Author Topic: Luke 7:4-5  (Read 1021 times)

clark thompson

Luke 7:4-5
« on: July 03, 2017, 08:58:43 am »
Luke 7:4-5 King James Version (KJV)
4 And when they came to Jesus, they besought him instantly, saying, That he was worthy for whom he should do this:
5 For he loveth our nation, and he hath built us a synagogue.

Luke 7:4-5 Complete Jewish Bible (CJB)

4 They came to Yeshua and pleaded earnestly with him, “He really deserves to have you do this, 5 for he loves our people — in fact, he built the synagogue for us!”

Complete Jewish Bible (CJB) Copyright © 1998 by David H. Stern. All rights reserved.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

4 They found Jesus knowing that He could heal, that He was worthy enough to have such a connection with God that He was worthy, they may have not accepted that Jesus was God but with what He did that could have changed, they may have seen Him just as more then a another miracle maker after the healing and seen Him as Lord as the centurion did.

5 This is the reference to the centurion. They are trying to use this to convince Jesus to heal him but Jesus heals him simply because of his faith. We can do this and do that but without faith we are still under the sickness of sin it is only by faith in Jesus that the sickness of sin can be cured.

biblebuf

Re: Luke 7:4-5
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 02:43:12 pm »

5 For he loveth our nation, and he hath built us a synagogue.

Gen 12:2  And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing:3  And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.

Galatians 5:6  For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.

Colossians 3:11  Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all.

Fat

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 01:03:23 pm »
Interesting combination of the old covenant and the new covenant coming together here. God will bless those who bless Israel, that's a promise in something this nation (ALL NATIONS) should consider in its politics.

Bob

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 04:33:53 pm »
Spurgeon's sermon on the verse. #600

http://inhisword.net/spur/?p=1158

Frank T

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 05:22:18 pm »
The Jewish elders considered the centurion worthy of Jesus’ attention - verse 4; he considered himself unworthy - verses 6. Interceding for good citizens is a prayer task of believers. When such people are not believers, their salvation becomes the subject of intercession.