Author Topic: The doctrine of Christ  (Read 2966 times)

Isaiah9Six

The doctrine of Christ
« on: December 27, 2018, 07:24:28 am »
Hebrews 5:12-6:3 For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat. 13. For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. 14. But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil. 1. Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God, 2. Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment. 3. And this will we do, if God permit.

It should be noted specifically that there are certain elementary, basic, and foundational truths in the Christian system that should be known and received by all. These things are called here "first principles"; and there is not the slightest hint in this place and elsewhere that these basic things are not important; but, on the other hand, they are projected as vital.

The audience he is writing to is comprised of Jews who (because of persecution) are tempted to fall away from the doctrine of Christ and once again embrace Judaism. His word of encouragement is to move on past the first principles and go on to perfection. What are those first principles and could they be used here to explain what sound doctrine is? I believe so. I want to discuss them individually since they appear in the sequential order that they should be obeyed beginning with repentance.

Repentance; a change of mind that results in a change of action. A biblical example is found in the gospel of Matthew. Jesus is talking to the chief priests and elders in 21:28-32  28. But what think ye? A certain man had two sons; and he came to the first, and said, Son, go work to day in my vineyard. 29. He answered and said, I will not: but afterward he repented, and went. 30. And he came to the second, and said likewise. And he answered and said, I go, sir: and went not. 31. Whether of them twain did the will of his father? They say unto him, The first. Jesus saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That the publicans and the harlots go into the kingdom of God before you. 32. For John came unto you in the way of righteousness, and ye believed him not: but the publicans and the harlots believed him: and ye, when ye had seen it, repented not afterward, that ye might believe him.

The first son had a change of mind. He initially said "I will not go work in the vineyard" his mind changed, he repented and went. What is it that causes us to change our mind? The apostle Paul in writing to the church at Corinth tells us it's Godly sorrow 2 Cor. 7:10. People can have sorrow over an issue and still not repent. They may feel sorrow that they got caught but that type of sorrow doesn't bring about change.

Where do we get the knowledge to know what is godly and what is worldly? James tells us in James 3:13-17   13. Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom. 14. But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth. 15. This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish. 16. For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work. 17. But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.

Putting this short piece together we see that God's truth is revealed from heaven without partiality and without hypocrisy. The heart of man can be touched by this truth causing him to question in his mind the direction he is going in life. A honest and sincere heart will feel godly sorrow for their actions and acknowledge that the works they're engaged in are dead works that don't lead to life. When the mind changes and admits that what they're doing in life is wrong, they will repent and turn to God.

I'll continue this thread later. The question that begs to be answered is "now that repentance has taken place what's a person supposed to do?" The answer, have faith in God.....

« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 01:04:32 pm by Isaiah9Six »

Fat

Re: The doctrine of Christ
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 01:27:30 pm »
Repentance is never a completed journey, you must change from your old ways forever.

Isaiah9Six

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 03:07:24 pm »
Faith toward God;

Hebrews 11:1 (KJV) Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
Hebrews 11:1 (NIV) Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.
Hebrews 11:1 (HCBS) Now faith is the reality of what is hoped for, the proof of what is not seen.

I wanted to give a biblical understanding of faith, that is why I have quoted from these different translations. By looking at what these versions collectively say we can be sure our definition is correct. Substance, confidence, and reality all point to an actual realization of the hope of salvation in our minds. Even though the evidence, assurance and proof of what we believe we have not actually seen with our eyes. Note that one’s belief is evidenced by acts of obedience. Though we did not see God create the universe nor hear Him verbally reveal the scriptures we believe that he did and evidence that faith by our obedience to His will. Faith then is a mental decision that each individual makes regarding the hope of eternal salvation and that decision is evidenced by our acts of obedience.

Why does the writer of Hebrews make a point of saying "faith towards God" when his audience is primarily Jewish who already believed in Jehovah? We can only speculate since the writer doesn't specifically say. But there are other places in the bible where we see what Jews placed their confidence in. Philippians 3 for example; 2. Beware of dogs, beware of evil workers, beware of the concision. 4. For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh. 5. Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more:   Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee; 6. Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.

It's speculation, but since the Jews who were receiving this letter were falling back into Judaism, the confidence in the flesh, the Law and their heritage with Abraham would have been things they rather trusted in to avoid being persecuted for following Christ.

Another question that begs to be asked is what is it about God that we are supposed to have confidence in that will ensure our salvation? Sin is what separates us from God and is what stands in the way of having peace with our creator. According to the writer the removal of sin is accomplished by blood (Heb.9:22). The apostle Paul confirms that is true in Rom. 3:25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

One last question to be answered is where does faith come from? Is it a gift from the Holy Spirit as I have heard some people say? Or is it something better felt than told, a subjective experience that's special for each believer?

