Author Topic: Quotes concerning Sacrifice  (Read 972 times)

Fat

Quotes concerning Sacrifice
« on: March 14, 2017, 06:22:47 pm »
Sacrifice

Christians are often accused of being morbid when they talk of the joy of sacrificing. I think it is one of the deepest truths of the Christian religion. Far from being a source of sadness, sacrifice is a great joy and source of illumination—perhaps the greatest of all. I also think that to live modestly is always a richer experience because you are living like the majority of people.
Malcolm Muggeridge (1903–1990)

For anything worth having one must pay the price; and the price is always work, patience, love, self-sacrifice—no paper currency, no promises to pay, but the gold of real service.
John Burroughs (1837–1921)

I never made a sacrifice. We ought not to talk of sacrifice when we remember the great sacrifice that he made who left his Father’s throne on high to give himself for us.
David Livingstone (1813–1873)

If Jesus Christ is God and died for me, then no sacrifice can be too great for me to make for him.
Charles Thomas Studd (1862–1931)

Our notion of sacrifice is the wringing out of us something we don’t want to give up, full of pain and agony and distress. The Bible idea of sacrifice is that I give as a love-gift the very best thing I have.
Oswald Chambers (1874–1917)

Self-sacrifice is never entirely unselfish, for the giver never fails to receive.
Dolores E. McGuire

That which one sacrifices is never lost.
German Proverb

Moss

Re: Quotes concerning Sacrifice
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 12:19:35 am »
Sacrifice Defined

The offering up of sacrifices is to be regarded as a divine institution. It did not originate with man. God himself appointed it as the mode in which acceptable worship was to be offered to him by guilty man. The language and the idea of sacrifice pervade the whole Bible.
Sacrifices were offered in the ante-diluvian age. The Lord clothed Adam and Eve with the skins of animals, which in all probability had been offered in sacrifice (Gen. 3:21 ). Abel offered a sacrifice “of the firstlings of his flock” (Gen. 4:4 ; Heb. 11:4 ). A distinction also was made between clean and unclean animals, which there is every reason to believe had reference to the offering up of sacrifices (Gen. 7:2, 8 ), because animals were not given to man as food till after the Flood.
The same practice is continued down through the patriarchal age (Gen. 8:20; 12:7; 13:4, 18; 15:9-11; 22:1-18 , etc.).
In the Mosaic period of Old Testament history definite laws were prescribed by God regarding the different kinds of sacrifices that were to be offered and the manner in which the offering was to be made. The offering of stated sacrifices became indeed a prominent and distinctive feature of the whole period (Ex. 12:3-27 ; Lev. 23:5-8 ; Num. 9:2-14 ).
We learn from the Epistle to the Hebrews that sacrifices had in themselves no value or efficacy. They were only the “shadow of good things to come,” and pointed the worshippers forward to the coming of the great High Priest, who, in the fullness of the time, “was offered once for all to bear the sin of many.” Sacrifices belonged to a temporary economy, to a system of types and emblems which served their purposes and have now passed away. The “one sacrifice for sins” hath “perfected for ever them that are sanctified.”
Sacrifices were of two kinds:,
(1.) Unbloody, such as
(a.) first-fruits and tithes;
(b.) meat and drink-offerings; and
(c.)       incense.
(2.) Bloody, such as
(a.) burnt offerings;
(b.) peace-offerings; and
(c.) sin and trespass offerings.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 12:31:14 am by Moss »

JB Horn

Re: Quotes concerning Sacrifice
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 11:05:44 am »
Self sacrifice for another is the true expression of love. (JB now)