Author Topic: What day is the sabbath?  (Read 1744 times)

Frank T

What day is the sabbath?
« on: March 28, 2018, 12:53:01 am »
What day is the sabbath?

It looks to me that the New Testament is not real clear on the matter.

Acts 20:7. On the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread, Paul [began] talking to them, intending to leave the next day, and he prolonged his message until midnight.

Colossians 2:16. Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day--

Romans 14:5. One person regards one day above another, another regards every day [alike]. Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind.
6. He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God.

Fat

Re: What day is the sabbath?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 06:11:54 pm »
Hi Frank

We've had this discussion a number of times on this board and others. The Old Testament is clear that we are to work six days and on the seventh day rest. Didn't say anything about Sunday's are Saturdays or any other days of the week. Calendars are made by man not by God. Most people start their work week on Monday you'll find that even many European calendars have Monday is the first day of the week. But you versus in the New Testament, makes it clear that it is up to the individual on which of the days he chooses to worship. I like to think that Christians worship every day is a holy day.

Bob

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 11:44:22 pm »
Hi Frank

We've had this discussion a number of times on this board and others. The Old Testament is clear that we are to work six days and on the seventh day rest. Didn't say anything about Sunday's are Saturdays or any other days of the week. Calendars are made by man not by God. Most people start their work week on Monday you'll find that even many European calendars have Monday is the first day of the week. But you versus in the New Testament, makes it clear that it is up to the individual on which of the days he chooses to worship. I like to think that Christians worship every day is a holy day.

It is fairly clear that the early Christians had their sabbath on the first day of the week. This is a way of honoring the Resurrection and our new life because of the defeat of death.

pmsantiago

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 06:12:43 pm »
The sabbath has always been on the seventh day. Even in the New Testament, nothing in there shows that the sabbath was ever changed into the first day. Even if we say that the calendar is made by man, isn't it better that we still try to follow what the seventh day is, which is the Saturday (even if it's just in a calendar that is "man-made") than just pick any day of the week? As you have said, every day a Christian worships is a holy day, then that could have been the case with the New Testament. They celebrated the resurrection, but it doesn't mean that they changed the day of the sabbath.

Fat

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 06:56:50 pm »
The sabbath has always been on the seventh day. Even in the New Testament, nothing in there shows that the sabbath was ever changed into the first day. Even if we say that the calendar is made by man, isn't it better that we still try to follow what the seventh day is, which is the Saturday (even if it's just in a calendar that is "man-made") than just pick any day of the week? As you have said, every day a Christian worships is a holy day, then that could have been the case with the New Testament. They celebrated the resurrection, but it doesn't mean that they changed the day of the sabbath.
Hello PM

If you start your work week on Sunday you could make that point, however most of the western world starts their work week Monday. There is no where in the bible that you can fined saying Sunday is the start of the week, let alone the first day of the week. If you do not work on Sunday and you celebrate the sabbath on Saturdays you are breaking the law, are you not? The law does not say "take a day off and then work 5 days before the Sabbath"does it?

macuser

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 07:30:56 pm »
They celebrated the resurrection, but it doesn't mean that they changed the day of the sabbath.

They were Jews, I am a gentile believer in Christ, I celebrate the resurrection.

pmsantiago

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 08:49:12 pm »
Hello PM

If you start your work week on Sunday you could make that point, however most of the western world starts their work week Monday. There is no where in the bible that you can fined saying Sunday is the start of the week, let alone the first day of the week. If you do not work on Sunday and you celebrate the sabbath on Saturdays you are breaking the law, are you not? The law does not say "take a day off and then work 5 days before the Sabbath"does it?

Work does not necessarily mean "job".

As stated in Exodus 20:9 - Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
Exodus 20:10 - But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates.

Work may be chores or anything wherein you are not "resting" and any kind of work is prohibited during the sabbath which is why we prepare for the day of the sabbath during the 6th day wherein we must gather twice as much as we usually do.

Exodus 16:23 And he said unto them, This is that which the LORD hath said, To morrow is the rest of the holy sabbath unto the LORD: bake that which ye will bake to day, and seethe that ye will seethe; and that which remaineth over lay up for you to be kept until the morning.

Exodus 16:26 Six days ye shall gather it; but on the seventh day, which is the sabbath, in it there shall be none.

Exodus 16:27 And it came to pass, that there went out some of the people on the seventh day for to gather, and they found none.

Exodus 16:28 And the LORD said unto Moses, How long refuse ye to keep my commandments and my laws?

Exodus 16:29 See, for that the LORD hath given you the sabbath, therefore he giveth you on the sixth day the bread of two days; abide ye every man in his place, let no man go out of his place on the seventh day.

Exodus 16:30 So the people rested on the seventh day.

When it comes to what the 7th day is, if you look at the definition of Sunday in the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, it means "the first day of the week" and most of the calendars show that too. It is not the seventh day.

When you said "There is no where in the bible that you can find saying Sunday is the start of the week, let alone the first day of the week" which is why you think it is right to worship on a Sunday, does this mean that you don't believe nor even use dictionaries and calendars at all?

Fat

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 12:33:04 am »
Quote from: pmsantiago
When it comes to what the 7th day is, if you look at the definition of Sunday in the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, it means "the first day of the week" and most of the calendars show that too. It is not the seventh day.

When you said "There is no where in the bible that you can find saying Sunday is the start of the week, let alone the first day of the week" which is why you think it is right to worship on a Sunday, does this mean that you don't believe nor even use dictionaries and calendars at all?

Pmsantiago thanks for your reply.

I have a calendar that shows the first day of the week to be Monday. The 7-day week is the international standard week (ISO 8601) used by the majority of the world.
 By the way the names YOU use on YOUR calendar named After Gods and Planets they are not Biblical.

November 2018

Mon Tue   Wed   Thu   Fri   Sat   Sun
29    30    31    01    02    03    04
05    06    07    08    09    10    11
12    13    14    15    16    17    18
19    20    21    22    23    24    25
26    27    28    29    30    01    02

http://myweb.ecu.edu/mccartyr/isowdcal.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_week_date
https://www.calculator.net/day-of-the-week-calculator.html

Are you circumcised as the law requires? And what about the law concerning your diet, ever have clam chowder, crab, lobster, or BBQ pork ribs? And when you shave do you follow the law? Leviticus 19:27  'You shall not round off the side-growth of your heads nor harm the edges of your beard

You worry about what day of the week I worship on, and I tell you I worship on every day of the week. So your problem is what day I call the Sabbath.  I follow Scripture and call the seventh day of the week, after working six days, the Sabbath.  If you want to put names to those days you might reconsider using names of pagan gods, named after planets. The Lord might not appreciate you naming his day of worship after the planet god Saturn, instead you might refer to it as the 7th day as the Scripture does.

Have a nice Sabbath day.
Fat