Author Topic: Ask, and Ye Shall Receive Ye Have Not, Because Ye Ask Not  (Read 4365 times)

JB Horn

Ask, and Ye Shall Receive Ye Have Not, Because Ye Ask Not
« on: May 27, 2012, 05:37:52 pm »
Ask, and Ye Shall Receive
Ye Have Not, Because Ye Ask Not

Matthew 7:7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
9 Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone?
10 Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent?
11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?
Matthew 18:19 Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.
Matthew 21:22 And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.
Luke 11:9 And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.
10 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
11 If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent?
12 Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion?
13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?
John 14:13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.
John 15:7 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.
8 Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.
John 15:16 Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.
John 16:23 And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you.
24 Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full.
Philippians 4:6 Be careful [NKJV: anxious] for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
Philippians 4:19 But [NKJV: And] my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
James 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
James 4:2 Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not.
1 John 3:22 And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.
1 John 5:14 And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:
15 And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.
1 John 5:16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.

I collected the above verses in order to do a post about why should we pray. When reading the verses came to mind the prosperity movement of preachers that you see mainly on TV. These people actually pray for earthly items such as money cars houses etc. These thoughts made me change my mind about where I wanted to go with this post, I think I want to talk more about the structure of prayer and the need of prayer. Also looking at God's answering a prayer.

When you read the above verses keep in mind Christ taught us that we pray and ask Him His name, meaning that we pray for those things needed to accomplish what Christ has put us here for. In other words we are not pray for earthly things to satisfy us alone while we are here on earth. However there are things that we like it would like to have that do satisfy or do help obtain the objectives that Christ has given us. I also like to point out that God answers prayer in three different ways he can say yes, he can say be patient and wait for the answer, or he can say no. The problem with the Western society is that you see in the basic lifestyles of those in Europe and United States everything is about them and they do not want to wait for anything they will not take no for answer even from their government. You look at Greece and the rest of Europe where they are rioting because they are not getting their free stuff and you understand the kind of prayer is that God must be getting from these people.You do not get the same kind of prayers from the people say as you would in African where people pray to bring glory to god and not to theirselves or to bring earthly possessions upon ourselves. The modern Western man must learn to take no for an answer, and must learn to be patient to get to what God wants to give us on His time in His schedule. I think it is important for us to look back at our prayers and ask ourselves have these prayers been to satisfy me and my earthly desires or have these prayers been to help me or if I got an accomplished my mission here on earth.

philer

Re: Ask, and Ye Shall Receive Ye Have Not, Because Ye Ask Not
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 09:27:10 pm »
 I think this is why jesus advised us to pray the way he instructed us to pray what is called the lords prayer. It is very well constructed,it covers everything and there is no need to add to or take away from it. what can you pray or ask for that is not in that prayer? nothing.

JB Horn

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 11:23:24 am »
I think this is why jesus advised us to pray the way he instructed us to pray what is called the lords prayer. It is very well constructed,it covers everything and there is no need to add to or take away from it. what can you pray or ask for that is not in that prayer? nothing.

I disagree with you and I think I posted above a number of requests that are not found in Matthew 6:9-13. Didn't Christ instruct us to pray for our enemies, I don't see that here in the Lord's prayer. I have always considered the Lord's prayer as a starting point, not something to be read or repeated verbatim repetitively.The Bible, both OT and NT, is full of great prayers that were received by God and answered.

philer

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 12:43:59 pm »
I disagree with you and I think I posted above a number of requests that are not found in Matthew 6:9-13. Didn't Christ instruct us to pray for our enemies, I don't see that here in the Lord's prayer. I have always considered the Lord's prayer as a starting point, not something to be read or repeated verbatim repetitively.The Bible, both OT and NT, is full of great prayers that were received by God and answered.

matthew 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

he says pray for them that despitefully use you.  if you take the prayer the lord instructed it covers everything, such as people who despitefully use you when you pray the part where you ask GOD to deliver us from evil.

Matthew 7:7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
9 Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone?
10 Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent?
11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

this one you mentioned give is in the prayer ,give us this day our daily bread

Matthew 18:19 Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.

in the prayer it is covered ,will be done.

Matthew 21:22 And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.

this would be the entire prayer, you pray because you believe, if you do not believe why do you pray? so when you pray the lords prayer believing ye shall recieve.

luke 11:9 is much the same as the verse in matthew 7:7, give us this day our daily bread.

John 14:13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

i think that is covered in our father who art in heaven.

John 15:7 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.
8 Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.

again praying the lords prayer is sufficient it covers whatever the lord would give you.

basically everything is covered in the prayer the lord gave us. but notice though jesus says ask the father. I have no problem asking the father for things, but of course it is only asking not praying. I think the point christ was trying to make with the prayer he told us to pray is ,people pray repetatively in hopes of being heard ,vain as he calls it ,and its a good point ,is your prayer vain ? is it to use upon your lusts and do we ask amiss if it is not what are we asking for that is not in the prayer the lord gave us? worthy of consideration

JB Horn

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 01:01:27 pm »
matthew 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

he says pray for them that despitefully use you.  if you take the prayer the lord instructed it covers everything, such as people who despitefully use you when you pray the part where you ask GOD to deliver us from evil.

Matthew 6:9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. 10 Thy kingdom come . Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. 11 Give us this day our daily bread. 12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. 13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

Fat

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 01:31:19 pm »
 I find it much easier to allow the Holy Ghost to structure my prayer. He knows more what I need then I know.  Also sometimes what I think I need conflicts with God's plan for me. Of course we only realize this and hind site.

Moss

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 11:18:49 am »
There is scripture telling us not to pray repetitive meaningless prayers. I don't have it off hand, can anyone help? I have seen it use to comment on Rosary beads.

biblebuf

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 03:48:04 pm »
There is scripture telling us not to pray repetitive meaningless prayers. I don't have it off hand, can anyone help? I have seen it use to comment on Rosary beads.

Matthew 6:7. "And when you are praying, do not use meaningless repetition as the Gentiles do, for they suppose that they will be heard for their many words."