Author Topic: Belief a CHOICE?  (Read 2301 times)

rstrats

Belief a CHOICE?
« on: April 18, 2012, 02:42:57 pm »
A number of folks on these boards are saying or at least implying that they can consciously CHOOSE to believe things. If you are one of them perhaps you can help me.  I have never been able to consciously CHOOSE any of the beliefs that I have and I would like to be able to do that. If you think that you can consciously CHOOSE to believe things, I wonder if you might explain how you do it. What do you do at the last moment to instantly change your one state of belief to another?  What is it that you do that would allow you to say, “OK, at this moment I have a lack of belief that ‘x’ exists or is true, but I CHOOSE to believe that ‘x’ exists or is true and now instantly at this new moment I do believe that ‘x’ exists or is true? 

Maybe you could use something like leprechauns to demonstrate your technique. According to the Encyclopedia Britannica, a leprechaun is “a fairy peculiar to Ireland, who appeared in the form of an old man of minute stature, wearing a cocked hat and a leather apron.”   So, assuming that you don’t already have a belief in them, how about right now, while you are reading this, CHOOSE to believe - be convinced without a doubt - that they exist.  Now that you believe in leprechauns, my question is, how did you do it? How did you make the instantaneous  transition from lack of belief to belief?

JB Horn

Re: Belief a CHOICE?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 04:41:09 pm »
Beliefs can change but not when accompanied by faith. Beliefs can change as we gather proof that our belief is incorect, the world is not flat. How did Paul define faith, "faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. For by it the men of old gained approval. By faith we understand that the worlds were prepared by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things which are visible."

JB

Fat

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 11:46:58 pm »
To consciously choose to believe, no way. Sometimes believing defies all logic.

rstrats

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 03:14:01 am »
JB Horn,

I’m not sure if you’re saying that you can consciously CHOOSE to believe things or not. But since you passed on my request in the OP, I’d say, not.  I’m hoping to hear from someone who can.

Hal

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 10:54:39 am »
Quote from: rstrats
If you think that you can consciously CHOOSE to believe things, I wonder if you might explain how you do it. What do you do at the last moment to instantly change your one state of belief to another?  What is it that you do that would allow you to say, “OK, at this moment I have a lack of belief that ‘x’ exists or is true, but I CHOOSE to believe that ‘x’ exists or is true and now instantly at this new moment I do believe that ‘x’ exists or is true?

That's nuts! If anyone believes that then I would ask them to CHOOSE to unbelieve it NOW and then tell me if they really do believe their unbelief  ::)