Author Topic: He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood  (Read 843 times)

Frank T

He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood
« on: August 06, 2017, 04:22:55 pm »
In John 6 Christ gives the sermon about Him being the bread of life. He says also that for eternal life a man must drink his blood and eat his flesh.

John 6:53. So Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in yourselves.
54. "He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.
55. "For My flesh is true food, and My blood is true drink.
56. "He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him.

Some people have connected this with Luke 21 where Christ asked us to remember him and His covenant by the symbolism of wine being his blood, and bread being his flesh. The tragedy of the way these two verses were put together by some churches, is that they made a determination that the last supper sacrament is the path to salvation. This is a total misconception of the message Christ was trying to give us.

Luke 21:19 And He took bread, gave thanks, broke it, gave it to them, and said, “This is My body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of Me.”
In the same way He also took the cup after supper and said, “This cup is the new covenant established by My blood; it is shed for you.

Both the Old Testament and the New Testament explained to us that the bread that he speaks of is the word of God. Two examples one from the Old Testament Deuteronomy 8:3  and from the New Testament Matthew 4:4

Due 8:3 He humbled you by letting you go hungry; then He gave you manna to eat, which you and your fathers had not known, so that you might learn that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord.

Matt 4:4 But He answered, “It is written:
Man must not live on bread alone
but on every word that comes
from the mouth of God.”

The point I'm trying to make is that attending holy communion, something that we should all do, does not secure your salvation. Taking the wafer as I call it, is not what Christ was trying to explain in John 6.

Fat

Re: He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 04:23:55 pm »
In John 6 Christ gives the sermon about Him being the bread of life. He says also that for eternal life a man must drink his blood and eat his flesh.

John 6:53. So Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in yourselves.
54. "He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.
55. "For My flesh is true food, and My blood is true drink.
56. "He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him.

Some people have connected this with Luke 21 where Christ asked us to remember him and His covenant by the symbolism of wine being his blood, and bread being his flesh. The tragedy of the way these two verses were put together by some churches, is that they made a determination that the last supper sacrament is the path to salvation. This is a total misconception of the message Christ was trying to give us.

Luke 21:19 And He took bread, gave thanks, broke it, gave it to them, and said, “This is My body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of Me.”
In the same way He also took the cup after supper and said, “This cup is the new covenant established by My blood; it is shed for you.

Both the Old Testament and the New Testament explained to us that the bread that he speaks of is the word of God. Two examples one from the Old Testament Deuteronomy 8:3  and from the New Testament Matthew 4:4

Due 8:3 He humbled you by letting you go hungry; then He gave you manna to eat, which you and your fathers had not known, so that you might learn that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord.

Matt 4:4 But He answered, “It is written:
Man must not live on bread alone
but on every word that comes
from the mouth of God.”

The point I'm trying to make is that attending holy communion, something that we should all do, does not secure your salvation. Taking the wafer as I call it, is not what Christ was trying to explain in John 6.

Are these the same people that believe that only the Pope has the keys to heaven? Don't they understand that the bread, the wine, and the living water are all the gospel. Nobody comes to the father except through Him.

Frank T

Re: He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 05:34:52 pm »
Are these the same people that believe that only the Pope has the keys to heaven? Don't they understand that the bread, the wine, and the living water are all the gospel. Nobody comes to the father except through Him.

that's them :'(