Bible Talk > Apologetics

Believers stay righteous by practicing righteousness

(1/1)

BCsenior:
Scripture teaches that one’s righteous standing before God can be lost.
Believers must be sanctified unto holiness progressively – for salvation is a process!

“… let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous just as He is righteous. He who sins is of the devil … Whoever has been born of God does not sin (habitually) … In this the children of God and the children of the devil are manifest:
whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God” (1 John 3:7-10)   
Notice who “the children of God” are vs. who belongs to Satan.

Believers who are “faithful” will be obedient to Jesus’ commandments and practice righteousness
 … and will have a standing of righteousness before the Lord.

“… you know that everyone who practices righteousness is born of Him.” (1 John 2:29)
But, do all believers who are born of God practice righteousness?

“… who fears Him and works righteousness is accepted by Him” (Acts 10:35)

“All Scripture … is profitable for … instruction in righteousness
  (i.e. instruction in the practicing of righteousness)” (2 Timothy 3:16)

“… we, having died to sins, should live for righteousness
  (i.e. live for the practicing of righteousness)” (1 Peter 2:24)

“But you, O man of God, flee these things and pursue righteousness and a godly life
 … Run from anything that stimulates youthful lusts.  Instead, pursue righteous living”
(1 Timothy 6:11, 2 Timothy 2:22)

“… you can choose to obey God, which leads to righteous living … Now you must give
yourselves to be slaves to righteous living so that you will become holy.” (Romans 6:16-19) 
“holiness, without which no one will see the Lord.” (Hebrews 12:14)

“Seek the Kingdom of God above all else and live righteously” (Matthew 6:33)   
Yes, we need to seek to live like Jesus lived, which is righteously!

“But we who live by the Spirit eagerly wait to receive by faith
the righteousness God has promised to us.” (Galatians 5:5)
Living by the Spirit (practicing righteousness) results in continuing to be righteous!

“I want you to understand what really matters, so that you may live pure and blameless lives
until the day of Christ’s return. May you always be filled with the fruit of your salvation –
the righteous character produced in your life by Jesus Christ” (Philippians 1:10-11) 
The fruit of being saved is a lifestyle of righteousness!   

“Anyone who continues to live in him will not sin … Those who have been born into
God’s family do not make a practice of sinning … We know that God’s children
do not make a practice of sinning” (1 John 3:6, 3:9, 5:18)

This multitude of Scripture verses should convince us that
“works righteousness” is also required for salvation.

biblebuf:

--- Quote from: BCsenior on July 15, 2019, 09:29:24 am ---Scripture teaches that one’s righteous standing before God can be lost. First of all when you're standing in front of God you're not standing in your own righteousness, your standing in the righteousness that comes from Christ.
Believers must be sanctified unto holiness progressively – for salvation is a process!  Salvation is a gift, not something that you have earned, to obtain the gift all you have to do is open the package.
“… let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous just as He is righteous. He who sins is of the devil … Whoever has been born of God does not sin (habitually) … In this the children of God and the children of the devil are manifest:
whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God” (1 John 3:7-10)   
Notice who “the children of God” are vs. who belongs to Satan. You are making my point here, he who belongs to Satan belongs to Satan. Satan cannot snatch a believer from the hands of God. Biblical references already posted.

Believers who are “faithful” will be obedient to Jesus’ commandments and practice righteousness
 … and will have a standing of righteousness before the Lord. Yes!

“… you know that everyone who practices righteousness is born of Him.” (1 John 2:29)
But, do all believers who are born of God practice righteousness? For instance ?

“… who fears Him and works righteousness is accepted by Him” (Acts 10:35)

“All Scripture … is profitable for … instruction in righteousness
  (i.e. instruction in the practicing of righteousness)” (2 Timothy 3:16)

“… we, having died to sins, should live for righteousness
  (i.e. live for the practicing of righteousness)” (1 Peter 2:24) Yes.

“But you, O man of God, flee these things and pursue righteousness and a godly life
 … Run from anything that stimulates youthful lusts.  Instead, pursue righteous living”
(1 Timothy 6:11, 2 Timothy 2:22)

“… you can choose to obey God, which leads to righteous living … Now you must give
yourselves to be slaves to righteous living so that you will become holy.” (Romans 6:16-19) 
“holiness, without which no one will see the Lord.” (Hebrews 12:14)

“Seek the Kingdom of God above all else and live righteously” (Matthew 6:33)   
Yes, we need to seek to live like Jesus lived, which is righteously!

“But we who live by the Spirit eagerly wait to receive by faith
the righteousness God has promised to us.” (Galatians 5:5)
Living by the Spirit (practicing righteousness) results in continuing to be righteous!

“I want you to understand what really matters, so that you may live pure and blameless lives
until the day of Christ’s return. May you always be filled with the fruit of your salvation –
the righteous character produced in your life by Jesus Christ” (Philippians 1:10-11) 
The fruit of being saved is a lifestyle of righteousness!    Yes, so why did you write the opposite below?

“Anyone who continues to live in him will not sin … Those who have been born into
God’s family do not make a practice of sinning … We know that God’s children
do not make a practice of sinning” (1 John 3:6, 3:9, 5:18)

This multitude of Scripture verses should convince us that
“works righteousness” is also required for salvation. If you study James you will discover that Works is a result of salvation resulting is LOVE for Christ. Not the other way around.

--- End quote ---

Reading your post it appears to me that you believe everybody that confesses God and is baptized as a believer. I would dispute that and it doesn't take a lot of research to find examples in the New Testament.

John 6:70 - KJV
70. Jesus answered them, Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil?

BCsenior:
biblebuf,

I'm afraid that you'll need to read the OP verses with an open mind, heart, spirit, etc.

biblebuf:

--- Quote from: BCsenior on July 16, 2019, 11:19:30 am ---biblebuf,

I'm afraid that you'll need to read the OP verses with an open mind, heart, spirit, etc.

--- End quote ---

Nice talking with you BC.
Bless you
BB

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version