and thou shalt sleep with thy fathers, I will set up thy seed after thee, which shall proceed out of thy bowels, and I will establish his kingdom.   He shall build an house for my name, and I will stablish the throne of his kingdom for ever.

Nathan is speaking to David of whom Jesus is in direct lineage with. He tells David that one of his descendants would establish the kingdom. This was literally fulfilled by Solomon, we can read about that in the Old Testament. The New Testament reveals that it was spiritually fulfilled by Jesus according to Peter in Acts 2:29-31 Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.   Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;   He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

Either Jesus is sitting at the right hand of God in his kingdom now or Peter told an untruth.

Please consider these thoughts

theQuestion

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 09:03:47 am »
Matt 26:64- Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Henceforth [from now ON] ye shall see the Son of man sitting at the right hand of Power, and coming on the clouds of heaven.

They DID.
Anyone here know HOW?

Fat

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 11:20:34 am »
Matt 26:64- Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Henceforth [from now ON] ye shall see the Son of man sitting at the right hand of Power, and coming on the clouds of heaven.

They DID.
Anyone here know HOW?

End time Prophecy, Have you (did they) seen the Father?

"I kept looking in the night visions, And behold, with the clouds of heaven One like a Son of Man was coming, And He came up to the Ancient of Days And was presented before Him.  (Daniel 7:13, NASB)

The LORD says to my Lord: "Sit at My right hand Until I make Your enemies a footstool for Your feet."  (Psalms 110:1, NASB)

And Jesus said, "I am; and you shall see THE SON OF MAN SITTING AT THE RIGHT HAND OF POWER, and COMING WITH THE CLOUDS OF HEAVEN."  (Mark 14:62, NASB)

For the Son of Man is going to come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and WILL THEN REPAY EVERY MAN ACCORDING TO HIS DEEDS.  (Matthew 16:27, NASB)
Pl

theQuestion

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2019, 11:30:25 am »
You have the KEY- but don't appear to understand!

Fat

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2019, 12:12:04 pm »
You have the KEY- but don't appear to understand!

The key is understanding.

theQuestion

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2019, 01:00:54 pm »
Then I was wrong; you DON'T have the key!

Fat

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2019, 03:51:53 pm »
Then I was wrong; you DON'T have the key!

And this is coming from a guy/gal who believes that he was made by an angel. In fact your angel was not even a good angel was he? mark 10:18

Mark 10:18 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.

theQuestion

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2019, 04:28:01 pm »
Keep slandering me 'Fat'; you will have to answer for it.

theQuestion

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2019, 04:31:38 pm »
For Thinkers here- he DID have the key: Dan 7.

It was the perfect example of how clouds were used to illustrate unseen activity in Heaven.
Such activity was seen when Jesus was resurrected and when his follower grew- instead of dispersing.
Finally, it was seen when Rome surrounded Jerusalem- EXACTLY as Jesus SAID would happen!

Isa 19:1- The burden of Egypt. Behold, Jehovah rideth upon a swift cloud, and cometh to Egypt; and the idols of Egypt are moved at his presence, and the heart of Egypt melteth in the midst of it.

admin

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2019, 04:55:56 pm »
theQuestion Band for denying the deity of Christ.