Author Topic: Assurance Of Eternal Salvation  (Read 1265 times)

Frank T

Assurance Of Eternal Salvation
« on: July 02, 2018, 07:21:08 pm »
From Ligonier Ministries:

Many believe that assurance of eternal salvation is neither possible nor even to be sought. To claim such assurance is considered a mask of supreme arrogance, the nadir of self-conceit.

Yet if God declares that it is possible to have full assurance of salvation and even commands that we seek after it, it would be supremely arrogant for one to deny or neglect it.

In fact, God does command us to seek certainty about our salvation: “Therefore, my brothers, be all the more eager to make your calling and election sure. For if you do these things, you will never fall” (2 Peter 1:10, NIV).

This command admits of no justifiable neglect. It addresses a crucial matter. The question “Am I saved?” is one of the most important questions I can ever ask myself. I need to know the answer. I must know the answer. This is not a trifle.

Without the assurance of salvation, the Christian life is unstable. It is vulnerable to the debilitating rigors of mood changes and allows the wolf of heresy to camp on the doorstep.

Progress in sanctification requires a firm foundation in faith. Without it, the foundation crumbles.

https://www.ligonier.org/learn/devotionals/asking-most-important-question/

JB Horn

Re: Assurance Of Eternal Salvation
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 12:29:07 am »
Hi Frank, been a while sense we had this topic up on the board.

Here are a few more verses that show the truth of the preservation or perseverance of the saints.

Ephesians 1:13-14 In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation -having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise,  who is given as a pledge of our inheritance, with a view to the redemption of God's own possession, to the praise of His glory.

Philippians 1:6 For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

Romans 8:28-39  And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.   For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren;  and these whom He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified.   What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who is against us?   He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him over for us all, how will He not also with Him freely give us all things?   Who will bring a charge against God's elect? God is the one who justifies;   who is the one who condemns? Christ Jesus is He who died, yes, rather who was raised, who is at the right hand of God, who also intercedes for us.   Who will separate us from the love of Christ? Will tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?   Just as it is written, "FOR YOUR SAKE WE ARE BEING PUT TO DEATH ALL DAY WE WERE CONSIDERED AS SHEEP TO BE SLAUGHTERED." But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us.   For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

John 10:27-30 "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me;   and I give eternal life to them, and they will never * perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand.   "My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand.   "I and the Father are one."

John 6:37-40  "All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out.   "For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me. "This is the will of Him who sent Me, that of all that He has given Me I lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day.   "For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him will have eternal life, and I Myself will raise him up on the last day."

John 5:24 "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come.

Hebrews 7:25 Therefore He is able also to save forever those who draw near to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them.

And on the other hand:

1 John 2:3-4 By this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments. The one who says, "I have come to know Him," and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him;

Fat

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 12:30:57 pm »
 Just think about it, if you’re saved does that mean that you are only temporary saved or maybe on probation?
You see the word adoption used in the Bible concerning the saved, can you be an adopted?

Iconoclast

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 08:11:30 pm »
A saved person.....is saved from the practice of sin, He is no longer bound by it but by the Spirit can begin to mortify sin as it says in romans 8:1-17 and col3.
Being "saved from sins" has eternal life....eternal is eternal, not temporary. ;)