Author Topic: James 1:21-25  (Read 1359 times)

clark thompson

James 1:21-25
« on: February 24, 2013, 04:48:48 am »

James 1:21-25

New King James Version (NKJV)

Doers—Not Hearers Only

21 Therefore lay aside all filthiness and overflow of wickedness, and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls.

22 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. 23 For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man observing his natural face in a mirror; 24 for he observes himself, goes away, and immediately forgets what kind of man he was. 25 But he who looks into the perfect law of liberty and continues in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this one will be blessed in what he does.

these are my thoughts please share yours
    21 The bible in Romans refers to men inventing new ways to sin we can do this without Christ leading our life with Christ leading our life we get the fruits of the Spirit and with Christ the word can mean everything to us.
    22 This is very hard thing to do if we think about it but it is something we should strive to doand through this souls will be one for the Lord.
    23-24 Just like the man don't know what he looks like we would not know where Jesus has brought us from if we are only hearers of the word and not doers as well. To follow the word is a way of being set apart from thee world the other way is to show the fruits of the Spirit.
    25 We who have recieved the word in our hearts are blessed because of it and more true blessing will come from obeying it as well.

It is far better to be a servant of the King than to be a king in hell

Fat

Re: James 1:21-25
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 02:53:28 pm »
New American Standard

Quote from: James 1
21 Therefore, putting aside all filthiness and all that remains of wickedness, in humility receive the word implanted, which is able to save your souls. 22 But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves. 23 For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks at his natural face in a mirror ; 24 for once he has looked at himself and gone away, he has immediately forgotten what kind of person he was. 25 But one who looks intently at the perfect law, the law of liberty, and abides by it, not having become a forgetful hearer but an effectual doer, this man will be blessed in what he does.

Here are some other scriptures that cover the same topic.
Matthew 7
17 "So every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 "A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, nor can a bad tree produce good fruit. 19 "Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 "So then, you will know them by their fruits. 21 "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. 22 "Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles ?' 23 "And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.'

Titus 1
16 They profess to know God, but by their deeds they deny Him, being detestable and disobedient and worthless for any good deed.

The gospel must be received by you in humility and not with pride. A proud man cannot admit his sinful nature and therefore cannot use the keys to the kingdom of heaven, that being the gospel.

Good fruit is the fruit that glorifies God and not fruit that glorifies man or man-made organizations.

macuser

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 09:00:15 am »
I like the Matt 7 reference it shows that good works not motivated by love in Him are worthless.

I would like to summit to both of you that the law is the mirror that shows us who we really are.

Romans 7:7-9 (KJV)

7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.

8 But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.

9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.

Fat

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 11:24:57 pm »
I like the Matt 7 reference it shows that good works not motivated by love in Him are worthless.

I would like to summit to both of you that the law is the mirror that shows us who we really are.

Romans 7:7-9 (KJV)

7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.

8 But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.

9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.

I totally missed the mirror thing  :-*