The bible says faith comes by hearing God's word (Rom. 10:17) there are numerous examples in the book of Acts where an unbeliever heard the story of a young carpenter who claimed to be the Son of God that came to offer forgiveness of sins to the world. He did good his entire life by amazing people with signs and wonders, giving all praise and honor to his Father. The chief priests and religious leaders saw him as a heretic and accused him of blasphemy which is punishable by death. They arrested him, set him before the courts where he was found guilty, and he was sentenced to die by crucifixion but he rose from the dead. The band of followers that worshipped him preached a message that said the faith that Jesus had in his Father to raise him from the dead is available to anyone who believed in the power of his blood to forgive their sins and raise them from the dead also. They said that Jesus went to heaven to prepare a place for anyone who lived faithful unto death. Jesus also promised to give the Holy Spirit as a seal to identify and protect them until he returned.

So there we have it......the conclusion is that story has the power to move a person to examine what they have their faith in, the things of this world or the power of the blood of Jesus to forgive sin. If the heart is honest that story of the resurrection of Christ will produce faith in God to also raise them from the dead. The natural thing to do will be to repent and trust in God to forgive their sins.

To be continued soon talking about the doctrine of baptisms......

Isaiah9Six

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 03:10:02 pm »
I agree Fat.....It's what the bible calls sanctification. We are constantly in a state of putting off the old man of sin and putting on the new man who conforms to the image of our loving Savior.

Isaiah9Six

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 07:16:18 am »
I have been talking about sound doctrine as found in the bible, using what the writer of the letter Hebrews used to encourage the believers of his time to continue in the faith. The Hebrew writer described for me what the first principles of the faith are in Heb. 6:1-3, and those principles make for sound doctrine in any generation. I have discussed repentance from dead works and faith towards God, the next principle is the doctrine of baptisms.

Baptism; 907 baptízō – properly, "submerge" (Souter); hence, baptize, to immerse (literally, "dip under"). 907 (baptízō) implies submersion ("immersion"), in contrast to 472 /antéxomai ("sprinkle").

Because baptism is such a controversial subject I thought it wise to consult the Greek to properly identify what the word means. To submerge, immerse, to dip under water is the proper meaning and the one that I will use when talking about baptism.

Note the writer of Hebrews makes baptism plural to indicate more than one baptism. Since there are many baptisms we should follow the rules of interpreting scripture which is to always consider the context. The context for a discussion about baptism must begin in the Old Testament since the audience to whom we're speaking to had the torah as their frame of reference and not a modern day understanding.

After the tabernacle was constructed in Exodus, God gave instructions for worship and daily living in Leviticus. Included in those instructions was washing to make one self ritually clean. Lev. 14:8-9; 15:13; 17:15-16. On the Day of Atonement specific instructions were given to the priest concerning washing as well Lev. 16:23-28. In all of these examples immersion was done for purification or to be ceremonially cleansed. As we move through the Old Testament getting closer to when the Messiah would come, we see the prophets using the people’s knowledge of ceremonial cleanliness before God as a way to symbolize the people needing to cleanse their hearts from sin. The external act of immersion symbolized the cleansing taking place as the worshipper was unclean but now was made clean in the sight of God.

In the first 15 verses of Isaiah 1, Isaiah condemns the people for their wickedness. The people were full of injustice, bloodshed, and iniquity. Isaiah then declared in verse 16, Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes; cease to do evil; In speaking in Messianic language about what would come with the Christ, Zechariah prophesied: In that day there shall be a fountain opened to the house of David and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem for sin and for uncleanness. (Zech. 13:1)

Zechariah prophesied to the people telling them they needed to look forward to the day of the Messiah when a washing away of sin and impurity would take place. This picture would make perfect sense to the people of Israel. The blood of bulls and goats was not taking away sins. The ceremonial washings were simply symbols of a greater reality that was to come (Hebrews 9:10). Israel was awaiting the Messiah who would bring the reality. That explains why in John 1:25 it seems the people of Israel were expecting immersion in water as a sign of the Messianic age. “So they asked him, ‘Why then do you baptize if you aren’t the Messiah, or Elijah, or the Prophet?'”. Immersion in water was not a shocking new teaching but was expected by the people. The Messianic age would require the people to ask God for cleansing through baptism.

