Author Topic: 1 Cor. 13:10 your thoughts??  (Read 557 times)

Isaiah9Six

1 Cor. 13:10 your thoughts??
« on: December 21, 2018, 06:42:10 pm »
1 Cor. 13:10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.(KJV)

The apostle Paul started in chapter 12 to discuss spiritual gifts v.1 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant. He wants the christians in Corinth to eliminate those things that cause division. In chapter 1 there was division over preachers. In chapters 2 and 3 they were divided between carnal and spiritual believers. In chapter 4 there was division over apostolic authority. In chapter 5 a man was engaged in open sin and there was not a spiritual person among them to rebuke him. In chapter 6 there was division over taking a brother to court. In chapter 7 there was division over marriage. In chapter 8 there was division over eating things offered to idols. In chapter 9 there was division over if the preacher should be paid. In chapter 10 he resumes his discussion about eating things offered to idols. In chapter 11 they were divided over the Lord's Supper. And in chapters 12 through 14 the division is over the proper use of spiritual gifts.

I thought it necessary to give the context of the letter to the church in Corinth because of the various interpretations I read about verse 13:10. Unity is Paul's aim and it should be ours as well as we unravel chapter 13.

The contention in chapter 12 is that some believers felt their gift made them superior to other believers who had a different gift. Paul uses the human body to show that as our physical body has many members but not one of them is more important than another. So also the body of Christ. He concludes chapter 12 with the promise to show a gift that far exceeds the spiritual gifts they were using. Paul says love is the more excellent gift because it brings unity and not division. He begins a contrast between a gift they were divided over and the gift of love with love winning out everytime. Why did love win out everytime? Because prophecies would fail, but love would carry on to the end. The same with tongues and knowledge (divine revelation). They would fail, but love would carry a person on to the end with no hint of division.

Verse 10 says that when that which is perfect comes then that which is in part shall be done away. It didn't say when He which is perfect comes (meaning Christ) it said when that which is able to produce love in us and see us through to the end comes. Jesus said in Matt. 24:35 that heaven and earth would pass away but his word not pass away. John said in 1 John 2:5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected:

Unity among believers is possible if we rally around the word of God in love. Paul's advice to the Corinthian church is advice for us today. Let us lay aside every weight or sin that tries to entangle us and receive with meekness the engrafted word which is able to save our souls.

Consider what I say