Author Topic: “This do in remembrance of me.” - Spurgeon  (Read 7274 times)

Hal

“This do in remembrance of me.” - Spurgeon
« on: April 26, 2019, 12:21:20 am »

“This do in remembrance of me.”
1 Cor 11:24

It seems then, that Christians may forget Christ! There could be no need for this loving exhortation, ifthere were not a fearful supposition that our memoriesmight prove treacherous. Nor is this a baresupposition: it is, alas! too well confirmed in ourexperience, not as a possibility, but as a lamentablefact. It appears almost impossible that those who havebeen redeemed by the blood of the dying Lamb, andloved with an everlasting love by the eternal Son ofGod, should forget that gracious Saviour; but, ifstartling to the ear, it is, alas! too apparent to the eyeto allow us to deny the crime. Forget him who neverforgot us! Forget him who poured his blood forth forour sins! Forget him who loved us even to the death! Can it be possible? Yes, it is not only possible, butconscience confesses that it is too sadly a fault withall of us, that we suffer him to be as a wayfaring mantarrying but for a night. He whom we should makethe abiding tenant of our memories is but a visitortherein. The cross where one would think thatmemory would linger, and unmindfulness would bean unknown intruder, is desecrated by the feet offorgetfulness. Does not your conscience say that thisis true? Do you not find yourselves forgetful of Jesus? Some creature steals away your heart, and you areunmindful of him upon whom your affection ought tobe set. Some earthly business engrosses your attentionwhen you should fix your eye steadily upon the cross. It is the incessant turmoil of the world, the constantattraction of earthly things which takes away the soulfrom Christ. While memory too well preserves apoisonous weed, it suffereth the rose of Sharon towither. Let us charge ourselves to bind a heavenlyforget-me-not about our hearts for Jesus our Beloved, and, whatever else we let slip, let us hold fast to him.

Hal

Re: “This do in remembrance of me.” - Spurgeon
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 11:44:31 pm »
John 6:48-58. Jesus is the bread of life. If we do not eat his body and drink his blood, we cannot be saved. How do we eat Jesus' flesh if he has risen to Heaven? Only the first disciples/apostles were able to eat him. Is there any other way to obtain salvation? Should we eat his body raw, or should we complete the sacrifice and burn his body on the altar?

Come on Susan,
You don't actually believe that Christ was teaching Cannibalism do you?
Feeding the spirit is different than feeding the body, those that ate the manna from heaven all experienced earthly death.
Christ was talking about a spiritual food, much like when he talked about the water that gave everlasting life. Look at the verses more closely and remember when Christ is speaking to the disciples he did not offer them His flesh, but actually offered them unleavened bread and wine.
The bread, wine and water are all represented of the Gospel of Grace.

John 6:35-38
35. Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me will not hunger, and he who believes in Me will never thirst.
36. "But I said to you that you have seen Me, and yet do not believe.
37. "All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out.
38. "For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me.

John 4:13-15
13. Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again:
14. But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.
15. The woman saith unto him, Sir, give me this water, that I thirst not, neither come hither to draw.

John 7:37-39
37. In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.
38. He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
39. But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

Revelation 21:6
6. And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.

Hal

Hal

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 12:24:03 pm »
NO! We are sympathetically accepting His life and death as a work of our salvation. We are remembering Him as our sacrificial Lamb, and His word that He left with us.

H2O, now that is a total new one to me, congrats on thinking out of the box.

Hal

Hal

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 06:16:38 pm »
If we do not partake of the sacrificial atonement of Christ, we are yet in our sin. Just as if Jesus did not rise from the dead. If Jesus is not alive forever more, then our faith and our hope is in vain. Elijah was physically taken to Heaven, but he shed the body and became spirit at some point. Jesus was also taken bodily to Heaven, but his "change" came and he is coming as the holy Spirit to rapture the church.

I suggest you read John 16 concerning who the Spirit is.

There is no work for you to do Susan!

John 19:30 When he had received the drink, Jesus said, “It is finished.” With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.

Ephesians 1:3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ.
For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love
he predestined us for adoption to sonship through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will—
to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves.
In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace
that he lavished on us. With all wisdom and understanding,
he made known to us the mystery of his will according to his good pleasure, which he purposed in Christ,
to be put into effect when the times reach their fulfillment—to bring unity to all things in heaven and on earth under Christ.
In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will,
in order that we, who were the first to put our hope in Christ, might be for the praise of his glory.
 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit,
who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory.

Let me ask this, who was the first Christian in the Bible, and what did he do to have his soul saved from hell?

Hal

« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 06:24:10 pm by Hal »

JB Horn

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 01:16:25 pm »
If we do not partake of the sacrificial atonement of Christ, we are yet in our sin. Just as if Jesus did not rise from the dead. If Jesus is not alive forever more, then our faith and our hope is in vain. Elijah was physically taken to Heaven, but he shed the body and became spirit at some point. Jesus was also taken bodily to Heaven, but his "change" came and he is coming as the holy Spirit to rapture the church.