This quick look into the Old Testament gives us a better feel for what the New Testament reveals about baptism. Notice how the writer of Hebrews draws strongly on the ritual washings of the Old Testament and applies it to the act of baptism under the covenant of Jesus. “Therefore, brothers, since we have boldness to enter the sanctuary through the blood of Jesus, by the new and living way that He has inaugurated for us, through the veil (that is, His flesh); and since we have a great high priest over the house of God, let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed in pure water” (Heb. 10:19-22). This is exactly what was commanded under the old covenant to the high priest on behalf of the worshippers. But that was only a symbol of the future reality that the Messiah would bring to the world. The atoning work of Christ is tied to our need to have our hearts cleansed and our bodies washed in water, that is baptism.

The New Testament speaks of more than one baptism and for more than one reason. I'll follow this post with one about that soon.....

Isaiah9Six

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 05:09:27 pm »
Okay, I'm going into the New Testament to talk about baptism, keeping in mind what I have already said about how immersion was done for purification or to be ceremonially cleansed under the Law of Moses. The first person we see baptizing in the New Testament is John.

Luke 3:3 And he came into all the country about Jordan, preaching the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins; 4. As it is written in the book of the words of Esaias the prophet, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.

Baptism #1 baptism of repentance; We have previously discussed what repentance is so we know that what John is doing is turning men's heart to the Lord. Those getting baptized were not saved, only the blood of Jesus is effective enough to remove ones sins, but the act of being baptized indicated a heart that was ready to embrace the coming kingdom that John preached about.

John also spoke of other baptisms in Matthew 3:11; I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

Baptism #2 baptism of the Holy Ghost; The person that would immerse with the Holy Ghost is Jesus. We see that fulfilled in Acts 1 and 2. The question always arises asks if Holy Ghost baptism converts a sinner into a saint. Rather than my answer I rather point to scripture and leave it up to the reader.

John 16:13; Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
Luke 24:49; And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.
Acts 1:8; But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
Acts 2:4; And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
Acts 2:17-18; And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:   And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:

It seems abundantly clear that being baptized with the Holy Spirit is when a believer in Jesus Christ receives extraordinary power for Christ-exalting ministry.

Baptism #3 baptism of fire; Jesus is the administrator of this baptism also. Matthew 3 gives us the picture of what this baptism is all about. v. 10. And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. 11. I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire: 12. Whose fan is in his hand, and he will thoroughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.

Who's talking? John. Who's he talking to? The Pharisees and Sadducees, a representative of the unbelieving Jews. What does the axe and tree represent? The axe is the tool that God will use to cut down the plant that he so carefully wanted to cultivate that it might bear fruit. The axe being the Roman army led by Titus in 70 A.D., the plant being the nation of Israel. The faithful that brought forth fruit by repenting and accepting the Messiah to come (wheat) are gathered in the garner, the unfaithful that didn't produce fruit and were not baptized thus showing they rejected the Messiah (chaff) will be burned in the fire on the last day.

There are still 4 more baptisms in the New Testament to discuss. Baptism #4 is the baptism of suffering that Jesus asked two of his disciples if they were willing to be immersed in. They responded enthusiastically yes, but Jesus warned them that they didn't fully understand what they were asking for. It was a figurative expression to say be baptized with the baptism of suffering, although everyone who wears the name of Christ is expected to suffer for His name, only Jesus could suffer for the sins of mankind.

Baptism #5 Baptism unto Moses; The apostle Paul refers to this baptism in 1 Cor. 10:1-4 Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea; 2. And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea; 3. And did all eat the same spiritual meat; 4. And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

The people of God were immersed in water as they passed through the Red Sea. It is a perfect picture of what the people of God under the Messiah experienced when they were baptized into Christ.

First note that in both examples the believers were in bondage, Israel in Egypt and the new Testament believer in sin.

Secondly there is a call from God in both examples to repent. Israel to repent and turn from serving idols. Hosea 11:1-4
1. When Israel was a child, then I loved him, and called my son out of Egypt. 2. As they called them, so they went from them: they sacrificed unto Baalim, and burned incense to graven images. 3. I taught Ephraim also to go, taking them by their arms but they knew not that I healed them. 4. I drew them with cords of a man, with bands of love: and I was to them as they that take off the yoke on their jaws, and I laid meat unto them.
The believer in Christ. Acts 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men everywhere to repent:

Thirdly both examples have the penittit believer putting their faith in the blood to save them from death. Israel by faith put the blood of the lamb over the door. Heb. 11:28. The New Testament believer puts their faith in the message of the gospel. Rom. 1:16-17. For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. 17. For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

