Author Topic: From a letter from John MacArthur  (Read 1240 times)

Moss

From a letter from John MacArthur
« on: May 18, 2018, 06:08:38 pm »
(SNIP)

As I’ve said many times, when I came to Grace Community Church nearly five decades ago, I expected that my ministry as a pastor would involve defending the gospel from attacks. What I didn't expect was that attacks from within the professing church would be so relentless. The assaults from within have taken many forms: the charismatic movement, the self-esteem movement, the seeker movement, the emergent movement. Virtually every doctrinal aberration and dangerous trend I’ve addressed from the pulpit over the years has been, at root, a challenge to the true gospel—a perversion of what it means to embrace Christ as Lord.

To see the result of those relentless attacks, look no further than the church's changing views on homosexuality and marriage. While the shift toward affirming homosexuality seemed to happen rapidly, it was actually the fruit of decades of shallow preaching, cultural accommodation, and theological cowardice. Bit by bit, people’s confidence has been undermined to the point that they’ve become unable or unwilling to identify sin as sin. The purity and testimony of God's people has been compromised, and one major cause is a fundamental lack of confidence in and commitment to Scripture’s gospel truth.

The true church can never rest and a faithful pastor’s work is never done. We need to constantly preach to the world and to ourselves the true gospel, and strive for greater clarity and precision—not less. By so doing, we cultivate our own spiritual growth, we protect the health of the church, and we strengthen our witness.

Hal

Re: From a letter from John MacArthur
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 01:54:21 pm »
As it has been said by another member of the forum, political correctness is a cancer in the church.

Iconoclast

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 05:13:27 am »
The root cause of most of the theological declension is a lack of true Knowledge of The biblical God and His holy attributes

SovereignGrace

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 03:09:15 pm »
(SNIP)

As I’ve said many times, when I came to Grace Community Church nearly five decades ago, I expected that my ministry as a pastor would involve defending the gospel from attacks. What I didn't expect was that attacks from within the professing church would be so relentless. The assaults from within have taken many forms: the charismatic movement, the self-esteem movement, the seeker movement, the emergent movement. Virtually every doctrinal aberration and dangerous trend I’ve addressed from the pulpit over the years has been, at root, a challenge to the true gospel—a perversion of what it means to embrace Christ as Lord.

To see the result of those relentless attacks, look no further than the church's changing views on homosexuality and marriage. While the shift toward affirming homosexuality seemed to happen rapidly, it was actually the fruit of decades of shallow preaching, cultural accommodation, and theological cowardice. Bit by bit, people’s confidence has been undermined to the point that they’ve become unable or unwilling to identify sin as sin. The purity and testimony of God's people has been compromised, and one major cause is a fundamental lack of confidence in and commitment to Scripture’s gospel truth.

The true church can never rest and a faithful pastor’s work is never done. We need to constantly preach to the world and to ourselves the true gospel, and strive for greater clarity and precision—not less. By so doing, we cultivate our own spiritual growth, we protect the health of the church, and we strengthen our witness.

I think the woke church movement is another attack.

Iconoclast

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 04:10:33 pm »
Welcome to bible discussions SG. The Church is under attack but we win on the last day, so that should encourage all faithful believers here and now! :)

macuser

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 05:24:21 pm »
I think the woke church movement is another attack.

Hello

Question: is the woke church movement the same as Liberation theology?

Thanks
Mac

SovereignGrace

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 10:36:50 pm »
Hello

Question: is the woke church movement the same as Liberation theology?

Thanks
Mac

I really don't know, but they do seem eerily similar.