Author Topic: Sacrifice  (Read 639 times)

Hal

Sacrifice
« on: September 08, 2016, 11:44:18 pm »
Sacrifice

Christians are often accused of being morbid when they talk of the joy of sacrificing. I think it is one of the deepest truths of the Christian religion. Far from being a source of sadness, sacrifice is a great joy and source of illumination—perhaps the greatest of all. I also think that to live modestly is always a richer experience because you are living like the majority of people.
Malcolm Muggeridge (1903–1990)

Howbeit what things were gain to me, these have I counted loss for Christ. Yea verily, and I count all things to be loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but refuse, that I may gain Christ, (  Phil 3:7-8 NAS)

For anything worth having one must pay the price; and the price is always work, patience, love, self-sacrifice—no paper currency, no promises to pay, but the gold of real service.
John Burroughs (1837–1921)

But King David replied to Araunah, “No, I insist on paying the full price. I will not take for the Lord what is yours, or sacrifice a burnt offering that costs me nothing.” (1 Chronicles 21:24 , niv)

I never made a sacrifice. We ought not to talk of sacrifice when we remember the great sacrifice that he made who left his Father’s throne on high to give himself for us.
David Livingstone (1813–1873)

And so, dear brothers, I plead with you to give your bodies to God. Let them be a living sacrifice, holy—the kind he can accept. When you think of what he has done for you, is this too much to ask? (Romans 12:1 , tlb)

If Jesus Christ is God and died for me, then no sacrifice can be too great for me to make for him.
Charles Thomas Studd (1862–1931)

Jesus told him, “If you want to be perfect, go and sell everything you have and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” (Matthew 19:21 , tlb)

Our notion of sacrifice is the wringing out of us something we don’t want to give up, full of pain and agony and distress. The Bible idea of sacrifice is that I give as a love-gift the very best thing I have.
Oswald Chambers (1874–1917)

With Jesus’ help we will continually offer our sacrifice of praise to God by telling others of the glory of his name. Don’t forget to do good and to share what you have with those in need, for such sacrifices are very pleasing to him. (Hebrews 13:15-16 , tlb)

Self-sacrifice is never entirely unselfish, for the giver never fails to receive.
Dolores E. McGuire

No, I don’t need your sacrifices of flesh and blood. What I want from you is your true thanks; I want your promises fulfilled. I want you to trust me in your times of trouble, so I can rescue you, and you can give me glory. (Psalm 50:13-15 , tlb)

That which one sacrifices is never lost.
German Proverb

Fat

Re: Sacrifice
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 12:02:14 am »
Self-sacrifice, well that leaves this generation out of the discussion.