That is the Roman Church speaking not the Scriptures.
JB

JB Horn

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 03:37:00 pm »
The Roman Catholic Church, aka the Vatican, is modern day Babylon. Isaiah 47:1. "Come down, and sit in the dust, O virgin daughter of Babylon, sit on the ground: there is no throne, O daughter of the Chaldeans..." Isaiah 14:4-5. "That thou shalt take up this proverb against the king of Babylon, and say, How hath the oppressor ceased! the golden city ceased! The Lord hath broken the staff of the wicked, and the sceptre of the rulers". Rome is a city built on seven hills, or mountains. Revelation 17 regarding the whore of Babylon, verse 9, "And here is the mind which hath wisdom. The seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman sitteth".

The Catholic Church:

“And he carried me away in the Spirit into a wilderness; and I saw a woman sitting on a scarlet beast, full of blasphemous names, having seven heads and ten horns. The woman was clothed in purple and scarlet, and adorned with gold and precious stones and pearls, having in her hand a gold cup full of abominations and of the unclean things of her immorality, and on her forehead a name was written, a mystery, “BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND OF THE ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.” And I saw the woman drunk with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the witnesses of Jesus. When I saw her, I wondered greatly. And the angel said to me, “Why do you wonder? I will tell you the mystery of the woman and of the beast that carries her, which has the seven heads and the ten horns.”
REVELATION‬ 17:3-7‬ NASB‬

biblebuf

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 10:17:27 am »
The Roman Catholic Church, aka the Vatican, is modern day Babylon. Isaiah 47:1. "Come down, and sit in the dust, O virgin daughter of Babylon, sit on the ground: there is no throne, O daughter of the Chaldeans..." Isaiah 14:4-5. "That thou shalt take up this proverb against the king of Babylon, and say, How hath the oppressor ceased! the golden city ceased! The Lord hath broken the staff of the wicked, and the sceptre of the rulers". Rome is a city built on seven hills, or mountains. Revelation 17 regarding the whore of Babylon, verse 9, "And here is the mind which hath wisdom. The seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman sitteth".

Yet you push the sacrament theology of the Catholic Church, Why?

BB

admin

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2019, 12:01:46 am »
I have to confess, I am flattering ya'll. Daniel 11:32. "And such as do wickedly against the covenant shall he corrupt by flatteries: but the people that do know their God shall be strong, and do exploits". I am neither Christian, nor Catholic. I was raised Christian, but I converted to Judaism about 36 years ago. I know if I tell the Truth I'll be banned. I do believe in the second coming of Jesus, but not in the conventional sense. If Admin wants to hear my POV, I will be glad to participate and comment.

You point of view is welcome. I am particular interested your view on the First coming of Jesus.

Admindude
Brother of the Jewish Christ.

Bob

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2019, 11:48:42 am »
Jesus was a righteous man who was unjustly executed. That would never happen in today's day and age. But the Jews did not have him killed, it was the multitudes that followed him who cried out to have him crucified. Jesus wanted to be crucified because he thought it would fulfill scripture. Jesus told his followers, "Take up your cross, and follow me". Matthew 10:38, Luke 9:23. The main problem I have with this is that Jesus' wrists were pierced, not his hands. Psalm 22:16. Death by torture and human sacrifice are forbidden by God. "Sacrifice" means "to make sacred" and the animal was ritually slaughtered in a manner to prevent undo pain and suffering. Jesus went to Heaven when he died mainly to preserve his life, it was spiritual, not physical.

That is not exactly what the Scriptures says.

“Then the whole body of them got up and brought Him before Pilate. And they began to accuse Him, saying, “We found this man misleading our nation and forbidding to pay taxes to Caesar, and saying that He Himself is Christ, a King.” So Pilate asked Him, saying, “Are You the King of the Jews?” And He answered him and said, “ It is as you say.” Then Pilate said to the chief priests and the crowds, “I find no guilt in this man.” But they kept on insisting, saying, “He stirs up the people, teaching all over Judea, starting from Galilee even as far as this place.” When Pilate heard it, he asked whether the man was a Galilean. And when he learned that He belonged to Herod’s jurisdiction, he sent Him to Herod, who himself also was in Jerusalem at that time.”
LUKE‬ 23:1-7‬ NASB‬‬

“See My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself; touch Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have.””•
LUKE‬ 24:39‬ NASB‬‬

Bob

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2019, 10:09:07 pm »
I cannot rely on the NT. It was written decades, if not centuries after Jesus died and there was no contemporaneous record kept when he was alive. It's all hearsay and it's full of contradictions. There are tens of thousands of Christian denominations, they all believe something different, and they cannot agree even amongst themselves.

Oh come on!
And who wrote the book of Genius? Tell me if you think it was a first or even 19999th hand account. Let’s face it, you can’t prove that Even that Abraham or Noah ever existed.

We call it faith.

This link makes some interesting points on the NT. 

https://y-jesus.com/can-new-testament-accounts-be-trusted/

Bob

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2019, 08:07:40 am »
Moses wrote the first five books of the Bible, the Torah. Except for the last part of Deuteronomy which was written after he died. God spoke to Moses face to face, he received the Decalogue from God, and Moses recorded what God said. There are 613 commandments in the Torah. If these laws did not come from God, we are lost. The Torah is the basis of a covenant that God made with the children of Israel. We have a promise of a long and prosperous life if we keep the 613 commandments. The final reward is the promise of the afterlife in Heaven.

