Bible Talk > Apologetics

Do the Mormons believe in the virgin birth of Christ?

(1/1)

JB Horn:
Do the Mormons believe in the virgin birth of Christ?

In a conversation that I had with two Mormons, young ladies in the early 20s, I brought up the fact that Brigham Young taught against the virgin birth of Christ begotten by the Holy Ghost. They looked at me astonished and commented they never heard of such a thing. Further conversations with the young ladies led me to believe that they knew very little about the three Gospels found in the New Testament Scriptures.

Let me post a few quotes from various Mormons some coming from their official doctrine statements.

Brigham Young: “The birth of the Saviour was as natural as are the births of our children; it was the result of natural action. He partook of flesh and blood – was begotten of his Father, as we were of our fathers.” Journal of discourses vol. 8, page 115.

“The Father came down and begat him, the same as we do now…” (The Complete Discourses of Brigham Young, vol. 1, p. 321; February 16, 1849, Salt Lake City)

“Christ was begotten by an immortal Father in the same way that mortal men are begotten by mortal fathers.” (Mormon Doctrine, 1966, p. 547)

“When the Virgin Mary conceived the child Jesus, the Father had begotten him in his own likeness. He was not begotten by the Holy Ghost… Jesus, our elder brother, was begotten in the flesh by the same character that was in the garden of Eden, and who is our Father in Heaven… Now, remember from this time forth, and for ever, that Jesus Christ was not begotten by the Holy Ghost. I will repeat a little anecdote. I was in conversation with a certain learned professor upon this subject, when I replied, to this idea if the Son was begotten by the Holy Ghost, it would be very dangerous to baptize and confirm females, and give the Holy Ghost to them, lest he should beget children, and be palmed upon the Elders by the people, bringing the Elders into great difficulties.” (Journal of Discourses 1:50, 51)

“The birth of the Saviour was as natural as are the births of our children; it was the result of natural action. He partook of flesh and blood – was begotten of his Father, as we were of our fathers.” (Journal of Discourses 8:115)

“The man Joseph, the husband of Mary, did not, that we know of, have more than one wife, but Mary the wife of Joseph had another husband. On this account infidels have called the Savior a bastard. This is merely a human opinion upon one of the inscrutable doings of the Almighty. That very babe that was cradled in the manger, was begotten, not by Joseph, the husband of Mary, but by another Being. Do you inquire by whom? He was begotten by God our heavenly Father. This answer may suffice you—you need never inquire more upon that point.” (Journal of Discourses 11:268)

“In relation to the way in which I look upon the works of God and his creatures, I will say that I was naturally begotten; so was my father, and also my Saviour Jesus Christ. According to the Scriptures, he is the first begotten of his father in the flesh, and there was nothing unnatural about it.” (Journal of Discourses 8:211)

“Now, little boys and girls, when you are confronted by infidels in the world who know nothing of how Christ was begotten, you can say he was born just as the infidel was begotten and born, so was Christ begotten by his Father, who is also our Father—the Father of our spirits—and he was born of his mother Mary. Joseph F. Smith

Fat:
Hi JB
I think you answered your own question. When you get into the weeds of the Mormon theology it gets real scary. Things like every believer becoming a god and getting his own planet to rule over.

JB Horn:
Hello Fat

I know that there are a lot of issues with LDS and the Scriptures but I would like to stick with one issue at a time. I don’t want to appear to be on a bashing tirade against them. Let’s hear the argument for this one and see if they can defend it. From past experience I believe that many of them are unaware of their own church beliefs.

Fat:
Hint on the answer:
The book of mormon and the LDS church trumps the 66 books of the bible.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version