Author Topic: Of Meekness  (Read 1449 times)

Moss

Of Meekness
« on: June 13, 2019, 11:53:31 pm »
By Ruth Peters

Meekness

Soft Answers to Rough Questions
A missionary in Jamaica was once questioning some little boys on the meaning of Matthew 5:5 and asked, “Who are the meek?” A boy answered, “Those who give soft answers to rough questions.” We shall do well to remember this child’s definition. The one who has wisdom in his head and heart does not need to shout at others. Wisdom speaks softly and persuasively, instead of impelling and forcing. Through the use of our tongues people will know whether we are wise or not. As that great theologian, Charles Hodge, said, “The doctrines of grace humble a man without degrading him and exalt him without inflating him.”

The Meek Shall Inherit the Earth
Men cannot understand how meekness is going to inherit the earth. Men believe in physical strength. They believe in arms and armies. They believe in craft and cunning. They believe in energy, will, and perseverance. They believe in things. They believe in matter. They believe in influencing their fellowmen, working upon them by threats, by pain, by fear. There are few men who believe that a humble man is being used in the strongest possible manner. They cannot credit that his humility shows that he is governed by his highest nature. They cannot conceive that an attitude of meekness is in perfect accord with the divine nature, which is dwelling in that meek one as a result of his new birth in Christ. In saying that the meek shall inherit the earth, our Lord declares this is the potential accomplishment of the man who is indwelt by Christ, by the Spirit of God within man.

The Fruit of Meekness
A Brahmin compared the Christian missionary to the mango tree. All its branches hang with fruit. It is then assailed with stones and clubs by passersby. How does it respond—by dropping fruit at every blow at the feet of those who assail it. At the close of the season, it stands scarred and battered, its leaves torn off, its branches broken. But the next year it bears more fruit than the previous year. That is what our meekness should do in the world—not try to conserve its self-esteem but bear fruit, fruit that descends low at the attack of cruel words and actions. Christian meekness cannot be exercised in isolation. It must be manifested within the framework of society, a society that hates the Lord Jesus Christ, openly or subtly, and all who stand for Him.

A Sense of God’s Goodness
One night during an evangelistic meeting, a paralytic was wheeled down the aisle and placed near the platform. In the preliminary part of the service, the song leader caught sight of him and asked, “What is your favorite hymn?” He immediately answered, “Count Your Blessings!” There was no wail of complaint from the handicapped man, just a vivid sense of the goodness of God. Our submissiveness to God spells satisfaction for our lot on earth. This is the lesson of this Beatitude, “Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.” This paralytic is surely heir to a greater part of earth than many a millionaire. Meekness, in this sense, is a power—the power to feel satisfaction with what God gives, the power not to merely endure it but to enjoy it to the fullest and to use it for His purpose.

A Room Nobody Wants
When Sammy Morris, a Kru boy from Africa, came to America to be trained for Christian service, he presented himself for matriculation at Taylor University. He revealed a spirit all too rare among Christians. When the President of the University asked him what room he wanted, Sammy replied, “If there is a room nobody wants, give that to me.” Of this incident the President later wrote: “I turned away, for my eyes were full of tears. I was asking myself whether I was willing to take what nobody else wanted. In my experience as a teacher, I have had occasion to assign rooms to more than a thousand students. Most of them were noble, Christian young ladies and gentlemen; but Sammy Morris was the only one of them who ever said, ‘If there is a room that nobody wants, give that to me.’ ”

Meekness of Wisdom
A preacher once received a letter with a pathetic story of a muddled and disordered life which ended: “It just beats me. A doctor of philosophy and unable to solve my own troubles!” It takes more than a friend of wisdom to help us in our troubles; it takes Wisdom personified, the Lord Jesus Himself. When everything goes wrong and troubles abound and the Christian can still go about his duties in life without revolting against God, against Wisdom, then he is possessed with this wonderful meekness of wisdom. Meekness of wisdom is accepting Wisdom’s dealings with us without a murmur and without a sigh. It is that temper of spirit which at all times says, “Yes, Lord, Thou knowest best.”

Fat

Re: Of Meekness
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 12:03:22 am »
1 Peter 3:4
but [let it be] the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God.

2 Corinthians 10:1
Now I, Paul, myself urge you by the meekness and gentleness of Christ-- I who am meek when face to face with you, but bold toward you when absent!

biblebuf

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 09:31:03 am »
Susan

There is nothing in the Bible about three wise men.

The Christ has already come as a humble servant, He will return as a conquering king.

“But we do see Him who was made for a little while lower than the angels, namely, Jesus, because of the suffering of death crowned with glory and honor, so that by the grace of God He might taste death for everyone.”
HEBREWS‬ 2:9‬ NASB‬‬

“but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men.”
PHILIPPIANS‬ 2:7‬ NASB‬‬

Bob

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 08:14:08 pm »
There are a lot of prophecies that are not in the Bible. Among others, they include the three wise men and baptism in a river on the rocks, the drummer boy, the star in the East with visiting kings, and the voice from Heaven. All of prophecy will be fulfilled when the Messiah comes, there will not be a 2000 year gap. Prophecy ends with Zechariah 14 and the resurrection on the Mount of Olives. Salvation will come down to belief and the final judgment will affect the heathen Joel 3:12, it is also called the "valley of decision" Joel 3:14.

Read the rules.
I am asking you to give bible reference to the three wise men. Thank you

Bob

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 11:31:34 am »
I have said these prophecies are not in the Bible. There were three wise kings in the NT who followed the star in the east. If this had happened, the star would've been in the west, not the east. The things that are claimed to be fulfilled in the NT were done in an attempt to fulfill scripture. Christianity has combined three different Messianic prophecies. The three wise men, the kings visiting, and the kings bearing gifts. Psalm 68:29. "Because of thy temple at Jerusalem shall kings bring presents unto thee". These prophecies are in a book that was not canonized. I think they're in a book written by Elijah the Prophet. I was told about a lot of these prophecies in church when I was eleven or twelve years old.

I’ll ask you one more time, show the Scriptures where 3 wise men will teach the  Messiah .and the three wise men that followed the star.

Board Rules!

admin

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 12:17:12 pm »
It's in your book. I don't know the NT very well. It says they followed the star in the east and gave Jesus gold, frankincense, and myrrh.

Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them. Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. Matthew 7:15-23

When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him. Deu 18:22

Which say to the seers, See not; and to the prophets, Prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits Isa 30:10

Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. Mat 7:15

BYE.