My point seems to have gone over your head. Moses was not at any of the events that he wrote about nor did he hear it from anyone else who had been there. Paul tells us that all Scriptures are from God.  Why is it that you believe  Moses but not John or Paul? Where are the original manuscript from Moses, the closest you have is the Dead Sea scrolls.

Bob

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2019, 10:45:33 am »
Moses was present at the events described in the Torah, until he died and passed the mantle of leadership to Joshua. Moses brought Israel out of Egypt and was with them during the forty years they spent in the wilderness. "Scripture" is defined as the word of God, or inspired by God and it is holy. John and Paul were not prophets, God did not speak to them. The Decalogue was written in stone by the finger of God and the tablets were contained in the Ark of the Covenant.

Moses wrote Genius, Get real, Moses was one of the 8 on the Ark?  He met with Abraham and was there at the destruction of Sodom?
Why do you ignore the prophets in the Old Testament about the coming of the Christ?
You say Jesus was a good man but you call Him a liar and  fraud.

Bob

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2019, 11:43:30 am »
Here is a cut and paste I use sometimes in this debate.

His Nativity and Early Years
The fact: Genesis 3:15; Isaiah 7:14; Jeremiah 31:22
The place: Numbers 24:17, 19; Micah 5:2
Adoration by Magi: Psalm 72:10, 15; Isaiah 60: 3, 6

His Mission and Office
Mission: Genesis 12:3; 49:10; Numbers 24:19; Deuteronomy 18:18-19; Psalm 21:1; Isaiah 59:20; Jeremiah 33:16
Prophet like Moses: Deuteronomy 18:15
Conversion of Gentiles: Isaiah 11:10; Deuteronomy 32:43; Psalms 18:49; 19:4; 117:1; Isaiah 42:1; 45:23; 49:6; Hosea 1:10; 2:23; Joel 2:32
Ministry in Galilee: Isaiah 9:1-2
Preaching: Psalms 2:7; 78:2; Isaiah 2:3; 61:1; Micah 4:2

His Passion
Rejection by Jews and Gentiles: Psalms 2:1; 22:12; 41:5; 56:5; 69:8; 118:22-23; Isaiah 6:9-10; 8:14; 29:13; 53:1; 65:2
Persecution: Psalms 22:6; 35:7, 12; 56:5; 71:10; 109:2; Isaiah 49:7; 53:3
Triumphal entry: Psalms 8:2; 118:25-26; Zechariah 9:9
Betrayal by friend: Psalms 41:9; 55:13; Zechariah 13:6
False accusation: Psalms 2:1-2; 27:12; 35:11; 109:2
Silence under accusation: Psalm 38:13; Isaiah 53:7
Mocking: Psalms 22:7-8, 16; 109:25

His Resurrection
Psalms 2:7; 16:8-10; 30:3; 41:10; 118:17

His Ascension
Psalms 16:11; 24:7; 68:18; 110:1; 118:19

His Second Advent
Psalm 50:3-6; Isaiah 9:6-7; 66:18; Daniel 7:13-14; Zechariah 12:10; 14:4-8

His Universal, Everlasting Dominion
1 Chronicles 17:11-14; Psalms 2:6-8; 8:6; 45:6; 7; 72:8; 110:1-3; Isaiah 9:7; Daniel 7:14

Bob

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2019, 05:49:40 pm »
If that is what you want. I will high light the verses in red.

Genesis 22:1-24
1. And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham, and said unto him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am.
2. And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of.
3. And Abraham rose up early in the morning, and saddled his ass, and took two of his young men with him, and Isaac his son, and clave the wood for the burnt offering, and rose up, and went unto the place of which God had told him.
4. Then on the third day Abraham lifted up his eyes, and saw the place afar off.
5. And Abraham said unto his young men, Abide ye here with the ass; and I and the lad will go yonder and worship, and come again to you.
6. And Abraham took the wood of the burnt offering, and laid it upon Isaac his son; and he took the fire in his hand, and a knife; and they went both of them together.
7. And Isaac spake unto Abraham his father, and said, My father: and he said, Here am I, my son. And he said, Behold the fire and the wood: but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?
8. And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.
9. And they came to the place which God had told him of; and Abraham built an altar there, and laid the wood in order, and bound Isaac his son, and laid him on the altar upon the wood.
10. And Abraham stretched forth his hand, and took the knife to slay his son.
11. And the angel of the LORD called unto him out of heaven, and said, Abraham, Abraham: and he said, Here am I.
12. And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me.
13. And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold behind him a ram caught in a thicket by his horns: and Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt offering in the stead of his son.
14. And Abraham called the name of that place Jehovahjireh: as it is said to this day, In the mount of the LORD it shall be seen.
15. And the angel of the LORD called unto Abraham out of heaven the second time,
16. And said, By myself have I sworn, saith the LORD, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son:
17. That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies;
18. And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice.
19. So Abraham returned unto his young men, and they rose up and went together to Beersheba; and Abraham dwelt at Beersheba.
20. And it came to pass after these things, that it was told Abraham, saying, Behold, Milcah, she hath also born children unto thy brother Nahor;
21. Huz his firstborn, and Buz his brother, and Kemuel the father of Aram,
22. And Chesed, and Hazo, and Pildash, and Jidlaph, and Bethuel.
23. And Bethuel begat Rebekah: these eight Milcah did bear to Nahor, Abraham's brother.
24. And his concubine, whose name was Reumah, she bare also Tebah, and Gaham, and Thahash, and Maachah.