Fourth both examples the believers are baptized unto he whom God authorized to be the head of the house. Moses for the children of Israel. 1 Cor. 10:1 And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea; Heb. 3:4 For every house is builded by some man; but he that built all things is God. 5. And Moses verily was faithful in all his house, as a servant, for a testimony of those things which were to be spoken after; 6. But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we, if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end.
Jesus for New Testament believers. Matt. 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Fifth and last example for now is that in both the enemy is destroyed in the water. For Israel, everyone of the Egyptians were drowned in the sea. Heb. 11:29 By faith they passed through the Red sea as by dry land: which the Egyptians assaying to do were drowned. For the believer in Christ their sins are washed away in the water.  Acts 22:16 And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

The last two baptisms are the baptism of the Great Commission and baptism for the dead, I'll get to them tomorrow......

Isaiah9Six

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 07:08:49 am »
Baptism #6; baptism of the Great Commission; The risen Christ commissioned his apostles in Matthew 28:19-20 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20. Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

In Mark 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. 16. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Luke 24:46 And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day: 47. And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. 48. And ye are witnesses of these things. 49. And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.

John 20.21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you. 22. And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost: 23. Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

Matthew and Mark's account of the great commission include the command to make disciples by teaching them the gospel first. After a person has heard the good news concerning the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ they have a choice to make. They can continue in unbelief relying upon their own righteousness based on works, or they can have faith in the righteousness God provided which is by faith of Jesus Christ. The way the bible says to demonstrate your faith and say you want the righteousness God provided is to put off or crucify the sinful inner man that resides within every human being in baptism. The death of the sinful inner man is death to sin. The bible says it this way in Rom. 6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. 7. For he that is dead is freed from sin.

The baptism of the great commission is different than the baptism of John or the baptism of the Holy Ghost in that this baptism joins a person to the death of Christ where His blood was shed. Without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sin. Water baptism is the only way the bible says we can be in Christ. John's baptism was unto repentance, and Holy Ghost baptism was for a witness to the truth of God and how the early believers received extraordinary power for Christ-exalting ministry.

Baptism #7 baptism for the dead; a casual reading of the passage in 1 Cor. 15 would make it seem that people were practicing a vicarious baptism by having someone alive baptized for someone that had already died. There is another way to view the passage considering that there is no mention of that practice in scripture and Paul in other places made it clear that every person must give an account of their own actions on the last day (Rom. 14:12).

A more plausible explanation is that there were some believers in the church at Corinth that questioned the apostle Paul concerning why even bother being baptized if the resurrection is not true? Paul's answer; will you be baptized to be numbered among the dead who will never raise?  Of course not!

Seven baptisms are covered, I'm going to leave baptism and move on to the the next sound doctrine of laying on of hands shortly......

Hal

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 08:40:44 am »
Just a point that should be made, the reference verses you used in Mark were not written by Mark and were not in any transcripts of the Bible until a thousand years after his death.

Many try to use vs 16 to give salvation  power to baptism. Not so says the rest of the Scriptures.

Isaiah9Six

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2018, 10:42:17 am »
Many try to use vs 16 to give salvation  power to baptism. Not so says the rest of the Scriptures.

I was aware of that but thanks for pointing it out, it's a help to others who may not have known. I know what you mean about some who try to give power to baptism, they call it baptismal regeneration. When I study with them I try to be sure they understand what Rom. 1:16 says....For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

A person getting baptized without understanding what God has done through Christ is just getting wet. Unfortunately there are some out there that preach "you have to get baptized in order to be saved" and totally miss what the scriptures are teaching. Here are a few biblical examples of people being taught what Jesus did on the cross to give them faith. And then those same people showing obedience to the faith by being baptized for the remission of sins.

Example #1
The message of the gospel;
Acts 2:22 Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know: 23. Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain: 24. Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.

True repentance;
Acts 2:36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ. 37. Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

Baptism for remission of sins;
Acts 2:41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

Example #2
Preaching about the kingdom of God and Jesus produced faith which led to repentance away from following Simon to following Christ. The believers showed their obedience to the faith by being baptized into Christs death for remission of sins.

Acts 8:9 But there was a certain man, called Simon, which beforetime in the same city used sorcery, and bewitched the people of Samaria, giving out that himself was some great one: 10. To whom they all gave heed, from the least to the greatest, saying, This man is the great power of God. 11. And to him they had regard, because that of long time he had bewitched them with sorceries. 12. But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.

Example #3
The message of the gospel;
Acts 8:34 And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man? 35. Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.

True repentance;
Acts 8:37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

Baptism for remission of sins;
Acts 8:38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him. 39. And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.

