Author Topic: I have come into this world to judge-I have not come into this world to judge  (Read 2098 times)

Zant Law

• ZLaw
“I have come into this world to judge: Blind people will be given sight, and those who can see will become blind." John 9:39

I was going to do a post and call it the purpose statement of his incarnation. And I was looking at the different verses where Christ declares  a reason for why He came for instance He claims he did not come to destroy the law or the prophets but to fulfill the law and claimed He did not come to bring peace but conflict and other various verses like, but what intrigued me were four conflicting verse and that was John 9:39. That verse reads, “I have come into this world to judge: Blind people will be given sight, and those who can see will become blind." and John 5:22 "For not even the Father judges anyone, but He has given all judgment to the Son.

Now the conflict I saw was in two other verses from John,  John 3:17 and John 12; 47. Verse 17 reads "For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him. And Verse 47 reads, If anyone hears My words and doesn't keep them, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world but to save the world.

I think you can see the conflict in these two verses of John with John 9:39 and 5:22. Now I know there is no conflict in the Bible and I've never found one myself but I thought this was worth pointing out because we have a lot of people that like to cherry pick verses and try and make the Bible seem like that contradicts itself.

Lets take a closer look.

John 9:39  “I have come into this world to judge: Blind people will be given sight, and those who can see will become blind.”.40 And some of the Pharisees which were with him heard these words, and said unto him, Are we blind also? 41 Jesus said unto them, If ye were blind, ye should have no sin: but now ye say , We see ; therefore your sin remaineth .

You must read the whole 9th chapter. The Pharisees had declared themselves righteous but Christ came to declare them blind (therefore your sin remaineth) Christ came to set things straight , the Pharisees were serving themselves, calling themselves righteous. The blind man was accused of being blind because of being born in sin. John in chapter 9 points out that the neither the blind man nor his parents sin was responsible for the man being born blind.

In short it was the Pharisees that were making a judgment not Christ.

In  John 5:22 ( "For not even the Father judges anyone, but He has given all judgment to the Son.)

If you move down the chapter you will read, 27 And he has given him authority to judge because he is the Son of Man. 28 "Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice 29 and come out--those who have done good will rise to live, and those who have done evil will rise to be condemned.

The judgement here is at end times and not on this earth.

JB Horn

There's another way to look at it. For instance when the police officer is sent to a disturbance he is there for the purpose of keeping the peace. However keeping the peace may involve him and getting into a fight himself.

He was not sent to judge but some of will not accept that gift and require Him to judge them.

macuser

John 9 has a message of hypocrisy of those who call themselves righteous, not judgement. He is calling them to admit who they are and receive sight.

Zant Law

• ZLaw
Hi Mac, JB

I just think it is clear, to me any way, that any judgement Christ makes will be after the rapture. A judgement was made with the flood and next will be with fire.

Unbelief has already been judged.

John 3:18 "He who believes in Him is not judged ; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. (NAS)