New Testament Fulfillment: Matthew 1:1
=========

Genesis 21:1-34
1. And the LORD visited Sarah as he had said, and the LORD did unto Sarah as he had spoken.
2. For Sarah conceived, and bare Abraham a son in his old age, at the set time of which God had spoken to him.
3. And Abraham called the name of his son that was born unto him, whom Sarah bare to him, Isaac.
4. And Abraham circumcised his son Isaac being eight days old, as God had commanded him.
5. And Abraham was an hundred years old, when his son Isaac was born unto him.
6. And Sarah said, God hath made me to laugh, so that all that hear will laugh with me.
7. And she said, Who would have said unto Abraham, that Sarah should have given children suck? for I have born him a son in his old age.
8. And the child grew, and was weaned: and Abraham made a great feast the same day that Isaac was weaned.
9. And Sarah saw the son of Hagar the Egyptian, which she had born unto Abraham, mocking.
10. Wherefore she said unto Abraham, Cast out this bondwoman and her son: for the son of this bondwoman shall not be heir with my son, even with Isaac.
11. And the thing was very grievous in Abraham's sight because of his son.
12. And God said unto Abraham, Let it not be grievous in thy sight because of the lad, and because of thy bondwoman; in all that Sarah hath said unto thee, hearken unto her voice; for in Isaac shall thy seed be called.
13. And also of the son of the bondwoman will I make a nation, because he is thy seed.
14. And Abraham rose up early in the morning, and took bread, and a bottle of water, and gave it unto Hagar, putting it on her shoulder, and the child, and sent her away: and she departed, and wandered in the wilderness of Beersheba.
15. And the water was spent in the bottle, and she cast the child under one of the shrubs.
16. And she went, and sat her down over against him a good way off, as it were a bowshot: for she said, Let me not see the death of the child. And she sat over against him, and lift up her voice, and wept.
17. And God heard the voice of the lad; and the angel of God called to Hagar out of heaven, and said unto her, What aileth thee, Hagar? fear not; for God hath heard the voice of the lad where he is.
18. Arise, lift up the lad, and hold him in thine hand; for I will make him a great nation.
19. And God opened her eyes, and she saw a well of water; and she went, and filled the bottle with water, and gave the lad drink.
20. And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.
21. And he dwelt in the wilderness of Paran: and his mother took him a wife out of the land of Egypt.
22. And it came to pass at that time, that Abimelech and Phichol the chief captain of his host spake unto Abraham, saying, God is with thee in all that thou doest:
23. Now therefore swear unto me here by God that thou wilt not deal falsely with me, nor with my son, nor with my son's son: but according to the kindness that I have done unto thee, thou shalt do unto me, and to the land wherein thou hast sojourned.
24. And Abraham said, I will swear.
25. And Abraham reproved Abimelech because of a well of water, which Abimelech's servants had violently taken away.
26. And Abimelech said, I wot not who hath done this thing: neither didst thou tell me, neither yet heard I of it, but to day.
27. And Abraham took sheep and oxen, and gave them unto Abimelech; and both of them made a covenant.
28. And Abraham set seven ewe lambs of the flock by themselves.
29. And Abimelech said unto Abraham, What mean these seven ewe lambs which thou hast set by themselves?
30. And he said, For these seven ewe lambs shalt thou take of my hand, that they may be a witness unto me, that I have digged this well.
31. Wherefore he called that place Beersheba; because there they sware both of them.
32. Thus they made a covenant at Beersheba: then Abimelech rose up, and Phichol the chief captain of his host, and they returned into the land of the Philistines.
33. And Abraham planted a grove in Beersheba, and called there on the name of the LORD, the everlasting God.
34. And Abraham sojourned in the Philistines' land many days.

New Testament Fulfillment: Luke 3:34,  Luke 2:4-7

===========

Micah 5:1-15
1. Now gather thyself in troops, O daughter of troops: he hath laid siege against us: they shall smite the judge of Israel with a rod upon the cheek.
2. But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.
3. Therefore will he give them up, until the time that she which travaileth hath brought forth: then the remnant of his brethren shall return unto the children of Israel.
4. And he shall stand and feed in the strength of the LORD, in the majesty of the name of the LORD his God; and they shall abide: for now shall he be great unto the ends of the earth.
5. And this man shall be the peace, when the Assyrian shall come into our land: and when he shall tread in our palaces, then shall we raise against him seven shepherds, and eight principal men.
6. And they shall waste the land of Assyria with the sword, and the land of Nimrod in the entrances thereof: thus shall he deliver us from the Assyrian, when he cometh into our land, and when he treadeth within our borders.
7. And the remnant of Jacob shall be in the midst of many people as a dew from the LORD, as the showers upon the grass, that tarrieth not for man, nor waiteth for the sons of men.
8. And the remnant of Jacob shall be among the Gentiles in the midst of many people as a lion among the beasts of the forest, as a young lion among the flocks of sheep: who, if he go through, both treadeth down, and teareth in pieces, and none can deliver.
9. Thine hand shall be lifted up upon thine adversaries, and all thine enemies shall be cut off.
10. And it shall come to pass in that day, saith the LORD, that I will cut off thy horses out of the midst of thee, and I will destroy thy chariots:
11. And I will cut off the cities of thy land, and throw down all thy strong holds:
12. And I will cut off witchcrafts out of thine hand; and thou shalt have no more soothsayers:
13. Thy graven images also will I cut off, and thy standing images out of the midst of thee; and thou shalt no more worship the work of thine hands.
14. And I will pluck up thy groves out of the midst of thee: so will I destroy thy cities.
15. And I will execute vengeance in anger and fury upon the heathen, such as they have not heard.

