Author Topic: Illustrations Of Envy  (Read 694 times)

Hal

Illustrations Of Envy
« on: March 06, 2019, 12:22:42 am »

Illustrations Of Envy

By Ruth Peters

The Crush of Envy
An incident is related in Greek history of a wrestler who was so envious of Theagenes, the prince of wrestlers, that he could not be consoled in any way. After Theagenes died, a statue of him was erected in a public place. His envious antagonist went out every night and wrestled with the statue, until one night he threw it over. The statue fell on him and crushed him to death.

No Time for Envy
Many Christians are like that person who, one day, looked extremely sad. One who knew him well said, “Either some great evil has happened to him, or some great good to another.” It has been very aptly said, “The man who keeps busy helping the man below him will not have time to envy the man above him; and there may not be anyone above him.”

Be Not High-Minded
A story is told of a watch which became dissatisfied with its little sphere in a lady’s pocket. It envied Big Ben, the great tower clock in London. One day, as it passed over Westminster Bridge with its mistress, the little watch was heard to say, “I wish I could be up there. I could then serve the multitude.” “You shall have your opportunity, little watch,” said a voice. Magically the watch was drawn up to the tower by a slender thread. When it reached the top, its mistress said to it, “Where are you, little watch? I cannot see you.” Nor could anybody else. Its elevation became its annihilation.

A Wish Granted
A little snail that lived by the ocean noticed with envy the big, beautiful shell in which the lobster lived. “What a grand palace the lobster carries on his back! I wish I lived in his place,” whined the little snail. “Oh, wouldn’t my friends admire me in that shell!”
In time a wonderful thing occurred. The watching, envious snail beheld the lobster walk right out of his shell to grow up in another, larger one. When the empty lobster shell lay neglected on the beach the snail said, “Now I shall have my wish.” And he boasted to all his friends that he was going to take up residence in a grand palace.
The birds and the animals then watched the snail pull himself loose from his own little shell and proudly crawl into the towering lobster shell. He huffed, puffed, blew, and gasped in an effort to make himself fit. But with all his efforts he felt very small inside the grand lobster shell. He grew tired, too. That night he died because the large, empty shell was so cold.
A wise old crow then said to the younger crows, “You see! That’s what comes of envy. What you have is enough. Be yourself and save yourself from a lot of trouble. How much better to be a little snail in a comfortable shell than to be a little snail in a big shell and freeze to death!”