Author Topic: Developing a Passion for God -Dr. R.C. Sproul  (Read 976 times)

Moss

Developing a Passion for God -Dr. R.C. Sproul
« on: November 07, 2016, 11:47:57 pm »
Developing a Passion for God

Dr. R.C. Sproul

I remember a stained-glass window that adorned the library of my alma mater. It was situated above the stairwell at the second-floor landing. In leaded letters, the words in the window declared, “Knowledge is power.”
Every time I ascended or descended that staircase I cringed at those words. I did not like them. There was something arrogant about them. I could not deny that the words were true. Knowledge is power. But the lust for power is not a sound motivation to gain knowledge. The Bible is right: Knowledge puffs up; love builds up (1 Cor. 8:1).
Even the pursuit of the knowledge of God can become a snare of arrogance. Theology can become a game, a power game to see who can display the most erudition. When it is such a game it proceeds from an unholy passion.
A holy passion is a passion inflamed by a godly motive. To pursue the knowledge of God to further our understanding of Him and deepen our love for Him is to embark on a quest that delights Him. Jesus encouraged such a pursuit (John 8:31–32). Jesus linked knowledge not with power but with freedom. Knowing the truth is the most liberating power in the world. Not the power to dominate; not the power to impress: These are not the powers we seek. But the power to set free—to give true liberty—is tied to a knowledge of the truth.
We all want liberty. We want to be free of the chains that bind us. That liberty comes from knowing God. But the pursuit of that knowledge may not be casual. Jesus spoke of “abiding” in His Word. The pursuit of God is not a part-time, weekend exercise. If it is, chances are you will experience a part-time, weekend freedom. Abiding requires a kind of staying power. The pursuit is relentless. It hungers and thirsts. It pants as the deer after the mountain brook. It takes the kingdom by storm, pressing with violence to get in.
It is a pursuit of passion. Indifference will not do. To abide in the Word is to hang on tenaciously. A weak grip will soon slip away. Discipleship requires staying power. We sign up for the duration. We do not graduate until heaven.

http://www.ligonier.org/learn/devotionals/developing-passion-god/

macuser

Re: Developing a Passion for God -Dr. R.C. Sproul
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 05:18:07 pm »
There are two ways that we can acquire this knowledge that the author speaks of. The first is by immersing ourselves in God's written Word, and the second is by immersing ourselves in prayer.

I probably have the sequence backwards there, I find it more appropriate to pray before studying the Scriptures, it seems that my understanding becomes much more enlightened after prayer.

In his service,
Mac

Fat

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 03:57:43 pm »
There are two ways that we can acquire this knowledge that the author speaks of. The first is by immersing ourselves in God's written Word, and the second is by immersing ourselves in prayer.

I probably have the sequence backwards there, I find it more appropriate to pray before studying the Scriptures, it seems that my understanding becomes much more enlightened after prayer.

In his service,
Mac

Mac

I agree with you totally, the Bible tells us that wisdom comes from our request in  prayer, King Solomon.Isn't it better to have God's wisdom for you read the Scriptures and to have it after?

I also agree with Dr. Sproul that this is a fight that we cannot stop until her final breath. This battle will be never ending as long as the evil one is unchained. Paul used to allude to running a good race to the end, no prize is given to one who quits halfway through the race

Moss

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 12:54:07 pm »
 When you have passion for something you enjoy it, like having passion for your work or sports. I believe the passion we are talking about here is given to us by the Holy Ghost, and I believe you're both correct it is acquired by asking through prayer and studying scripture.