Author Topic: I have set before you life and death  (Read 3592 times)

biblebuf

I have set before you life and death
« on: July 03, 2012, 12:26:21 am »

I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life. Deut. 30:19
For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dieth, saith the Lord God: wherefore turn yourselves, and live ye. Ezek. 18:32
If I had not come and spoken unto them, they had not had sin but now they have no cloke for their sin. John 15:22
That servant, which knew his lord’s will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. Luke 12:47
The wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Rom. 6:23  He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life but the wrath of God abideth on him. John 3:36  Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness? Rom. 6:16
If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour. John 12:26

JB Horn

Re: I have set before you life and death
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 08:40:53 am »
There are people who believe in God but have not said yes to the offer of life. To those people these verses are directed but there are those who believe not in God, their unbelief stoops them from having that choice.

biblebuf

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 12:22:42 pm »
Of course if you don't know there is a choice to make you will fail to make it. By default you will be given death because for that choice you need not repent.

JB Horn

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 12:33:42 am »
Could it be that repentance is in the Heart and not in the Head? In other words just saying the sinners prayer that the TV ministers have you repeat is not enough to make that choice. Saying give me the gift and then returning to the same life does not come under the definition of repent. So you could repent not knowing of Jesus and you would not receive salvation, correct? Just trying to disturb the pot :)

repent |riˈpent|
verb [ intrans. ]
to feel such sorrow for sin or fault as to be disposed to change one's life for the better; be penitent.
feel or express sincere regret or remorse about one's wrongdoing or sin : the priest urged his listeners to repent | he repented of his action.
 [ trans. ] view or think of (an action or omission) with deep regret or remorse : Marian came to repent her hasty judgment.
 ( repent oneself) archaic feel regret or penitence about : I repent me of all I did.

biblebuf

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 11:24:58 am »
Could it be that repentance is in the Heart and not in the Head?

It has to be both, you must understand that you have sinned against God and wanting to change comes from the heart not the head.

So you could repent not knowing of Jesus and you would not receive salvation, correct?

I agree totally and I give you the Muslim faith as an example.

JB Horn

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 09:22:34 am »
I would add God's people the Jews to that. They have chosen the law over the gift being offered to them. And that is a real hard one for me to understand.

biblebuf

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 12:19:44 am »
I would add God's people the Jews to that. They have chosen the law over the gift being offered to them. And that is a real hard one for me to understand.

No one understands God's plan, but we know it will all work out to His glory.

savedbymercy

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 03:14:05 am »
I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life. Deut. 30:19

That scripture applied only to God's Covenant People Israel under the Old Covenant !

biblebuf

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 08:42:50 am »

That scripture applied only to God's Covenant People Israel under the Old Covenant !

Even the Gentiles are convicted  by the law. Without the law we have no knowledge of our sin and can not confess. Spurgeon once said that Christ can be found in every book of the OT.

savedbymercy

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 11:18:23 am »
buf

Even the Gentiles are convicted  by the law.

But Deut 30:19 was not written to or about gentiles !