New Testament Fulfillment: Luke 3:33

=======

Isaiah 11:1-16 (all)
1. And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots:
2. And the spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD;
3. And shall make him of quick understanding in the fear of the LORD: and he shall not judge after the sight of his eyes, neither reprove after the hearing of his ears:
4. But with righteousness shall he judge the poor, and reprove with equity for the meek of the earth: and he shall smite the earth with the rod of his mouth, and with the breath of his lips shall he slay the wicked.
5. And righteousness shall be the girdle of his loins, and faithfulness the girdle of his reins.
6. The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.
7. And the cow and the bear shall feed; their young ones shall lie down together: and the lion shall eat straw like the ox.
8. And the sucking child shall play on the hole of the asp, and the weaned child shall put his hand on the cockatrice' den.
9. They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain: for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea.
10. And in that day there shall be a root of Jesse, which shall stand for an ensign of the people; to it shall the Gentiles seek: and his rest shall be glorious.
11. And it shall come to pass in that day, that the Lord shall set his hand again the second time to recover the remnant of his people, which shall be left, from Assyria, and from Egypt, and from Pathros, and from Cush, and from Elam, and from Shinar, and from Hamath, and from the islands of the sea.
12. And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the four corners of the earth.
13. The envy also of Ephraim shall depart, and the adversaries of Judah shall be cut off: Ephraim shall not envy Judah, and Judah shall not vex Ephraim.
14. But they shall fly upon the shoulders of the Philistines toward the west; they shall spoil them of the east together: they shall lay their hand upon Edom and Moab; and the children of Ammon shall obey them.
15. And the LORD shall utterly destroy the tongue of the Egyptian sea; and with his mighty wind shall he shake his hand over the river, and shall smite it in the seven streams, and make men go over dryshod.
16. And there shall be an highway for the remnant of his people, which shall be left, from Assyria; like as it was to Israel in the day that he came up out of the land of Egypt.

New Testament Fulfillment: Luke 3:32

=========

Jeremiah 23:1-40
1. Woe be unto the pastors that destroy and scatter the sheep of my pasture! saith the LORD.
2. Therefore thus saith the LORD God of Israel against the pastors that feed my people; Ye have scattered my flock, and driven them away, and have not visited them: behold, I will visit upon you the evil of your doings, saith the LORD.
3. And I will gather the remnant of my flock out of all countries whither I have driven them, and will bring them again to their folds; and they shall be fruitful and increase.
4. And I will set up shepherds over them which shall feed them: and they shall fear no more, nor be dismayed, neither shall they be lacking, saith the LORD.
5. Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and a King shall reign and prosper, and shall execute judgment and justice in the earth.
6. In his days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely: and this is his name whereby he shall be called, THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS.

