Bible Talk > Apologetics

What is the kingdom of God

(1/2) > >>

Iconoclast:
https://www.desiringgod.org/interviews/what-is-the-kingdom-of-God

There is many ways to approach such a subject...it needs to be defined;

here is a bit from this sermon;
1]“The kingdom” is a big theme for Jesus. In the ESV translation, “kingdom” is mentioned 126 times in the Gospels. But then “kingdom” is mentioned only 34 times in the rest of the New Testament.

2]I hear two crucial questions: (1) What is the kingdom of God? (2) Why does it get so much prominent, explicit focus in the teachings of Jesus but far less prominent, explicit focus in the letters of the New Testament?

3]Rule and Reign
I think the most important thing I could say about the kingdom of God that would help people make sense out of all the uses is that the basic meaning of the word kingdom in the Bible is God’s reign — R-E-I-G-N — not realm or people. The kingdom creates a realm, the kingdom creates a people, but the kingdom of God is not synonymous with its realm or its people.

“God decided the kingdom of God would be most gloriously revealed in a crucified and risen king.” Tweet Share on Facebook
For example, consider Psalms 103:19: “The Lord has established his throne in the heavens, and his kingdom rules over all.” You can hear the basic meaning of the word kingdom as rule. It doesn’t mean that his kingdom rules over his realm; it means that God’s reign or rule governs all things.

4]He sits as king on his throne of the universe, and his kingly rule — his kingdom and his reign — governs all things. The basic meaning of the word kingdom in the Bible is God’s kingly rule — his reign, his action, his lordship, his sovereign governance.

5]In and through Jesus, God, the king, is coming in a way — a new way — into the world to establish his saving rule. First, in the hearts of his people and in their relationships by triumphing over sin, Satan, and death. Then by the exercise of his reign, gathering a people for himself in congregations that live as citizens of a new allegiance of the kingdom — not of this world. Then Christ comes a second time and completes the reign by establishing a new heavens and a new earth.

Iconoclast:
Jesus spoke to people  and explained what was necessary to enter into the Kingdom;

3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Jesus explained why He gave the kingdom parables;
mt13;
10 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?

11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

Believers are told this;
col1;
12 Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:

13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:

That is now.

Iconoclast:
http://www.spurgeongems.org/vols43-45/chs2515.pdf

Moss:

--- Quote --- “The Lord has established his throne in the heavens, and his kingdom rules over all.” You can hear the basic meaning of the word kingdom as rule. It doesn’t mean that his kingdom rules over his realm; it means that God’s reign or rule governs all things.

--- End quote ---

Some of Piper's thought process doesn't quite hold together. If the definition of the kingdom that is referred to throughout the New Testament is all that God reigns over, or has sovereignty over then there is nothing outside of His kingdom.

We are all under God's rule but we are not all in His Kingdom.

Biblical examples:

And Jesus, looking around, said to His disciples, "How hard it will be for those who are wealthy to enter the kingdom of God!"

When Jesus saw that he had answered intelligently, He said to him, "You are not far from the kingdom of God." After that, no one would venture to ask Him any more questions.

It Looks Like The Kingdom Is Going To Be A Physical Place.

Iconoclast:
That is why it is a large area of study. At the end of the age the angels as reapers gather out of the Kingdom all things that offend. They are  removed from it.
Col1 says we are in it. BOTH wheat and tares are in it .Some do not have a wedding garment on. Some do not have oil in their lamp.
I do not always like how John Piper expresses things. I JUST USED THIS AS AN INTRODUCTION.
We can add much to this topic.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version