There are more but I believe these give the picture of conversion in the New Testament

Isaiah9Six

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2018, 07:09:10 am »
I want to resume talking about sound doctrine. I'm using the text from Heb. 6:1-3 as I believe it covers the "first principles" of the doctrine of Christ and should be considered therefore sound doctrine. I have been going through them one by one and have now reached the topic of laying on of hands. The first instance under the reign of the Messiah is found here;
Acts 6:5 And the saying pleased the whole multitude: and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Ghost, and Philip, and Prochorus, and Nicanor, and Timon, and Parmenas, and Nicolas a proselyte of Antioch: 6. Whom they set before the apostles: and when they had prayed, they laid their hands on them. 7. And the word of God increased; and the number of the disciples multiplied in Jerusalem greatly; and a great company of the priests were obedient to the faith.

There was a crisis developing in the church that needed to be addressed. The widows of the Jews and Greeks had a dispute over the daily ministrations, so the apostles (whose primary responsibility was to preach) chose 6 men that they could put over the work, thus freeing them of the responsibility of doing it. The church was in its infancy, and knowledge about how to function in the different ministries was unknown to the disciples. God's way of equipping the church with what she needed to function and operate under the new covenant was to miraculously empower individuals with spiritual gifts through the laying on of hands.

The ability to do it was given to the apostles at Pentecost when they received the baptism of the Holy Ghost. The writer of Hebrews confirms this in Heb. 2:3 How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him; 4. God also bearing them witness, both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to his own will?

It's important to make a distinction here. The Holy Spirit was the administrator of the spiritual gifts, not the apostles. The apostles merely served as the vehicle by which the Spirit could do his work of organizing the church. It was like that in the beginning when there was chaos the Spirit hovered over what was unorganized and put it in order.

Another place we see the laying on of hands is in Acts 8:14 Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John: 15. Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost: 16. (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.) 17. Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.

Philip (who was one of the deacons in chapter 6) went down to Samaria to preach the gospel. When they heard the truth concerning the kingdom of God and Jesus they were obedient to the terms of the covenant and became followers of Christ. The apostles Peter and John had to go down to Samaria since an apostle was the only one who could administer the spiritual gifts through the laying on of hands. Philip had the gift given to him but he could not continue to pass it on to others. only an apostle could do that.

Through the laying on of hands different gifts were given as spoken of by Paul in 1 Cor. 12:4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5. And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. 6. And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all. 7. But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. 8. For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 9. To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;  10. To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: 11. But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

Take note that the Spirit is the administrator of the gifts. The majority of the miraculous gifts served to give information pertaining to God's will (wisdom, knowledge, prophecy, tongues, interpretation of tongues) the others served to confirm that what was being said was truly from God (faith, healing,working of miracles, discerning of spirits)

One last place that speaks about the laying on of hands is in 2 Tim. 1:6 Wherefore I put thee in remembrance that thou stir up the gift of God, which is in thee by the putting on of my hands.

Paul is encouraging his son in the faith to not let the gift of preaching that was given to him through the laying on of his hands go to waste but rather stir it up and use it.

If it's the Lord's will I will get to the topic of the resurrection from the dead this afternoon.......

Isaiah9Six

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2018, 12:16:38 pm »
The resurrection from the dead is somewhat a controversial subject. If you talk to one person they say that the faithful dead in Christ will rise at one time and that there is another resurrection at a later time for the wicked. Others say there is just one general resurrection for both the righteous and the unrighteous. What I have the responsibility of doing is presenting what the bible says and leaving my opinion out of it. If there is debate about what the scriptures reveal the argument is not with me but with God who breathed them.

John 5:25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live. 26. For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself; 27. And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man. 28. Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, 29. And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

Jesus said the hour is coming and he emphasised it by saying it was now. That now are person could hear the good news of the kingdom and live. The wages of sin then and now is death, as many who heard the glorious gospel of the kingdom and entered therein would find life. Jesus speaks of another hour that is future, it is yet to come in the which all that are in the graves will come forth. They that have done good to the resurrection of life, they that have done evil to the resurrection of damnation.

Moving on to the last point to consider for sound doctrine, the eternal judgement.

I think the word to consider when talking about judgement is "eternal". There will not be another chance to get it right, when judgement day comes that is the end.

1 Cor. 15:20 But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept. 21. For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.   22. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. 23. But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming. 24. Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power. 25. For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet. 26. The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death. 27. For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him. 28. And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

Christ is reigning now, when his reign ends it is the end of time as we know it. The right to rule will be given over to the Father and all things will be as they were in the beginning.

Thanks to those who have responded to this post, I hope the things I shared shed some light on what sound doctrine is. May God bless.....