7. Therefore, behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that they shall no more say, The LORD liveth, which brought up the children of Israel out of the land of Egypt;
8. But, The LORD liveth, which brought up and which led the seed of the house of Israel out of the north country, and from all countries whither I had driven them; and they shall dwell in their own land.
9. Mine heart within me is broken because of the prophets; all my bones shake; I am like a drunken man, and like a man whom wine hath overcome, because of the LORD, and because of the words of his holiness.
10. For the land is full of adulterers; for because of swearing the land mourneth; the pleasant places of the wilderness are dried up, and their course is evil, and their force is not right.
11. For both prophet and priest are profane; yea, in my house have I found their wickedness, saith the LORD.
12. Wherefore their way shall be unto them as slippery ways in the darkness: they shall be driven on, and fall therein: for I will bring evil upon them, even the year of their visitation, saith the LORD.
13. And I have seen folly in the prophets of Samaria; they prophesied in Baal, and caused my people Israel to err.
14. I have seen also in the prophets of Jerusalem an horrible thing: they commit adultery, and walk in lies: they strengthen also the hands of evildoers, that none doth return from his wickedness: they are all of them unto me as Sodom, and the inhabitants thereof as Gomorrah.
15. Therefore thus saith the LORD of hosts concerning the prophets; Behold, I will feed them with wormwood, and make them drink the water of gall: for from the prophets of Jerusalem is profaneness gone forth into all the land.
16. Thus saith the LORD of hosts, Hearken not unto the words of the prophets that prophesy unto you: they make you vain: they speak a vision of their own heart, and not out of the mouth of the LORD.
17. They say still unto them that despise me, The LORD hath said, Ye shall have peace; and they say unto every one that walketh after the imagination of his own heart, No evil shall come upon you.
18. For who hath stood in the counsel of the LORD, and hath perceived and heard his word? who hath marked his word, and heard it?
19. Behold, a whirlwind of the LORD is gone forth in fury, even a grievous whirlwind: it shall fall grievously upon the head of the wicked.
20. The anger of the LORD shall not return, until he have executed, and till he have performed the thoughts of his heart: in the latter days ye shall consider it perfectly.
21. I have not sent these prophets, yet they ran: I have not spoken to them, yet they prophesied.
22. But if they had stood in my counsel, and had caused my people to hear my words, then they should have turned them from their evil way, and from the evil of their doings.
23. Am I a God at hand, saith the LORD, and not a God afar off?
24. Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? saith the LORD. Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the LORD.
25. I have heard what the prophets said, that prophesy lies in my name, saying, I have dreamed, I have dreamed.
26. How long shall this be in the heart of the prophets that prophesy lies? yea, they are prophets of the deceit of their own heart;
27. Which think to cause my people to forget my name by their dreams which they tell every man to his neighbour, as their fathers have forgotten my name for Baal.
28. The prophet that hath a dream, let him tell a dream; and he that hath my word, let him speak my word faithfully. What is the chaff to the wheat? saith the LORD.
29. Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces?
30. Therefore, behold, I am against the prophets, saith the LORD, that steal my words every one from his neighbour.
31. Behold, I am against the prophets, saith the LORD, that use their tongues, and say, He saith.
32. Behold, I am against them that prophesy false dreams, saith the LORD, and do tell them, and cause my people to err by their lies, and by their lightness; yet I sent them not, nor commanded them: therefore they shall not profit this people at all, saith the LORD.
33. And when this people, or the prophet, or a priest, shall ask thee, saying, What is the burden of the LORD? thou shalt then say unto them, What burden? I will even forsake you, saith the LORD.
34. And as for the prophet, and the priest, and the people, that shall say, The burden of the LORD, I will even punish that man and his house.
35. Thus shall ye say every one to his neighbour, and every one to his brother, What hath the LORD answered? and, What hath the LORD spoken?
36. And the burden of the LORD shall ye mention no more: for every man's word shall be his burden; for ye have perverted the words of the living God, of the LORD of hosts our God.
37. Thus shalt thou say to the prophet, What hath the LORD answered thee? and, What hath the LORD spoken?
38. But since ye say, The burden of the LORD; therefore thus saith the LORD; Because ye say this word, The burden of the LORD, and I have sent unto you, saying, Ye shall not say, The burden of the LORD;
39. Therefore, behold, I, even I, will utterly forget you, and I will forsake you, and the city that I gave you and your fathers, and cast you out of my presence:
40. And I will bring an everlasting reproach upon you, and a perpetual shame, which shall not be forgotten.

New Testament Fulfillment: Luke 3:31

Continued below

« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 05:51:18 pm by Bob »

Bob

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2019, 06:01:57 pm »
========

Isaiah 7:1-25
1. And it came to pass in the days of Ahaz the son of Jotham, the son of Uzziah, king of Judah, that Rezin the king of Syria, and Pekah the son of Remaliah, king of Israel, went up toward Jerusalem to war against it, but could not prevail against it.
2. And it was told the house of David, saying, Syria is confederate with Ephraim. And his heart was moved, and the heart of his people, as the trees of the wood are moved with the wind.
3. Then said the LORD unto Isaiah, Go forth now to meet Ahaz, thou, and Shearjashub thy son, at the end of the conduit of the upper pool in the highway of the fuller's field;
4. And say unto him, Take heed, and be quiet; fear not, neither be fainthearted for the two tails of these smoking firebrands, for the fierce anger of Rezin with Syria, and of the son of Remaliah.
5. Because Syria, Ephraim, and the son of Remaliah, have taken evil counsel against thee, saying,
6. Let us go up against Judah, and vex it, and let us make a breach therein for us, and set a king in the midst of it, even the son of Tabeal:
7. Thus saith the Lord GOD, It shall not stand, neither shall it come to pass.
8. For the head of Syria is Damascus, and the head of Damascus is Rezin; and within threescore and five years shall Ephraim be broken, that it be not a people.
9. And the head of Ephraim is Samaria, and the head of Samaria is Remaliah's son. If ye will not believe, surely ye shall not be established.
10. Moreover the LORD spake again unto Ahaz, saying,
11. Ask thee a sign of the LORD thy God; ask it either in the depth, or in the height above.
12. But Ahaz said, I will not ask, neither will I tempt the LORD.
13. And he said, Hear ye now, O house of David; Is it a small thing for you to weary men, but will ye weary my God also?
14. Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
15. Butter and honey shall he eat, that he may know to refuse the evil, and choose the good.
16. For before the child shall know to refuse the evil, and choose the good, the land that thou abhorrest shall be forsaken of both her kings.
17. The LORD shall bring upon thee, and upon thy people, and upon thy father's house, days that have not come, from the day that Ephraim departed from Judah; even the king of Assyria.
18. And it shall come to pass in that day, that the LORD shall hiss for the fly that is in the uttermost part of the rivers of Egypt, and for the bee that is in the land of Assyria.
19. And they shall come, and shall rest all of them in the desolate valleys, and in the holes of the rocks, and upon all thorns, and upon all bushes.
20. In the same day shall the Lord shave with a razor that is hired, namely, by them beyond the river, by the king of Assyria, the head, and the hair of the feet: and it shall also consume the beard.
21. And it shall come to pass in that day, that a man shall nourish a young cow, and two sheep;
22. And it shall come to pass, for the abundance of milk that they shall give he shall eat butter: for butter and honey shall every one eat that is left in the land.
23. And it shall come to pass in that day, that every place shall be, where there were a thousand vines at a thousand silverlings, it shall even be for briers and thorns.
24. With arrows and with bows shall men come thither; because all the land shall become briers and thorns.
25. And on all hills that shall be digged with the mattock, there shall not come thither the fear of briers and thorns: but it shall be for the sending forth of oxen, and for the treading of lesser cattle.

