Author Topic: As taught by an exegetical analyses of Scripture.  (Read 2104 times)

Isaiah9Six

As taught by an exegetical analyses of Scripture.
« on: December 22, 2018, 02:57:21 pm »
The heading in the home section under Eschatology says that this section discusses things pertaining to the end times as taught by an exegetical analyses of Scripture. I wanted to know for sure what Eschatology meant......this is what I found.

Exegesis [ < Greek exègeisthai (to interpret) < ex- (out) + hègeisthai (to lead). Related to English 'seek'.] Definition: To interpret a text by way of a thorough analysis of its content. When you do exegesis, you are an exegete who is exegeting the text. What you are doing is described as being exegetical. In its most basic Bible-relevant meaning, exegesis means finding out what the Spirit originally was saying through its author in that Bible passage.

Exegesis is what comes out of the Bible, as against what gets read into it. (Of course, the ways we use to find out from the Bible are often merely ways to put something into it 'between the lines'. That's really eisegesis in a Halloween costume.) In a more theological setting, exegesis means what comes from the use of certain methods of studying the Bible.

This way of interpreting scripture is not just for things pertaining to the end times but for all matters concerning God's word. I particularly like this statement: "Exegesis is what comes out of the Bible, as against what gets read into it."

That being said how should I read the words that John wrote in Rev. 1:1 and 1:3 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:

Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.

And also in chapter 22:7 and 22:12 Behold, I come quickly: blessed is he that keepeth the sayings of the prophecy of this book.

And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

Should these verses be read with an expectation of fulfillment to happen shortly, at hand, quickly or should we expect fulfillment thousands of years into the future?

The other thing to keep in mind is the comfort that John is giving his readers through these words. If the events described were thousands of years into the future how would that give comfort to his readers?

Consider what I say.....

Moss

Re: As taught by an exegetical analyses of Scripture.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 07:06:23 pm »
The other thing to keep in mind is the comfort that John is giving his readers through these words. If the events described were thousands of years into the future how would that give comfort to his readers?

Was comfort the purpose of God's revelation to John?

Isaiah9Six

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 02:46:58 pm »
When I first read your reply Moss I thought to respond with an abrupt YES! I thought to do that because I was reading your question as if you were asking with contempt. And then I thought about and said to myself that it's possible Moss doesn't know what's going on in the background of this wonderful book. SO let me come down off of my high chair and humbly respond to your question.

The time that John wrote this book was at the end of the 1st century. Emperor worship was being forced on citizens of the country by Rome with severe persecution being acted upon those that refused to comply to the wishes of Rome.
Christians were not exempt and many were treated poorly. The message from Jesus was that even though you're going through a rough time physically, your soul is safe if you remain faithful. To him that overcometh is repeated numerous times in the first three chapters. The overall theme of the message is WE WIN!!

Comfort....yes!!!  knowing that I must go through persecution but when it's all over I'm better off than I ever was in this world is a message I would gladly welcome. Jesus puts it this way... Rev. 2:10-11 
Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.

Moss

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 06:26:51 pm »
You say that the purpose of Revelation was to give comfort, I say it was a warning. Also contained in this message to the churches is a statement of Christ's deity. There are some that are ignorant and do not consider this important, but if they would take the time to study and understand it they would be able to identify many false teachings.

Warnings

Of course I am sure that you will acknowledge the warnings of chapters 2-4.

Other warnings concerning time.

Revelation 22:10
10. And he said to me, "Do not seal up the words of the prophecy of this book, for the time is near.

Revelation 22:12
12. "Behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward [is] with Me, to render to every man according to what he has done.

Revelation 22:20
20. He who testifies to these things says, "Yes, I am coming quickly." Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.

Deity

Revelation 22:16
16. "I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things for the churches. I am the root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star."

Revelation 1:8
8. "I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty."

To your question:
“Should these verses be read with an expectation of fulfillment to happen shortly, at hand, quickly or should we expect fulfillment thousands of years into the future?”

God's promises and warnings in Revelation were not just to the seven churches, they were to all mankind, listen to what Peter has to say.

2 Peter 3:5-11
5. For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water:
6. Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished:
7. But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.
8. But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
9. The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

10. But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
11. Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,

A lot what is described in Revelation will occur after the rapture, after the church is been removed, and is not meant to comfort but to warn those who are not right with God.

For instance:

Revelation 9:3-6
3. And there came out of the smoke locusts upon the earth: and unto them was given power, as the scorpions of the earth have power.
4. And it was commanded them that they should not hurt the grass of the earth, neither any green thing, neither any tree; but only those men which have not the seal of God in their foreheads.
5. And to them it was given that they should not kill them, but that they should be tormented five months: and their torment was as the torment of a scorpion, when he striketh a man.
6. And in those days shall men seek death, and shall not find it; and shall desire to die, and death shall flee from them.

It is impossible to study the Bible a verse at a time without considering the whole context.

So I say to you that the purpose of Revelation was not to comfort the reader, even though I do agree that many of us do take comfort in understanding the future given to us by the Lord Jesus Christ through John.

Study Scripture not me.

Bob

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 07:27:36 pm »
Was comfort the purpose of God's revelation to John?

Same could be said about the whole New Testament. THE GOOD NEWS!

Isaiah9Six

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 10:42:20 am »
My apology Moss. I will focus on scripture and leave my analyzing to what does the bible say.

Forgive me in Jesus name......amen