New Testament Fulfillment: Matthew 1:18

============

Psalm 72:1-20
1. Give the king thy judgments, O God, and thy righteousness unto the king's son.
2. He shall judge thy people with righteousness, and thy poor with judgment.
3. The mountains shall bring peace to the people, and the little hills, by righteousness.
4. He shall judge the poor of the people, he shall save the children of the needy, and shall break in pieces the oppressor.
5. They shall fear thee as long as the sun and moon endure, throughout all generations.
6. He shall come down like rain upon the mown grass: as showers that water the earth.
7. In his days shall the righteous flourish; and abundance of peace so long as the moon endureth.
8. He shall have dominion also from sea to sea, and from the river unto the ends of the earth.
9. They that dwell in the wilderness shall bow before him; and his enemies shall lick the dust.
10. The kings of Tarshish and of the isles shall bring presents: the kings of Sheba and Seba shall offer gifts.
11. Yea, all kings shall fall down before him: all nations shall serve him.
12. For he shall deliver the needy when he crieth; the poor also, and him that hath no helper.
13. He shall spare the poor and needy, and shall save the souls of the needy.
14. He shall redeem their soul from deceit and violence: and precious shall their blood be in his sight.
15. And he shall live, and to him shall be given of the gold of Sheba: prayer also shall be made for him continually; and daily shall he be praised.
16. There shall be an handful of corn in the earth upon the top of the mountains; the fruit thereof shall shake like Lebanon: and they of the city shall flourish like grass of the earth.
17. His name shall endure for ever: his name shall be continued as long as the sun: and men shall be blessed in him: all nations shall call him blessed.
18. Blessed be the LORD God, the God of Israel, who only doeth wondrous things.
19. And blessed be his glorious name for ever: and let the whole earth be filled with his glory; Amen, and Amen.
20. The prayers of David the son of Jesse are ended.

New Testament Fulfillment: Matthew 2:11,  Luke 2:9

======

Jeremiah 31:1-40
1. At the same time, saith the LORD, will I be the God of all the families of Israel, and they shall be my people.
2. Thus saith the LORD, The people which were left of the sword found grace in the wilderness; even Israel, when I went to cause him to rest.
3. The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.
4. Again I will build thee, and thou shalt be built, O virgin of Israel: thou shalt again be adorned with thy tabrets, and shalt go forth in the dances of them that make merry.
5. Thou shalt yet plant vines upon the mountains of Samaria: the planters shall plant, and shall eat them as common things.
6. For there shall be a day, that the watchmen upon the mount Ephraim shall cry, Arise ye, and let us go up to Zion unto the LORD our God.
7. For thus saith the LORD; Sing with gladness for Jacob, and shout among the chief of the nations: publish ye, praise ye, and say, O LORD, save thy people, the remnant of Israel.
8. Behold, I will bring them from the north country, and gather them from the coasts of the earth, and with them the blind and the lame, the woman with child and her that travaileth with child together: a great company shall return thither.
9. They shall come with weeping, and with supplications will I lead them: I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble: for I am a father to Israel, and Ephraim is my firstborn.
10. Hear the word of the LORD, O ye nations, and declare it in the isles afar off, and say, He that scattered Israel will gather him, and keep him, as a shepherd doth his flock.
11. For the LORD hath redeemed Jacob, and ransomed him from the hand of him that was stronger than he.
12. Therefore they shall come and sing in the height of Zion, and shall flow together to the goodness of the LORD, for wheat, and for wine, and for oil, and for the young of the flock and of the herd: and their soul shall be as a watered garden; and they shall not sorrow any more at all.
13. Then shall the virgin rejoice in the dance, both young men and old together: for I will turn their mourning into joy, and will comfort them, and make them rejoice from their sorrow.
14. And I will satiate the soul of the priests with fatness, and my people shall be satisfied with my goodness, saith the LORD.
15. Thus saith the LORD; A voice was heard in Ramah, lamentation, and bitter weeping; Rahel weeping for her children refused to be comforted for her children, because they were not.
16. Thus saith the LORD; Refrain thy voice from weeping, and thine eyes from tears: for thy work shall be rewarded, saith the LORD; and they shall come again from the land of the enemy.
17. And there is hope in thine end, saith the LORD, that thy children shall come again to their own border.
18. I have surely heard Ephraim bemoaning himself thus; Thou hast chastised me, and I was chastised, as a bullock unaccustomed to the yoke: turn thou me, and I shall be turned; for thou art the LORD my God.
19. Surely after that I was turned, I repented; and after that I was instructed, I smote upon my thigh: I was ashamed, yea, even confounded, because I did bear the reproach of my youth.
20. Is Ephraim my dear son? is he a pleasant child? for since I spake against him, I do earnestly remember him still: therefore my bowels are troubled for him; I will surely have mercy upon him, saith the LORD.
21. Set thee up waymarks, make thee high heaps: set thine heart toward the highway, even the way which thou wentest: turn again, O virgin of Israel, turn again to these thy cities.
22. How long wilt thou go about, O thou backsliding daughter? for the LORD hath created a new thing in the earth, A woman shall compass a man.
23. Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel; As yet they shall use this speech in the land of Judah and in the cities thereof, when I shall bring again their captivity; The LORD bless thee, O habitation of justice, and mountain of holiness.
24. And there shall dwell in Judah itself, and in all the cities thereof together, husbandmen, and they that go forth with flocks.
25. For I have satiated the weary soul, and I have replenished every sorrowful soul.
26. Upon this I awaked, and beheld; and my sleep was sweet unto me.
27. Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will sow the house of Israel and the house of Judah with the seed of man, and with the seed of beast.
28. And it shall come to pass, that like as I have watched over them, to pluck up, and to break down, and to throw down, and to destroy, and to afflict; so will I watch over them, to build, and to plant, saith the LORD.
29. In those days they shall say no more, The fathers have eaten a sour grape, and the children's teeth are set on edge.
30. But every one shall die for his own iniquity: every man that eateth the sour grape, his teeth shall be set on edge.
31. Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
32. Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:
33. But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
34. And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.
35. Thus saith the LORD, which giveth the sun for a light by day, and the ordinances of the moon and of the stars for a light by night, which divideth the sea when the waves thereof roar; The LORD of hosts is his name:
36. If those ordinances depart from before me, saith the LORD, then the seed of Israel also shall cease from being a nation before me for ever.
37. Thus saith the LORD; If heaven above can be measured, and the foundations of the earth searched out beneath, I will also cast off all the seed of Israel for all that they have done, saith the LORD.
38. Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that the city shall be built to the LORD from the tower of Hananeel unto the gate of the corner.
39. And the measuring line shall yet go forth over against it upon the hill Gareb, and shall compass about to Goath.
40. And the whole valley of the dead bodies, and of the ashes, and all the fields unto the brook of Kidron, unto the corner of the horse gate toward the east, shall be holy unto the LORD; it shall not be plucked up, nor thrown down any more for ever.

New Testament Fulfillment: Matthew 2:16

=======

Hosea 11:1-12
1. When Israel was a child, then I loved him, and called my son out of Egypt.
2. As they called them, so they went from them: they sacrificed unto Baalim, and burned incense to graven images.
3. I taught Ephraim also to go, taking them by their arms; but they knew not that I healed them.
4. I drew them with cords of a man, with bands of love: and I was to them as they that take off the yoke on their jaws, and I laid meat unto them.
5. He shall not return into the land of Egypt, but the Assyrian shall be his king, because they refused to return.
6. And the sword shall abide on his cities, and shall consume his branches, and devour them, because of their own counsels.
7. And my people are bent to backsliding from me: though they called them to the most High, none at all would exalt him.
8. How shall I give thee up, Ephraim? how shall I deliver thee, Israel? how shall I make thee as Admah? how shall I set thee as Zeboim? mine heart is turned within me, my repentings are kindled together.
9. I will not execute the fierceness of mine anger, I will not return to destroy Ephraim: for I am God, and not man; the Holy One in the midst of thee: and I will not enter into the city.
10. They shall walk after the LORD: he shall roar like a lion: when he shall roar, then the children shall tremble from the west.
11. They shall tremble as a bird out of Egypt, and as a dove out of the land of Assyria: and I will place them in their houses, saith the LORD.
12. Ephraim compasseth me about with lies, and the house of Israel with deceit: but Judah yet ruleth with God, and is faithful with the saints.

New Testament Fulfillment: Matthew 2:13-14

========

Psalm 110:1-7
1. The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool.
2. The LORD shall send the rod of thy strength out of Zion: rule thou in the midst of thine enemies.
3. Thy people shall be willing in the day of thy power, in the beauties of holiness from the womb of the morning: thou hast the dew of thy youth.
4. The LORD hath sworn, and will not repent, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek.
5. The Lord at thy right hand shall strike through kings in the day of his wrath.
6. He shall judge among the heathen, he shall fill the places with the dead bodies; he shall wound the heads over many countries.
7. He shall drink of the brook in the way: therefore shall he lift up the head.

New Testament Fulfillment: Luke 2:11

=======

Psalm 2:1-12
1. Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing?
2. The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his anointed, saying,
3. Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us.
4. He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision.
5. Then shall he speak unto them in his wrath, and vex them in his sore displeasure.
6. Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion.
7. I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee.
8. Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession.
9. Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron; thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel.
10. Be wise now therefore, O ye kings: be instructed, ye judges of the earth.
11. Serve the LORD with fear, and rejoice with trembling.
12. Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they that put their trust in him.

New Testament Fulfillment: Luke 3:22
(Matthew 3:17, Mark 1:11)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 06:04:20 pm by Bob »